Re: Does MacVim drop characters?

  • Frank Hellenkamp
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008

      >>> I don't see the problem. If a key is pressed while another is
      >>> repeating, the repeating key will stop repeating. Did I miss
      >>> something?
      >> I haven't looked at your patch yet, but the situation I was thinking
      >> about is when a key is repeated (so there are keypresses in the queue
      >> that haven't been drawn yet), and a different key is pressed. The
      >> first key is no longer repeating, but its past repeats could still be
      >> queued. Think holding down 'j', so a lot of scroll events are queued,
      >> then hitting 'o'. When the 'o' event comes in, should the queued-but-
      >> not-drawn scroll commands be discarded?
      >
      > The way it works now is:
      >
      > 1. input arrives
      > 2. is it a repeat?
      > 2a. yes - queue it unless there already is input on the queue (in
      > which case it is silently dropped)
      > 2b. no - just add it to the queue

      Does "repeat" mean keys, that are coming from auto-repeat, or also keys
      like when I press two or three times "m"?

      When it is the second one, it should probably drop from the third key
      on, not from the second. (Like in "will", "miss", "kommen", "pressed" etc.)

      best regards,

      Frank

      --
      frank hellenkamp | interface designer
      jonas.info@... | mail
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
        2008/10/2 Frank Hellenkamp <jonas.info@...>:

        >> The way it works now is:
        >>
        >> 1. input arrives
        >> 2. is it a repeat?
        >> 2a. yes - queue it unless there already is input on the queue (in
        >> which case it is silently dropped)
        >> 2b. no - just add it to the queue
        >
        > Does "repeat" mean keys, that are coming from auto-repeat, or also keys
        > like when I press two or three times "m"?
        >
        > When it is the second one, it should probably drop from the third key
        > on, not from the second. (Like in "will", "miss", "kommen", "pressed" etc.)

        By "repeat" I mean "auto-repeat", as in "hold down a key and the OS
        will repeat it for you". If you hit "m" 20 times in a row, then they
        are all processed. If you hold down "m" for 20 seconds, nobody knows
        how many "m" will be processed.

        I think it would be unreasonable to check the input and drop a key if
        it is appears three times or more in a row.