yet another new binary for OSX

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
      Sorry, I goofed. Details below for the curious. Short version:
      in the version just uploaded (6.1.435) I no longer try to set the
      'fileformats' option from the system vimrc file. If you need to edit
      old-style Mac files, add

      :set ffs+=mac

      to your personal vimrc file.

      The new version contains a few more official patches. I did not
      include the patch to avoid the "Hit ENTER" prompt, since I want to test
      whether this is related to some other problems.

      I uploaded new versions of Make_osx.mak (to set the creator code
      to "VIM!") and mbyte.diff (to be compatible with recent official
      patches). As usual, the place for all this is

      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX

      --Benji Fisher

      Details:

      When the system vimrc is read, vim is in 'compatible' mode, and
      'fileformats' is set to its vi default (empty). After

      :set ffs+=mac

      it is set to "mac". If 'nocompatible' is later set (e.g., because Vim
      finds a user vimrc file) then, since this option has already been
      modified, it never gets set to its vim default of "unix,dos". I
      should'a known better!
    • Florent Pillet
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
        > it is set to "mac". If 'nocompatible' is later set (e.g., because Vim
        > finds a user vimrc file) then, since this option has already been
        > modified, it never gets set to its vim default of "unix,dos". I
        > should'a known better!

        Would there be a way for VIM to check the file on open and adjust the
        file format on the fly? It is a pain when you are working with files in
        various formats...

        Florent

        --
        Florent Pillet, Code Segment florent.pillet@...
        Developer tools and end-user products ICQ: 117292463
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
          Florent Pillet wrote:
          >> it is set to "mac". If 'nocompatible' is later set (e.g., because Vim
          >> finds a user vimrc file) then, since this option has already been
          >> modified, it never gets set to its vim default of "unix,dos". I
          >> should'a known better!
          >

          > Would there be a way for VIM to check the file on open and adjust the
          > file format on the fly? It is a pain when you are working with files in
          > various formats...

          Yes, this is what happens if you add the line

          :set ffs=unix,dos,mac

          (or some other permutation) to your vimrc file. I tried doing this in the
          system vimrc file, and am still not sure why it did not work....

          :help 'ffs'

          HTH --Benji Fisher