space and shift space

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
      In my vimrc I mapped space to pagedown, like a web browser, because
      this is a Mac laptop without dedicated pageup/pagedown keys.

      I would also like shift+space to do a pageup but have been unable
      to get the nmap to work. Any idea how to do it?

      As a workaround I mapped tab to pageup, and that is not bad.

      " space as pagedown like web browser
      :nmap <space> <pagedown>
      :nmap <tab> <pageup>

      --
      Bill
      Santa Cruz, California

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
        Hi Bee,

        2008/10/2 Bee <200309@...>:

        > In my vimrc I mapped space to pagedown, like a web browser, because
        > this is a Mac laptop without dedicated pageup/pagedown keys.
        >
        > I would also like shift+space to do a pageup but have been unable
        > to get the nmap to work. Any idea how to do it?
        >
        > As a workaround I mapped tab to pageup, and that is not bad.
        >
        > " space as pagedown like web browser
        > :nmap <space> <pagedown>
        > :nmap <tab> <pageup>

        :nmap <S-Space> <pageup>

        works for me.

      • Bee
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
          On Oct 3, 2008, Björn wrote:
          > 2008/10/2 Bee:
          >> In my vimrc I mapped space to pagedown, like a web browser, because
          >> this is a Mac laptop without dedicated pageup/pagedown keys.
          >>
          >> I would also like shift+space to do a pageup but have been unable
          >> to get the nmap to work. Any idea how to do it?
          >>
          >> As a workaround I mapped tab to pageup, and that is not bad.
          >>
          >> " space as pagedown like web browser
          >> :nmap <space> <pagedown>
          >> :nmap <tab> <pageup>
          >
          > :nmap <S-Space> <pageup>
          >
          > works for me.

          Thank you, yes it works in MacVim (I thought I tried that!!??)
          Now how to also get to work at the command line vim 7.2.21

          --
          Bill
          Santa Cruz

        • Ted Pavlic
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
            > :nmap <S-Space> <pageup>

            For some reason, I like:

            :nmap <S-Space> <pageup>H

            The fact that the cursor gets repositioned on page down but not on page
            up sometimes bugs me...

            Just a thought.

            --Ted

            --
            Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

          • Ted Pavlic
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
              > Thank you, yes it works in MacVim (I thought I tried that!!??)
              > Now how to also get to work at the command line vim 7.2.21

              Related threads:

              http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/ac11e526faf74b0f

              http://www.nabble.com/write-%27set-t_Co%3D256%27,-scroll-and-keybind-problems-td14775529.html

              You may have to get your Terminal/iTerm to send something special on
              shift+space and have vim capture that.

              In other words, I'm doubtful that there's a vim-specific way to solve
              the problem because the terminal encodes shift+space and space as the
              same code. So you will probably need help from the Terminal actually
              doing all of the keyboard I/O.

              --Ted

              --
              Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

            • Andy Todd
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 17, 2008
                Bee wrote:

                > In my vimrc I mapped space to pagedown, like a web browser, because
                > this is a Mac laptop without dedicated pageup/pagedown keys.
                >
                > I would also like shift+space to do a pageup but have been unable
                > to get the nmap to work. Any idea how to do it?
                >
                > As a workaround I mapped tab to pageup, and that is not bad.
                >
                > " space as pagedown like web browser
                > :nmap <space> <pagedown>
                > :nmap <tab> <pageup>

                Bill,

                Vim is designed to be usable with just a basic keyboard. Try using
                CTRL-F (for page down) and CTRL-B (for page up) for navigating in Vim.
                These are the standard keys and will save you having to customise your
                set up.

                Of course, that doesn't mean you can't map Space if you want to, just
                that you don't *have* to.

                Regards,
                Andy
                --