Re: updated vim binary for OSX

  • Rain Dog
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
      On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 03:02 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > I am still waiting for advice on how to associate "vim document" icons
      > with files created by vim. Douglas Stebila has kindly offered to
      > design more variants of his icons if it will be useful.

      FWIW:

      I looked into this a while ago. The association of documents with
      applications via Type and Creator codes is deprecated under OSX.
      As far as I can tell, applications are no longer supposed to own the
      documents they create. Instead, all documents of a certain type, as
      identified by a filename extension like ".tex" or ".mov", are
      associated with a single, default application, although the
      association can be overridden for individual documents via the Finder.
      Surprisingly, although the resource fork is also deprecated under OSX,
      a new resource type, 'usro', was introduced in OSX to implement this
      behavior; a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
      file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
      able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.

      That being said, the Type/Creator code mechanism is still alive
      (in Carbon, at least), and I've been successful in getting Vim to
      associate its Creator code with the documents it creates.
      Unfortunately, I haven't been successful in getting the Finder to
      associate the nice new Vim icon with these files, only the old
      32x32 icon.

      Peter
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
        On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:06:26PM -0800, Rain Dog wrote:
        :
        : I looked into this a while ago. The association of documents with
        : applications via Type and Creator codes is deprecated under OSX.
        : As far as I can tell, applications are no longer supposed to own the
        : documents they create. Instead, all documents of a certain type, as
        : identified by a filename extension like ".tex" or ".mov", are
        : associated with a single, default application, although the
        : association can be overridden for individual documents via the Finder.
        : Surprisingly, although the resource fork is also deprecated under OSX,
        : a new resource type, 'usro', was introduced in OSX to implement this
        : behavior; a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
        : file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
        : able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.

        Do you have a link to any Apple document that even talks about this new
        "usro" resource for OS X?

        --
        Eugene Lee
      • Rain Dog
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2003
          On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 11:37 PM, Eugene Lee wrote:

          > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:06:26PM -0800, Rain Dog wrote:
          > :
          > : a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
          > : file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
          > : able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.
          >
          > Do you have a link to any Apple document that even talks about this new
          > "usro" resource for OS X?

          No. A search of the ADC site reveals nothing at all.

          You can, of course, Derez a 'usro' resource, but that's not too
          illuminating.
          Mostly binary (possibly icon-related?) data.

          Peter