space and shift space

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
      In my vimrc I mapped space to pagedown, like a web browser, because
      this is a Mac laptop without dedicated pageup/pagedown keys.

      I would also like shift+space to do a pageup but have been unable
      to get the nmap to work. Any idea how to do it?

      As a workaround I mapped tab to pageup, and that is not bad.

      " space as pagedown like web browser
      :nmap <space> <pagedown>
      :nmap <tab> <pageup>

      --
      Bill
      Santa Cruz, California

    • Bee
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
        On Oct 3, 2008, Björn wrote:
        > 2008/10/2 Bee:
        >> In my vimrc I mapped space to pagedown, like a web browser, because
        >> this is a Mac laptop without dedicated pageup/pagedown keys.
        >>
        >> I would also like shift+space to do a pageup but have been unable
        >> to get the nmap to work. Any idea how to do it?
        >>
        >> As a workaround I mapped tab to pageup, and that is not bad.
        >>
        >> " space as pagedown like web browser
        >> :nmap <space> <pagedown>
        >> :nmap <tab> <pageup>
        >
        > :nmap <S-Space> <pageup>
        >
        > works for me.

        Thank you, yes it works in MacVim (I thought I tried that!!??)
        Now how to also get to work at the command line vim 7.2.21

        --
        Bill
        Santa Cruz

      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
          > :nmap <S-Space> <pageup>

          For some reason, I like:

          :nmap <S-Space> <pageup>H

          The fact that the cursor gets repositioned on page down but not on page
          up sometimes bugs me...

          Just a thought.

          --Ted

          --
          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

        • Ted Pavlic
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
            > Thank you, yes it works in MacVim (I thought I tried that!!??)
            > Now how to also get to work at the command line vim 7.2.21

            Related threads:

            http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/ac11e526faf74b0f

            http://www.nabble.com/write-%27set-t_Co%3D256%27,-scroll-and-keybind-problems-td14775529.html

            You may have to get your Terminal/iTerm to send something special on
            shift+space and have vim capture that.

            In other words, I'm doubtful that there's a vim-specific way to solve
            the problem because the terminal encodes shift+space and space as the
            same code. So you will probably need help from the Terminal actually
            doing all of the keyboard I/O.

            --Ted

            --
            Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

          • Andy Todd
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 17, 2008
              Bee wrote:

              > In my vimrc I mapped space to pagedown, like a web browser, because
              > this is a Mac laptop without dedicated pageup/pagedown keys.
              >
              > I would also like shift+space to do a pageup but have been unable
              > to get the nmap to work. Any idea how to do it?
              >
              > As a workaround I mapped tab to pageup, and that is not bad.
              >
              > " space as pagedown like web browser
              > :nmap <space> <pagedown>
              > :nmap <tab> <pageup>

              Bill,

              Vim is designed to be usable with just a basic keyboard. Try using
              CTRL-F (for page down) and CTRL-B (for page up) for navigating in Vim.
              These are the standard keys and will save you having to customise your
              set up.

              Of course, that doesn't mean you can't map Space if you want to, just
              that you don't *have* to.

              Regards,
              Andy
              --