Shrinking font doesn't resize in full-screen

  • Ted Pavlic
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
      I noticed today that if I'm in full-screen mode, if I hit Cmd-- to
      shrink the font, the entire Vim window shrinks rather than spreading to
      fill the entire screen. If I exit full screen and come back, the Vim
      window stretches across the entire screen again.

      If I use Cmd-= to increase the font size in full screen mode, Vim seems
      to do everything correctly. As a consequence, the full-screen command
      sequence:

      Cmd-=
      Cmd-=
      Cmd--
      Cmd--

      does *NOT* return the full screen view to the way it was when you started.

      Bug?
      --Ted

      --
      Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        2008/10/2 Ted Pavlic <ted@...>:

        > I noticed today that if I'm in full-screen mode, if I hit Cmd-- to
        > shrink the font, the entire Vim window shrinks rather than spreading to
        > fill the entire screen. If I exit full screen and come back, the Vim
        > window stretches across the entire screen again.
        >
        > If I use Cmd-= to increase the font size in full screen mode, Vim seems
        > to do everything correctly. As a consequence, the full-screen command
        > sequence:
        >
        > Cmd-=
        > Cmd-=
        > Cmd--
        > Cmd--
        >
        > does *NOT* return the full screen view to the way it was when you started.
        >
        > Bug?

        I don't know. Currently MacVim does nothing to keep the window
        (pixel) size constant when the font size. Full-screen only maximizes
        when entering (by design), as you've noticed above. This problem
        manifests itself when you hide the tabline or scrollbars as well.

        I've also had a request that when you zoom the window (click green
        blob) then the window should stay zoomed when tabline/scrollbars
        hide/show. This is related to the problem above.

        Let me put this on my todo but I think it will require quite a bit of
        work so don't hold your breath waiting for it to be fixed. :/

      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
          > Let me put this on my todo but I think it will require quite a bit of
          > work so don't hold your breath waiting for it to be fixed. :/

          Sounds good. It's not mission critical, but I figured it was so obscure
          that it wasn't already mentioned somewhere.

          It's really a nice program. If it weren't from MacVim (and Skim too, I
          think), I'd probably be considering non-Mac options for my next machine.
          Now that Qt is going native on OS X, maybe someday MacVim can be ported
          there and be shared among all OS's. :) (yes, I realize I shouldn't hold
          my breath for that either)

          Thanks. :) --
          Ted

          --
          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008

            >> Let me put this on my todo but I think it will require quite a bit of
            >> work so don't hold your breath waiting for it to be fixed. :/
            >
            > Sounds good. It's not mission critical, but I figured it was so
            > obscure
            > that it wasn't already mentioned somewhere.

            It actually is mentioned in `:h fuopt`:

            XXX: Each time the Vim window resizes (for example due to font size
            changes), re-maximize Vim to fullscreen?

            I might do this one day, but as Bjorn said, it's a bit of work.

            > Now that Qt is going native on OS X

            Off-topic: Platform-independent GUI toolkits usually don't look good
            on most platforms. They may appear native on first sight, but lots of
            keyboard shortcuts that should work, etc. That's why projects that
            care about UI have a native UI on each platform (e.g. Transmission).

            Nico