Re: cmd-` window cycling in macvim

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2008
      2008/10/27 Fredrik Bränström <branstrom@...>:

      > It just needed to be shift-cmd-` apparently. MacVim seems to have
      > mapped cmd-´ only, and not cmd-`. I reacted to that because the latter
      > works in all other apps, with the Swedish Dvorak (Svorak) layout I'm
      > using.
      >
      > Tried shift-cmd-` (cmd-´) and cmd-` in some apps, here's the results:
      >
      > Svorak A5 layout Swedish Pro
      > layout US layout
      > MacVim cmd-´ cmd-
      > ´ both
      > Firefox both cmd-
      > ´ both
      > Finder both cmd-
      > ´ both (*)
      > Terminal.app both
      > (none) both (*)

      Ok, I looked into this a bit and there doesn't appear to be any way of
      making this work across all platforms (this really should be handled
      by the OS, like with Cmd-Tab). The problem with MacVim is that it
      needs to send Cmd-key presses on to Vim and this is only possible by
      intercepting Cmd-key presses. This interception is what breaks the
      default window switching behavior unfortunately.

      > (*) cmd-` with US layout flashes the Window menu in Terminal.app, I
      > noticed. Both variants flash the menu in Finder.

      This flashing is because Terminal and Finder, for some reason, have a
      menu entry "Cycle Through Windows" (under the Windows menu) with key
      equivalent Cmd-`. In Finder there seems to be a hidden menu entry
      with key equivalent Cmd-Shift-` as well since it flashes when you
      press that key, but in Terminal it doesn't flash _but the windows
      cycle anyway_!

      Obviously Apple knows some secret hack that they're keeping to
      themselves. Hmmm...if you change the key equivalent in the System
      Preferences the Finder Window menu picks up on it so there seems to be
      a way to query the system which key equivalent to use to cycle
      windows...or there is some kind of notification...if I knew how Apple
      did this I could potentially use this to solve the problem in MacVim.

      > Hm. Now I tried
      >
      > map <D-`> :maca _cycleWindows:<CR>
      > map <D-´> :maca _cycleWindowsBackwards:<CR>
      >
      > and it does the job, so I guess all is well...

      I'm afraid that might have to be the solution for non-English
      keyboards unless I somehow stumble across a solution to this problem.
      At least there is _some_ way of getting it to work, which is better
      than nothing.