Re: updated vim binary for OSX

  • Erik Westra
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
      Hi Benji,

      > I am still waiting for advice on how to associate "vim document"
      > icons with files created by vim. Douglas Stebila has kindly offered to
      > design more variants of his icons if it will be useful.

      I'm very keen to help you out with this, but I'm working 16-hour days at
      the moment, so it'll have to wait until things quieten down. Hopefully
      within the next week things will return to normal.

      I'll let you know when I have a chance to look at this for you...

      Cheers,

      - Erik.
    • Rain Dog
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
        On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 03:02 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > I am still waiting for advice on how to associate "vim document" icons
        > with files created by vim. Douglas Stebila has kindly offered to
        > design more variants of his icons if it will be useful.

        FWIW:

        I looked into this a while ago. The association of documents with
        applications via Type and Creator codes is deprecated under OSX.
        As far as I can tell, applications are no longer supposed to own the
        documents they create. Instead, all documents of a certain type, as
        identified by a filename extension like ".tex" or ".mov", are
        associated with a single, default application, although the
        association can be overridden for individual documents via the Finder.
        Surprisingly, although the resource fork is also deprecated under OSX,
        a new resource type, 'usro', was introduced in OSX to implement this
        behavior; a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
        file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
        able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.

        That being said, the Type/Creator code mechanism is still alive
        (in Carbon, at least), and I've been successful in getting Vim to
        associate its Creator code with the documents it creates.
        Unfortunately, I haven't been successful in getting the Finder to
        associate the nice new Vim icon with these files, only the old
        32x32 icon.

        Peter
      • Eugene Lee
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
          On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:06:26PM -0800, Rain Dog wrote:
          :
          : I looked into this a while ago. The association of documents with
          : applications via Type and Creator codes is deprecated under OSX.
          : As far as I can tell, applications are no longer supposed to own the
          : documents they create. Instead, all documents of a certain type, as
          : identified by a filename extension like ".tex" or ".mov", are
          : associated with a single, default application, although the
          : association can be overridden for individual documents via the Finder.
          : Surprisingly, although the resource fork is also deprecated under OSX,
          : a new resource type, 'usro', was introduced in OSX to implement this
          : behavior; a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
          : file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
          : able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.

          Do you have a link to any Apple document that even talks about this new
          "usro" resource for OS X?

          --
          Eugene Lee
        • Rain Dog
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2003
            On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 11:37 PM, Eugene Lee wrote:

            > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:06:26PM -0800, Rain Dog wrote:
            > :
            > : a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
            > : file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
            > : able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.
            >
            > Do you have a link to any Apple document that even talks about this new
            > "usro" resource for OS X?

            No. A search of the ADC site reveals nothing at all.

            You can, of course, Derez a 'usro' resource, but that's not too
            illuminating.
            Mostly binary (possibly icon-related?) data.

            Peter