Re: Dynamically loading Python library

  • Matt Tolton
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
      > It seems this is the only way to go then. But...I wonder if it really
      > is worth my time making two distributions just so a few users get to
      > use Python 2.5 instead of 2.3. I think I need a better reason than
      > that for something as drastic as distributing two different versions
      > of the binary. Maybe I underestimate the number of users who would
      > benefit from 2.5, but for now I'll just keep building with 2.3. :-/

      What about feature freezing the current 10.4 version and continuing
      development for 10.5 only? Then you could enable garbage collection
      which would be much more convenient for development -- this issue bugs
      me especially because if someone wants to make a plugin, I'm pretty
      sure they can't use garbage collection since MacVim doesn't.

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
        >> It seems this is the only way to go then. But...I wonder if it
        >> really
        >> is worth my time making two distributions just so a few users get to
        >> use Python 2.5 instead of 2.3. I think I need a better reason than
        >> that for something as drastic as distributing two different versions
        >> of the binary. Maybe I underestimate the number of users who would
        >> benefit from 2.5, but for now I'll just keep building with 2.3. :-/

        That sounds reasonable.

        > What about feature freezing the current 10.4 version and continuing
        > development for 10.5 only? Then you could enable garbage collection
        > which would be much more convenient for development -- this issue bugs
        > me especially because if someone wants to make a plugin, I'm pretty
        > sure they can't use garbage collection since MacVim doesn't.

        I don't use Tiger, but I don't think dropping Tiger already is a good
        idea (see e.g. http://update.omnigroup.com/).

        Nico

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2008
          Nico Weber wrote:
          >>> It seems this is the only way to go then. But...I wonder if it
          >>> really
          >>> is worth my time making two distributions just so a few users get to
          >>> use Python 2.5 instead of 2.3. I think I need a better reason than
          >>> that for something as drastic as distributing two different versions
          >>> of the binary. Maybe I underestimate the number of users who would
          >>> benefit from 2.5, but for now I'll just keep building with 2.3. :-/
          >
          > That sounds reasonable.

          +1.

          Real Python-heads can always compile themselves.

          >> What about feature freezing the current 10.4 version and continuing
          >> development for 10.5 only? Then you could enable garbage collection
          >> which would be much more convenient for development -- this issue bugs
          >> me especially because if someone wants to make a plugin, I'm pretty
          >> sure they can't use garbage collection since MacVim doesn't.
          >
          > I don't use Tiger, but I don't think dropping Tiger already is a good
          > idea (see e.g. http://update.omnigroup.com/).

          I agree, but I do use Tiger. 10.4.9. :-)

          Ben.

        • Panos
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 4, 2008
            I was pestering Bjorn about making python be dynamically loaded, but I
            went ahead a compiled from source. Easy as pie, plus now I have python
            2.5 support :)

            Thanks for making it that easy, although I still believe that people
            that actually use python are way past 2.3 by now.

            Still it's easier to have them compile it themselves, than to ask them
            to move up a version of their OS, so I see why we're having this
            issue.

            It should be made easier to pick python version depending on the build
            platform, hope we can figure this out.

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
              2008/11/3 Jason Foreman <jason@...>:

              > FWIW, I've been toying with the idea of making my own Leopard-only
              > builds available recently. I always build my MacVim from source using
              > Python 2.5 and 10.5 SDK. I do also use a couple of extra patches in
              > my build (relative number, Lua, working on vimgdb). If there is
              > interest, I could put my builds up somewhere for others to use. My
              > main concern would be increasing the support load due to unofficial
              > builds floating around.

              Jason, feel free to make your own builds available -- I have no
              objections to this.

              (Sorry for taking so long to reply to your post!)