Some patches to try out

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008

      I've pushed a few patches just now, namely:

      1. Don't drop keyboard input
      2. Jonathon's tabline patches (thanks again Jonathon!)
      3. Modifier key as Esc

      You can select which modifier to treat as Esc in the General
      preferences (also, go into System Preferences to remap Caps Lock to
      the chosen modifier so you may use Caps Lock as Esc). More info in
      ":h macvim-esc".

      After two days I am already hooked on using Caps Lock as Esc myself...

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008

        On 02.10.2008, at 13:57, björn wrote:

        > 3. Modifier key as Esc
        >
        > You can select which modifier to treat as Esc in the General
        > preferences (also, go into System Preferences to remap Caps Lock to
        > the chosen modifier so you may use Caps Lock as Esc). More info in
        > ":h macvim-esc".

        I'm not sure I'm very happy with this change. This changes vim for
        reasons other than OS X integration, and the change is for something
        that was not widely requested (as was the change to `set backspace=2`,
        for example).

        Mapping Caps Lock to Control is possible on all platforms, and Ctrl-]
        is not that much more work than Ctrl (and it works on all vims).

        Nico
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
          2008/10/3 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

          > On 02.10.2008, at 13:57, björn wrote:
          >
          >> 3. Modifier key as Esc
          >>
          >> You can select which modifier to treat as Esc in the General
          >> preferences (also, go into System Preferences to remap Caps Lock to
          >> the chosen modifier so you may use Caps Lock as Esc). More info in
          >> ":h macvim-esc".
          >
          > I'm not sure I'm very happy with this change. This changes vim for
          > reasons other than OS X integration, and the change is for something
          > that was not widely requested (as was the change to `set backspace=2`,
          > for example).
          >
          > Mapping Caps Lock to Control is possible on all platforms, and Ctrl-]
          > is not that much more work than Ctrl (and it works on all vims).

          The point, as I see it, is that on Mac OS X there does not seem to be
          a way to remap Caps Lock to Esc as it is e.g. with xmodmap on Linux et
          al. I don't see any other way of giving users this possibility
          without changing the source code, so I do consider this part of OS X
          integration. The patch itself is trivial and changes no current
          behaviour unless the functionality is explicitly enabled.

          I've had discussions with people who are considering the switch to Vim
          from Emacs, but the biggest gripe is that they find it difficult to
          always reach for Esc (as far as I'm concerned, Ctrl-] is even harder
          to reach). Indeed, I myself had these very thoughts when I was
          deciding which editor to use.

          The user interface changes could be discussed; perhaps I went
          overboard by adding this to the prefs, but I wanted to give easy
          access to new users because of what I said above. If more people than
          Nico dislike the new prefs I could:
          a) Move the pref to another pane (Advanced?)
          b) Remove it from the prefs altogether
          I've attached a screenshot of the new prefs for those who doesn't want
          to bother with building from sources.

        • Matt Tolton
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
            I think it's fine as-is.

            On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            > 2008/10/3 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:
            >>
            >> On 02.10.2008, at 13:57, björn wrote:
            >>
            >>> 3. Modifier key as Esc
            >>>
            >>> You can select which modifier to treat as Esc in the General
            >>> preferences (also, go into System Preferences to remap Caps Lock to
            >>> the chosen modifier so you may use Caps Lock as Esc). More info in
            >>> ":h macvim-esc".
            >>
            >> I'm not sure I'm very happy with this change. This changes vim for
            >> reasons other than OS X integration, and the change is for something
            >> that was not widely requested (as was the change to `set backspace=2`,
            >> for example).
            >>
            >> Mapping Caps Lock to Control is possible on all platforms, and Ctrl-]
            >> is not that much more work than Ctrl (and it works on all vims).
            >
            > The point, as I see it, is that on Mac OS X there does not seem to be
            > a way to remap Caps Lock to Esc as it is e.g. with xmodmap on Linux et
            > al. I don't see any other way of giving users this possibility
            > without changing the source code, so I do consider this part of OS X
            > integration. The patch itself is trivial and changes no current
            > behaviour unless the functionality is explicitly enabled.
            >
            > I've had discussions with people who are considering the switch to Vim
            > from Emacs, but the biggest gripe is that they find it difficult to
            > always reach for Esc (as far as I'm concerned, Ctrl-] is even harder
            > to reach). Indeed, I myself had these very thoughts when I was
            > deciding which editor to use.
            >
            > The user interface changes could be discussed; perhaps I went
            > overboard by adding this to the prefs, but I wanted to give easy
            > access to new users because of what I said above. If more people than
            > Nico dislike the new prefs I could:
            > a) Move the pref to another pane (Advanced?)
            > b) Remove it from the prefs altogether
            > I've attached a screenshot of the new prefs for those who doesn't want
            > to bother with building from sources.
            >
            > Björn

          • Ted Pavlic
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2008
              > I'm not sure I'm very happy with this change. This changes vim for
              > reasons other than OS X integration, and the change is for something
              > that was not widely requested (as was the change to `set backspace=2`,
              > for example).
              >
              > Mapping Caps Lock to Control is possible on all platforms, and Ctrl-]
              > is not that much more work than Ctrl (and it works on all vims).

              I agree with Nico.

              For those who are not familiar, you can easily remap CapsLock to Escape
              on OS X using the free "KeyRemap4MacBook" and "PCKeyboardHack" utilities.

              http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/macosx/keyremap4macbook/
              http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/macosx/keyremap4macbook/extra.html

              I use these utilities to remap my caps lock to control, but they also
              support remapping to escape (and I just tried it and it works as desired
              in MacVim).

              --Ted

              --
              Ted Pavlic <ted@...>