Re: VIM not launching: libperl.dylib path problem

  • Emily Jackson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24 4:12 AM
      At 8:59 AM +0100 on 4/24/03, Ben Fowler wrote:

      >At 5:06 am -0500 2003-04-14, Emily Jackson wrote:
      >>At 8:31 PM -0700 on 4/13/03, Richard Hood wrote:
      >>

      >>>VIM is not working for me, either in GUI version or in the terminal. I
      >>>think I may know why.
      >>>
      >>>When I launch VIM, the console reports:
      >>>
      >>>dyld: /Users/dad/.Trash/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim can't open
      >>>library: /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib (No such file
      >>>or directory, errno = 2)
      >>>
      >>>I recently upgraded to PERl 5.8.0 and the libperl.dylib is located in:
      >>> /Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib
      >>
      >>The binary from macvim.swdev.org won't run if you have perl 5.8 installed;
      >>you have to build it yourself (instructions at macvim.swdev.org).
      >
      >Is it possible to run applications at all once they are in the Trash?

      Unfortunately, yes. (Upgrading an application and forgetting to empty the
      Trash before opening a document "owned" by that app results in the old
      version being launched. :-\)

      Emily
    • Ben Fowler
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24 5:16 AM
        At 6:12 am -0500 2003-04-24, Emily Jackson wrote:
        >At 8:59 AM +0100 on 4/24/03, Ben Fowler wrote:

        >Unfortunately, yes. (Upgrading an application and forgetting to empty the
        >Trash before opening a document "owned" by that app results in the old
        >version being launched. :-\)

        When I have done something like that, the system hasn't let me;
        now maybe I haven't tried hard enough, but my suggestion is
        that the error message might be bogus.

        Is Vim working for you now? If so, do you think that you understand
        what is going on.

        Ben.

        Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
      • david craig
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26 12:28 AM
          > Is it possible to run applications at all once they are in the Trash?

          Yes. It may not be possible to double-click them, but sometimes the
          system itself will mistakenly launch something in the Trash (e.g. by
          clicking a dock icon. This happened to me recently with the release of
          the latest Safari beta.)

          David Craig

          <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>