Re: [Fwd: Mac OS 9 as a drop target]

  • Ben Fowler
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23 8:32 AM
      At 10:58 am -0400 2003-04-23, Benji Fisher wrote:
      > Can anyone answer this question about the Classic version?
      >
      > --Benji Fisher
      >
      >[ ... ]
      >I was surprised to find that the ppc Vim 6.1 doesn't seem to act as a
      >drop target under Mac OS 9. Is there some magic I've missed in setting
      >VIM up?

      I am not up to speed on Classic Vim. It is something that I have been meaning
      to do as a New Year resolution this year, but haven't quite got round to.

      As with so many things, I am more likely to finish my migration to
      Mac OS X.

      I have a Vim version 5.7 compiled by me in October 2000, and it acts as
      a 'drop target' for files with the VIM! creator such as 'vim.vim' that
      comes witht he distribution, but not text files in general.

      I would assume until you learn better that this is not going
      be a simple matter to get to work.

      (You may get better, and certainly more recent advice from someone on
      the Mac mailing list <URL: http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php >
      who deals with the Classic Mac on a more regular basis).

      If this is a problem with the desktop database, a simple restart should
      fix it.

      Otherwise, you may need to open your binary's resource fork with
      an editor such as Resourcer, <URL: http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php >
      and check the resources of of type BNDL, FREF, open, pref et cetera.

      Ben

      Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
    • Robin Becker
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23 9:12 AM
        In message <f0433010dbacc5db46e81@[192.168.254.56]>, Ben Fowler
        <bfowler@...> writes
        >At 10:58 am -0400 2003-04-23, Benji Fisher wrote:

        Thanks for the pointers. I am a complete newbie to the Mac and OS 9
        looks like a really primitive architecture to me. I really miss a
        command line. We have dual boot on this machine so perhaps I should be
        using OS 10 with a compatibility box.

        --
        Robin Becker
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23 10:06 AM
          Robin Becker wrote:

          > Thanks for the pointers. I am a complete newbie to the Mac and OS 9
          > looks like a really primitive architecture to me. I really miss a
          > command line. We have dual boot on this machine so perhaps I should be
          > using OS 10 with a compatibility box.

          If you like having a command line, then OS X is a good idea. I also think
          that Apple plans to phase out support of OS 9 in the not-too-distant future.
          You can get my build ov vim for OS X at

          http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Ben Fowler
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23 10:23 AM
            At 5:12 pm +0100 2003-04-23, Robin Becker wrote:
            >In message <f0433010dbacc5db46e81@[192.168.254.56]>, Ben Fowler
            ><bfowler@...> writes
            >>At 10:58 am -0400 2003-04-23, Benji Fisher wrote:
            >
            >Thanks for the pointers. I am a complete newbie to the Mac and OS 9
            >looks like a really primitive architecture to me.

            Some of us have been using it for well over ten years.

            >I really miss a command line. We have dual boot on this machine so perhaps I should be
            >using OS 10 with a compatibility box.

            Get MPW from the Apple site.

            > >> Can anyone answer this question about the Classic version?
            >>>
            >>> --Benji Fisher
            >>>
            >>>[ ... ]
            >>>I was surprised to find that the ppc Vim 6.1 doesn't seem to act as a
            >>>drop target under Mac OS 9. Is there some magic I've missed in setting
            >>>VIM up?
            >>
            >>I am not up to speed on Classic Vim. It is something that I have been meaning
            >>to do as a New Year resolution this year, but haven't quite got round to.
            >>
            >>As with so many things, I am more likely to finish my migration to
            >>Mac OS X.
            >>
            >>I have a Vim version 5.7 compiled by me in October 2000, and it acts as
            >>a 'drop target' for files with the VIM! creator such as 'vim.vim' that
            >>comes witht he distribution, but not text files in general.
            >>
            >>I would assume until you learn better that this is not going
            >>be a simple matter to get to work.
            >>
            >>(You may get better, and certainly more recent advice from someone on
            >>the Mac mailing list <URL: http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php >
            >>who deals with the Classic Mac on a more regular basis).
            >>
            >>If this is a problem with the desktop database, a simple restart should
            >>fix it.
            >>
            >>Otherwise, you may need to open your binary's resource fork with
            >>an editor such as Resourcer, <URL: http://vim.sourceforge.net/maillist.php >
            >>and check the resources of of type BNDL, FREF, open, pref et cetera.
            >>
            >>Ben
            >
            >--
            >Robin Becker

            Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
          • Axel Kielhorn
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24 9:38 AM
              At 10:58 Uhr -0400 2003-04-23, Benji Fisher wrote:
              > Can anyone answer this question about the Classic version?
              >
              > --Benji Fisher

              Where did you get the Vim 6.1 binary? How did you compile it?

              My version is a drop target. I can drop everything on it.

              In the SIZE rsrc you have to enable "High level event aware"
              In the DNDL rsrc you need a resource with the signature VIM! and the
              following entries:
              APPL
              TEXT
              ****

              The third is responsable for accepting drops of anything.

              Axel
            • Robin Becker
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 26 1:47 AM
                In message <a05111b00bacdc24939f6@[217.3.24.150]>, Axel Kielhorn
                <A.Kielhorn@...> writes
                >At 10:58 Uhr -0400 2003-04-23, Benji Fisher wrote:
                >> Can anyone answer this question about the Classic version?
                >>
                >> --Benji Fisher

                Hi I got the binary at
                http://macvim.swdev.org/MacClassic/files/Vim6.1.263bin.sea
                which was recommended by vim.sf.net

                I am a complete Mac newbie and don't yet understand even the most basic
                concepts. I tried to follow the file system layout that was suggested
                and clicking on the desktop alias brings up vim.

                I can't drop my .py/.c files on the alias and have it edit them. I guess
                that this is probably some registration type problem, but don't know how
                to do anything about it.

                --
                Robin Becker
              • Ben Fowler
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 26 2:31 AM
                  At 9:47 am +0100 2003-04-26, Robin Becker wrote:
                  >In message <a05111b00bacdc24939f6@[217.3.24.150]>, Axel Kielhorn
                  ><A.Kielhorn@...> writes
                  >>At 10:58 Uhr -0400 2003-04-23, Benji Fisher wrote:
                  >>> Can anyone answer this question about the Classic version?
                  >>>
                  >>> --Benji Fisher
                  >>>
                  >Hi I got the binary at
                  > http://macvim.swdev.org/MacClassic/files/Vim6.1.263bin.sea
                  >which was recommended by vim.sf.net
                  >
                  >I am a complete Mac newbie and don't yet understand even the most basic
                  >concepts. I tried to follow the file system layout that was suggested
                  >and clicking on the desktop alias brings up vim.
                  >
                  >I can't drop my .py/.c files on the alias and have it edit them. I guess
                  >that this is probably some registration type problem, but don't know how
                  >to do anything about it.

                  ... BNDL ...

                  > >following entries:
                  >>APPL
                  >>TEXT
                  >>****
                  >>
                  > >The third is responsible for accepting drops of anything.

                  But these resources should be set like that out of the box.

                  (and it is the FREF resource ...)

                  I downloaded the archive quoted and found that it worked,
                  and that the act of unstuffing it made my earlier version
                  work.

                  I suspect that my Desktop Database was previously faulty.

                  Normally, restarting the Mac is sufficient for to fix up
                  BNDL problems, but you might want to rebuild the Desktop
                  on the disk containing Vim, using standard methods such as
                  TechTool. e.g. <URL: http://www.micromat.com/tt_lite/tt_lite.html >
                  and 1299 other pages from Google.

                  BTW, the string in the Owner resource (VIM!) is somewhat
                  aged.