VIM not launching: libperl.dylib path problem

  • Richard Hood
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2003
      VIM is not working for me, either in GUI version or in the terminal. I
      think I may know why.

      When I launch VIM, the console reports:

      dyld: /Users/dad/.Trash/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim can't open
      library: /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib (No such file
      or directory, errno = 2)

      I recently upgraded to PERl 5.8.0 and the libperl.dylib is located in:
      /Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib

      I attempted to fix this with a symbolic link from /Library/Perl to
      /System/Library/, but received this error:

      dyld: /Users/dad/Desktop/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim Undefined
      symbols:
      /Users/dad/Desktop/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim undefined reference
      to _perl_call_sv expected to be defined in
      /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib
      /Users/dad/Desktop/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim undefined reference
      to _perl_get_cv expected to be defined in
      /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib
      Apr 13 19:56:38 Richards-Computer crashdump: Crash report written to:
      /Users/dad/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Vim.crash.log

      dyld: /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim Undefined symbols:
      /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim undefined reference to
      _perl_call_sv expected to be defined in
      /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib
      /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim undefined reference to
      _perl_get_cv expected to be defined in
      /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib

      Is there a VIM file which I can edit to set the path for libperl.dylib?

      Thank you,

      Richard Hood
    • Emily Jackson
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2003
        At 8:31 PM -0700 on 4/13/03, Richard Hood wrote:

        >VIM is not working for me, either in GUI version or in the terminal. I
        >think I may know why.
        >
        >When I launch VIM, the console reports:
        >
        >dyld: /Users/dad/.Trash/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim can't open
        >library: /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib (No such file
        >or directory, errno = 2)
        >
        >I recently upgraded to PERl 5.8.0 and the libperl.dylib is located in:
        > /Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib

        The binary from macvim.swdev.org won't run if you have perl 5.8 installed;
        you have to build it yourself (instructions at macvim.swdev.org).

        Emily
      • Ben Fowler
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24, 2003
          At 5:06 am -0500 2003-04-14, Emily Jackson wrote:
          >At 8:31 PM -0700 on 4/13/03, Richard Hood wrote:
          >

          >>VIM is not working for me, either in GUI version or in the terminal. I
          >>think I may know why.
          >>
          >>When I launch VIM, the console reports:
          >>
          >>dyld: /Users/dad/.Trash/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim can't open
          >>library: /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib (No such file
          >>or directory, errno = 2)
          >>
          >>I recently upgraded to PERl 5.8.0 and the libperl.dylib is located in:
          >> /Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib
          >
          >The binary from macvim.swdev.org won't run if you have perl 5.8 installed;
          >you have to build it yourself (instructions at macvim.swdev.org).

          Is it possible to run applications at all once they are in the Trash?

          Ben

          Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
        • Emily Jackson
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2003
            At 8:59 AM +0100 on 4/24/03, Ben Fowler wrote:

            >At 5:06 am -0500 2003-04-14, Emily Jackson wrote:
            >>At 8:31 PM -0700 on 4/13/03, Richard Hood wrote:
            >>

            >>>VIM is not working for me, either in GUI version or in the terminal. I
            >>>think I may know why.
            >>>
            >>>When I launch VIM, the console reports:
            >>>
            >>>dyld: /Users/dad/.Trash/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim can't open
            >>>library: /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib (No such file
            >>>or directory, errno = 2)
            >>>
            >>>I recently upgraded to PERl 5.8.0 and the libperl.dylib is located in:
            >>> /Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib
            >>
            >>The binary from macvim.swdev.org won't run if you have perl 5.8 installed;
            >>you have to build it yourself (instructions at macvim.swdev.org).
            >
            >Is it possible to run applications at all once they are in the Trash?

            Unfortunately, yes. (Upgrading an application and forgetting to empty the
            Trash before opening a document "owned" by that app results in the old
            version being launched. :-\)

            Emily
          • Ben Fowler
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 24, 2003
              At 6:12 am -0500 2003-04-24, Emily Jackson wrote:
              >At 8:59 AM +0100 on 4/24/03, Ben Fowler wrote:

              >Unfortunately, yes. (Upgrading an application and forgetting to empty the
              >Trash before opening a document "owned" by that app results in the old
              >version being launched. :-\)

              When I have done something like that, the system hasn't let me;
              now maybe I haven't tried hard enough, but my suggestion is
              that the error message might be bogus.

              Is Vim working for you now? If so, do you think that you understand
              what is going on.

              Ben.

              Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
            • david craig
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 26, 2003
                > Is it possible to run applications at all once they are in the Trash?

                Yes. It may not be possible to double-click them, but sometimes the
                system itself will mistakenly launch something in the Trash (e.g. by
                clicking a dock icon. This happened to me recently with the release of
                the latest Safari beta.)

                David Craig

                <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>