Re: Dynamically loading Python library

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2008
      Nico Weber wrote:
      >>> It seems this is the only way to go then. But...I wonder if it
      >>> really
      >>> is worth my time making two distributions just so a few users get to
      >>> use Python 2.5 instead of 2.3. I think I need a better reason than
      >>> that for something as drastic as distributing two different versions
      >>> of the binary. Maybe I underestimate the number of users who would
      >>> benefit from 2.5, but for now I'll just keep building with 2.3. :-/
      >
      > That sounds reasonable.

      +1.

      Real Python-heads can always compile themselves.

      >> What about feature freezing the current 10.4 version and continuing
      >> development for 10.5 only? Then you could enable garbage collection
      >> which would be much more convenient for development -- this issue bugs
      >> me especially because if someone wants to make a plugin, I'm pretty
      >> sure they can't use garbage collection since MacVim doesn't.
      >
      > I don't use Tiger, but I don't think dropping Tiger already is a good
      > idea (see e.g. http://update.omnigroup.com/).

      I agree, but I do use Tiger. 10.4.9. :-)

      Ben.

    • Panos
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2008
        I was pestering Bjorn about making python be dynamically loaded, but I
        went ahead a compiled from source. Easy as pie, plus now I have python
        2.5 support :)

        Thanks for making it that easy, although I still believe that people
        that actually use python are way past 2.3 by now.

        Still it's easier to have them compile it themselves, than to ask them
        to move up a version of their OS, so I see why we're having this
        issue.

        It should be made easier to pick python version depending on the build
        platform, hope we can figure this out.

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
          2008/11/3 Jason Foreman <jason@...>:

          > FWIW, I've been toying with the idea of making my own Leopard-only
          > builds available recently. I always build my MacVim from source using
          > Python 2.5 and 10.5 SDK. I do also use a couple of extra patches in
          > my build (relative number, Lua, working on vimgdb). If there is
          > interest, I could put my builds up somewhere for others to use. My
          > main concern would be increasing the support load due to unofficial
          > builds floating around.

          Jason, feel free to make your own builds available -- I have no
          objections to this.

          (Sorry for taking so long to reply to your post!)