Re: Does MacVim drop characters?

  • Ted Pavlic
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008
      Additionally, I notice that the problem...

      *) is worse in insert mode when my new text is "pushing" characters to
      the right of it. That is, it's not as bad when there's empty line in
      front of the cursor.

      *) also occurs in search mode. That is, typing "/Of course" in command
      mode turns into "/Ofcse".

      Again, this is a problem I only notice with Snapshot 35. I'm thinking of
      going back to the last release I had to see if that gets rid of the
      problem. I'm pretty sure it will.

      --Ted

      --
      Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

    • Ted Pavlic
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008
        Going back to MacVim-7.2-stable-1.2 fixes the problem. "/Of course"
        becomes "/Of course".

        --Ted

        --
        Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008
          2008/10/1 Ted Pavlic <ted@...>:

          >>> when I'm editing a large markdown file, MacVim gets really sluggish at
          >>> times (that's the fault of my markdown syntax file, ordinary vim also
          >>> gets really sluggish). Sometimes, I type faster than the screen
          >>> updates for a few seconds and the characters on screen only catch up
          >>> after I make a typing pause.
          >>>
          >>> With MacVim Snapshot 35, I have the impression that severals of the
          >>> keys I type during the time MacVim catches up with the input simply
          >>> get dropped. For example, if I type in
          >>>
          >>> "Let's see if MacVim drops characters if I type fast."
          >>>
          >>> I actually get
          >>>
          >>> "Let's see if MacVim drops characters if I typ fst."
          >>>
          >>> Did my typing skills get worse, or does MacVim drop keystrokes since
          >>> snapshot 35?
          > Additionally, I notice that the problem...
          >
          > *) is worse in insert mode when my new text is "pushing" characters to
          > the right of it. That is, it's not as bad when there's empty line in
          > front of the cursor.
          >
          > *) also occurs in search mode. That is, typing "/Of course" in command
          > mode turns into "/Ofcse".
          >
          > Again, this is a problem I only notice with Snapshot 35. I'm thinking of
          > going back to the last release I had to see if that gets rid of the
          > problem. I'm pretty sure it will.

          Ouch, that is pretty bad. I guess your computer is a lot slower than mine.

          So the problem is this: Previously the backend would process one
          event at a time and the DO system kept a queue. Unless a _lot_ of
          input was generated rapidly this meant no input would be dropped.
          However, if too much arrived at once MacVim would beach ball -- this
          has been a problem in many instances in the past.

          Now, this changed with snap 35 so that all events are popped off the
          DO queue at once and kept in a queue in the backend. This cures the
          beach ball problem, but one problem still remained: holding "j" to
          scroll and then letting go would not cause the scrolling to stop
          immediately -- instead it would keep scrolling for a while as all the
          input was processed. Also, when scrolling "slow" files (e.g.
          Ruby+cursorline+Relative Number plugin) several "j" events would be
          processed before the screen updating, resulting in the scrolling
          "jumping" in a visually unpleasant way. To cure this I simply decided
          to keep the last input received and drop the rest and that works
          pretty well on my computer. But, obviously this is causing problems
          as described above (I never thought it would be that bad).

          So, for a solution. There are two conflicting goals:
          1. When typing, don't drop any input
          2. Avoid the scrolling problem above (and similar problems that I
          can't think of right now)

          The only thing I can think of right now that may work is to drop
          keyboard input if it comes from a repeated press (i.e. holding down
          "j"), but not when it represent a single key press. I'm going to try
          that now and see how it goes. Other ideas are, as always, welcome.

        • Jonathon Mah
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008
            Hi Björn,

            On 2008-10-02, at 01:16, björn wrote:

            > The only thing I can think of right now that may work is to drop
            > keyboard input if it comes from a repeated press (i.e. holding down
            > "j"), but not when it represent a single key press. I'm going to try
            > that now and see how it goes.

            That sounds like you'd be implementing that behavior on the back-end.
            How would that handle the case of repeating a key, and then pressing
            another key?

            I think of keyboard repeat as a "non-deterministic" thing; that is, it
            requires feedback (audio/visual) to be useful. So any time the screen
            gets out of sync with keyboard repeat is a bad thing. I'd recommend
            having the back-end process check in with the front-end when it's done
            processing its command queue, and then have the front-end implement
            keyboard repeat internally.

            The back-end would need to send back the last key it processed,
            otherwise there could be a race condition.

            That is,
            1. Front-end gets key presses, "hi.<esc>j" ('j' is held down by the
            user). Saves time of last key press.
            2. Front-end posts those keys to the back-end ('j' only once)
            3. Back-end processes queue, sends back EmptiedInputQueueEndingWith('j')
            4. Front-end gets message, sees that 'j' is still held down. If time
            of last key press < repeat interval, then start a timer waiting until
            it is.
            5. Now it's past the key repeat interval. If the key is still down,
            send one 'j' to the back-end, sets "repeating" status.
            6. Back-end processes key, sends back EmptiedInputQueueEndingWith
            7. Front-end gets message. If time of last key message < key repeat
            rate, start a timer. Loop to 5.

            It's fairly convoluted, but it seems like the most desirable behavior
            to me. You'd have to be careful doing repeat with modifiers, too. What
            do you think?

            Key repeat rates (in ticks, 1/60 sec):
            [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] integerForKey:@"KeyRepeat"]
            [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
            integerForKey:@"InitialKeyRepeat"]

            Is an event a key repeat? -[NSEvent isARepeat]

            Jonathon Mah
            me@...

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008
              2008/10/1 Jonathon Mah <me@...>:

              >> The only thing I can think of right now that may work is to drop
              >> keyboard input if it comes from a repeated press (i.e. holding down
              >> "j"), but not when it represent a single key press. I'm going to try
              >> that now and see how it goes.
              >
              > That sounds like you'd be implementing that behavior on the back-end.
              > How would that handle the case of repeating a key, and then pressing
              > another key?

              I don't see the problem. If a key is pressed while another is
              repeating, the repeating key will stop repeating. Did I miss
              something?

              > I think of keyboard repeat as a "non-deterministic" thing; that is, it
              > requires feedback (audio/visual) to be useful. So any time the screen
              > gets out of sync with keyboard repeat is a bad thing. I'd recommend
              > having the back-end process check in with the front-end when it's done
              > processing its command queue, and then have the front-end implement
              > keyboard repeat internally.
              >
              > The back-end would need to send back the last key it processed,
              > otherwise there could be a race condition.
              >
              > That is,
              > 1. Front-end gets key presses, "hi.<esc>j" ('j' is held down by the
              > user). Saves time of last key press.
              > 2. Front-end posts those keys to the back-end ('j' only once)
              > 3. Back-end processes queue, sends back EmptiedInputQueueEndingWith('j')
              > 4. Front-end gets message, sees that 'j' is still held down. If time
              > of last key press < repeat interval, then start a timer waiting until
              > it is.
              > 5. Now it's past the key repeat interval. If the key is still down,
              > send one 'j' to the back-end, sets "repeating" status.
              > 6. Back-end processes key, sends back EmptiedInputQueueEndingWith
              > 7. Front-end gets message. If time of last key message < key repeat
              > rate, start a timer. Loop to 5.
              >
              > It's fairly convoluted, but it seems like the most desirable behavior
              > to me. You'd have to be careful doing repeat with modifiers, too. What
              > do you think?

              It does seem overly complicated (perhaps because I didn't fully
              understand it yet) and I think the patch I wrote fixes the problem
              with a lot less work. Also, it doesn't seem to work well with the
              Cocoa input method where you don't test to see if a key is held,
              instead it sends events when a key is pressed and released. If my
              patch doesn't work I'll think some more about what you suggest, but
              for now I'd like to wait and see what the reaction to the patch is. I
              appreciate the input though!

            • Jonathon Mah
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008
                On 2008-10-02, at 07:35, björn wrote:

                > 2008/10/1 Jonathon Mah <me@...>:
                >>
                >>> The only thing I can think of right now that may work is to drop
                >>> keyboard input if it comes from a repeated press (i.e. holding down
                >>> "j"), but not when it represent a single key press. I'm going to
                >>> try
                >>> that now and see how it goes.
                >>
                >> That sounds like you'd be implementing that behavior on the back-end.
                >> How would that handle the case of repeating a key, and then pressing
                >> another key?
                >
                > I don't see the problem. If a key is pressed while another is
                > repeating, the repeating key will stop repeating. Did I miss
                > something?

                I haven't looked at your patch yet, but the situation I was thinking
                about is when a key is repeated (so there are keypresses in the queue
                that haven't been drawn yet), and a different key is pressed. The
                first key is no longer repeating, but its past repeats could still be
                queued. Think holding down 'j', so a lot of scroll events are queued,
                then hitting 'o'. When the 'o' event comes in, should the queued-but-
                not-drawn scroll commands be discarded?

                Jonathon Mah
                me@...

              • Matt Tolton
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2008
                  > I haven't looked at your patch yet, but the situation I was thinking
                  > about is when a key is repeated (so there are keypresses in the queue
                  > that haven't been drawn yet), and a different key is pressed. The
                  > first key is no longer repeating, but its past repeats could still be
                  > queued. Think holding down 'j', so a lot of scroll events are queued,
                  > then hitting 'o'. When the 'o' event comes in, should the queued-but-
                  > not-drawn scroll commands be discarded?

                  Seems like it would be hard to determine which keypresses indicate
                  scroll events and which do not. I could be mapping just about any key
                  in vim to do the same thing as j.

                • Matt Tolton
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
                    > Seems like it would be hard to determine which keypresses indicate
                    > scroll events and which do not. I could be mapping just about any key
                    > in vim to do the same thing as j.

                    Scratch that...it doesn't matter. You're talking about doing this for
                    any repeating key, which makes sense. Sorry.

                  • Steve Huff
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
                      On Oct 1, 2008, at 11:46 AM, björn wrote:

                      > Ouch, that is pretty bad. I guess your computer is a lot slower
                      > than mine.

                      it's all relative, i guess... i see this problem frequently on a
                      1.5GHz PPC mini at the office and much less frequently (but i still
                      see it!) on a dual 2.16GHz MacBook Pro at home. we can't all have
                      fancy MacBook Airs :)

                      -steve

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
                        2008/10/2 Jonathon Mah <me@...>:

                        >>> That sounds like you'd be implementing that behavior on the back-end.
                        >>> How would that handle the case of repeating a key, and then pressing
                        >>> another key?
                        >>
                        >> I don't see the problem. If a key is pressed while another is
                        >> repeating, the repeating key will stop repeating. Did I miss
                        >> something?
                        >
                        > I haven't looked at your patch yet, but the situation I was thinking
                        > about is when a key is repeated (so there are keypresses in the queue
                        > that haven't been drawn yet), and a different key is pressed. The
                        > first key is no longer repeating, but its past repeats could still be
                        > queued. Think holding down 'j', so a lot of scroll events are queued,
                        > then hitting 'o'. When the 'o' event comes in, should the queued-but-
                        > not-drawn scroll commands be discarded?

                        The way it works now is:

                        1. input arrives
                        2. is it a repeat?
                        2a. yes - queue it unless there already is input on the queue (in
                        which case it is silently dropped)
                        2b. no - just add it to the queue

                        The idea is that the user won't notice if a repeated key is dropped
                        but a typed key will most certainly be noticed. Also, the input
                        handling routine does not distinguish between key input representing
                        "scrolling" and "typing" (this would be a complete mess).

                        Hence there will never be more than one repeated key on the input
                        queue at a time so the scenario you outline cannot happen.

                      • Frank Hellenkamp
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008

                          >>> I don't see the problem. If a key is pressed while another is
                          >>> repeating, the repeating key will stop repeating. Did I miss
                          >>> something?
                          >> I haven't looked at your patch yet, but the situation I was thinking
                          >> about is when a key is repeated (so there are keypresses in the queue
                          >> that haven't been drawn yet), and a different key is pressed. The
                          >> first key is no longer repeating, but its past repeats could still be
                          >> queued. Think holding down 'j', so a lot of scroll events are queued,
                          >> then hitting 'o'. When the 'o' event comes in, should the queued-but-
                          >> not-drawn scroll commands be discarded?
                          >
                          > The way it works now is:
                          >
                          > 1. input arrives
                          > 2. is it a repeat?
                          > 2a. yes - queue it unless there already is input on the queue (in
                          > which case it is silently dropped)
                          > 2b. no - just add it to the queue

                          Does "repeat" mean keys, that are coming from auto-repeat, or also keys
                          like when I press two or three times "m"?

                          When it is the second one, it should probably drop from the third key
                          on, not from the second. (Like in "will", "miss", "kommen", "pressed" etc.)

                          best regards,

                          Frank

                          --
                          frank hellenkamp | interface designer
                          jonas.info@... | mail
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 2, 2008
                            2008/10/2 Frank Hellenkamp <jonas.info@...>:

                            >> The way it works now is:
                            >>
                            >> 1. input arrives
                            >> 2. is it a repeat?
                            >> 2a. yes - queue it unless there already is input on the queue (in
                            >> which case it is silently dropped)
                            >> 2b. no - just add it to the queue
                            >
                            > Does "repeat" mean keys, that are coming from auto-repeat, or also keys
                            > like when I press two or three times "m"?
                            >
                            > When it is the second one, it should probably drop from the third key
                            > on, not from the second. (Like in "will", "miss", "kommen", "pressed" etc.)

                            By "repeat" I mean "auto-repeat", as in "hold down a key and the OS
                            will repeat it for you". If you hit "m" 20 times in a row, then they
                            are all processed. If you hold down "m" for 20 seconds, nobody knows
                            how many "m" will be processed.

                            I think it would be unreasonable to check the input and drop a key if
                            it is appears three times or more in a row.