Re: updated vim binary for OSX

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26 11:37 PM
      On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:06:26PM -0800, Rain Dog wrote:
      :
      : I looked into this a while ago. The association of documents with
      : applications via Type and Creator codes is deprecated under OSX.
      : As far as I can tell, applications are no longer supposed to own the
      : documents they create. Instead, all documents of a certain type, as
      : identified by a filename extension like ".tex" or ".mov", are
      : associated with a single, default application, although the
      : association can be overridden for individual documents via the Finder.
      : Surprisingly, although the resource fork is also deprecated under OSX,
      : a new resource type, 'usro', was introduced in OSX to implement this
      : behavior; a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
      : file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
      : able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.

      Do you have a link to any Apple document that even talks about this new
      "usro" resource for OS X?

      --
      Eugene Lee
    • Rain Dog
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27 6:33 PM
        On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 11:37 PM, Eugene Lee wrote:

        > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:06:26PM -0800, Rain Dog wrote:
        > :
        > : a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
        > : file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
        > : able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.
        >
        > Do you have a link to any Apple document that even talks about this new
        > "usro" resource for OS X?

        No. A search of the ADC site reveals nothing at all.

        You can, of course, Derez a 'usro' resource, but that's not too
        illuminating.
        Mostly binary (possibly icon-related?) data.

        Peter