removing control characters

  • Robert Link
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2000
        Robert Link wrote:

        > I want to take an old MSWord file, open it in vimppc, and zap all
        > control characters, leaving me alpha-num-punctuation; here's what I
        > thought should work:
        >
        > :%s/[[:cntrl:]]//g
        >
        > This nets me a warning, "Pattern not found: [[:cntrl:]]"
        >
        > All help appreciated, backchannel is just fine. Thanks!!
        > - --
        > Robert Link

        I find the same problem, even after adding <C-X> and <C-C> to my
        file. Maybe you and I do not understand what is meant by control
        characters, or maybe it is a bug. I get the same behavior under linux.

        Why not try

        :s/[^[:punct:][:alnum:][:space:]]//g

        or

        :s/[^[:print:]]//g

        Maybe the first: I do not know whether control characters count as
        "printable," but <Tab> does not. BTW, <Tab> is really <C-I>; you might
        want to keep those.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2000
          Robert Link wrote:

          > I want to take an old MSWord file, open it in vimppc, and zap all
          > control characters, leaving me alpha-num-punctuation; here's what I
          > thought should work:
          >
          > :%s/[[:cntrl:]]//g
          >
          > This nets me a warning, "Pattern not found: [[:cntrl:]]"

          This is a bug. The NUL character is accidentally included in the range, and
          it truncates the regexp. I'll make a patch for it against 5.7.

          116. You are living with your boyfriend who networks your respective
          computers so you can sit in separate rooms and email each other