Re: Location of Files

  • Remillard
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2008
      On Sep 13, 2:31 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
      > ~/.vimrc and ~/.gvimrc sound good to me. Perhaps your files contain a
      > syntax error and thus are not loaded correctly? You can use `:source

      There was no ACTUAL syntax error, however, they did include ^M's from
      other file system text file types, and thus that counted as a
      technical syntax error as it was interpreted as part of the line. I
      put my settings in .gvimrc and it seemed to work out correctly.

      Also, the preferred font under Mac uses backslashes for spaces rather
      than underscores (Win) so that threw me for a bit as well. However
      all is now well on the configuration file front! Thank you.

      > Any folder in your path (see `echo $PATH` in the terminal) is fine.
      > I've put mine in /usr/local/bin and added
      >
      >      export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
      >
      > to my ~/.profile (without the spaces at the start of the line).

      Well, I'll have to dig some more, as it seemed to me like the Mac
      didn't have standard unix directory structure. If that were the case I
      would have stuck it in local bin without a thought.

      However I did find the :h macvim help text inside of vim and they had
      a suggestion for an alias and that worked out perfectly. So I can
      have a terminal open and type gvim <filename> and it works out just
      fine. I think if I do vi at the command line it uses an older version
      of terminal vim (6.2 or 6.3) without a lot of frills.

      Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

      Best regards,
      Remillard