Re: Ballon eval: planned? (also: installing PyClewn on Mac OS X)

  • Andrew Long
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
      On 8 Nov 2008, at 14:49, björn wrote:

      > Hi Meikel,
      >
      > 2008/11/8 Meikel Brandmeyer <mb@...>:
      >>
      >> One question: I found out, that MacVim doesn't support
      >> balloon_eval according to some conversation on the
      >> list in April. Are the plans to implement balloon_eval also
      >> for the Mac GUI?
      >
      > It is on my todo list but lately I've kind of busy so it will be a
      > while before I get a chance to look into it. As far as I understand,
      > what is needed is to implement the Netbeans protocol so if somebody
      > else is interested in working on this please let me know.

      That was me, and Jigod was the one who put me out of my misery by
      pointing out that ballooneval wasn't in Mac GUI code. Although he didn't
      say that it required netbeans :(

      That also seems to mess me up in terms of getting pyclewn running on
      macvim, as it DEFINITELY requires netbeans integration. and there was me
      about to download the macvim source and build it with netbeans)

      Isn't in strange how life seems to push you in a particular direction,
      and won't take no for an answer? It just won't listen to me when I tell
      it that I don't have the time (or is it the energy) to send on such
      projects?

      Ok Björn. How much work do you think it'll be to implement netbeans
      support in macvim? I've got a couple of weeks vacation coming up and
      it'll give me something to do....

      regards, Andy

      PS - I've searched the help for how to type combining characters and
      couldn't find a hint. I was trying to type your name properly, and was
      reduced to yanking it from the start of the mail :(

      --
      Andrew Long
      andrew dot long at mac dot com

    • mb
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
        Hi,

        On Nov 9, 10:29 am, Andrew Long <andrew.l...@...> wrote:
        > PS - I've searched the help for how to type combining characters and
        > couldn't find a hint. I was trying to type your name properly, and was
        > reduced to yanking it from the start of the mail :(

        What you are looking for is maybe digraphs. In insert mode
        <C-k>o: gives me an ö. :digraphs shows the combinations.

        Sincerely
        Meikel

      • Andrew Long
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
          On 9 Nov 2008, at 11:54, mb wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > On Nov 9, 10:29 am, Andrew Long <andrew.l...@...> wrote:
          >> PS - I've searched the help for how to type combining characters and
          >> couldn't find a hint. I was trying to type your name properly, and
          >> was
          >> reduced to yanking it from the start of the mail :(
          >
          > What you are looking for is maybe digraphs. In insert mode
          > <C-k>o: gives me an ö. :digraphs shows the combinations.

          That sounds like it... Grüß Gott! And it works.

          One of the things I find difficulty with in searching the Vim
          documentation is the many different ways the feature that you're looking
          for may be indexed under. I was searching for 'composing' wihcih led me
          onto 'combining'. There may have been a reference to 'digraphs' there...
          no there aren't, at least not directly in the part of mbyte.txt that you
          jump to with ':he composing'. I assume from the context that the term
          'composing' is mainly for use in oriental/pictographic type languages
          (although, thinking about it, it'd probably be useful in implementing
          languages like arabic, where the shape of a character is affected by
          it's position...)

          Thanks, Meikel

          regards, Andy

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
            2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:

            >> It is on my todo list but lately I've kind of busy so it will be a
            >> while before I get a chance to look into it. As far as I understand,
            >> what is needed is to implement the Netbeans protocol so if somebody
            >> else is interested in working on this please let me know.
            >>
            > That was me, and Jigod was the one who put me out of my misery by
            > pointing out that ballooneval wasn't in Mac GUI code. Although he didn't
            > say that it required netbeans :(

            I was probably wrong -- balloon_eval does not seem to require
            netbeans. Nico has told me he is going to look into implementing the
            balloon_eval feature.

            > That also seems to mess me up in terms of getting pyclewn running on
            > macvim, as it DEFINITELY requires netbeans integration. and there was me
            > about to download the macvim source and build it with netbeans)

            Yes, so both netbeans and baloon_eval is needed. I don't think Nico
            intended to implement netbeans though (or did you Nico?) so there is
            still something to do to get pyclewn working.

            > Ok Björn. How much work do you think it'll be to implement netbeans
            > support in macvim? I've got a couple of weeks vacation coming up and
            > it'll give me something to do....

            Well, looking quickly at the netbeans code it seems fairly
            straightforward -- do some initialization e.g. open a socket to listen
            to incoming connections and then pass socket messages on to the
            netbeans code as the arrive. You should probably utilize the
            Cocoa/CoreFoundation run loop for incoming connection attempts and
            messages. Anyway, look at how the other platforms handle netbeans to
            get a better idea as to what is required.

            One thing I did notice that will be a little problematic is that
            netbeans seems to want to be notified when the window position changes
            -- maybe this can be skipped initially. There may be other problems
            as well, but all in all I don't think it would take more than a couple
            of days to get this working.

            Let me know if you do start working on this.

          • Andrew Long
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
              On 9 Nov 2008, at 14:11, björn wrote:

              > 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
              ><snip/>
              > Let me know if you do start working on this.

              Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
              it,
              then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a couple
              of days.

              Regards, Andy

              --
              Andrew Long
              andrew dot long at mac dot com

            • Nico Weber
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                Hi,

                On 09.11.2008, at 06:11, björn wrote:

                > Yes, so both netbeans and baloon_eval is needed. I don't think Nico
                > intended to implement netbeans though (or did you Nico?)

                No, I'm just looking at balloon_eval for the moment.

                Andy, regarding combining characters: If you have an english keyboard,
                you can write a lot of characters using the ⌥ key: hit ⌥u followed
                by a, o, or u for ä, ö, ü and ⌥s for ß. You can open System
                Preferences->International->Input Menu and make sure "Keyboard Viewer"
                at the top and "Show input menu in menu bar" are checked, then click
                on the flag in the menu bar in the top left of your screen, and choose
                "Show Keyboard Viewer'. When you now hit ⌥, the keyboard viewer
                displays which characters you can write. ⌥⇧k is  for example.
                This has the advantage over vim's digraphs that it works in all mac
                applications (digraphs on the other hand work on all vims, no matter
                the os :-P).

                Nico
              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
                  >> 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
                  >> <snip/>
                  >> Let me know if you do start working on this.
                  >>

                  > Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
                  > it,
                  > then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a
                  > couple
                  > of days.

                  By the way, `:h netbeans-protocol` gives a good overview. You probably
                  can reuse the protocol parsing and handling code for all those
                  messages, but it' still a good read.

                  Nico

                • Andrew Long
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
                    On 9 Nov 2008, at 17:10, Nico Weber wrote:

                    >>> 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
                    >>> <snip/>
                    >>> Let me know if you do start working on this.
                    >>>

                    >> Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
                    >> it,
                    >> then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a
                    >> couple
                    >> of days.
                    >
                    > By the way, `:h netbeans-protocol` gives a good overview. You probably
                    > can reuse the protocol parsing and handling code for all those
                    > messages, but it' still a good read.

                    Yes, I've had a 'once over lightly' at the protocol commands. It looks
                    to me like, rather than balloon-eval relying on netbeans, it's
                    vice-versa... The NB protocol specifies a couple of ballon functions
                    (some of which the :he says are 'not implemented') but it looks like I
                    may be dependent on you rather than the other way around.

                    I'll keep looking at it for a few more days and will make a decision
                    then.

                    Regards, Andy

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 16, 2008
                      On 9 Nov 2008, at 18:11, björn wrote:

                      > 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:

                      <snip/>

                      > Let me know if you do start working on this.

                      Björn

                      I'm afraid that I'm going to dip out on this one, sorry. I'd like a
                      little more time to familiarise myself with the apple programming
                      environment before I jump into something this serious.

                      Having said that, I think it;ll be fairly straight forward for a
                      programmer already familiar with the OS X programming paradigms. I'll
                      try to become more familiar with the whole thing and maybe jump in
                      later.

                      regards, Andy