Re: Feature request: a shell integrated in MacVim

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 12, 2008
      Daniele Avitabile wrote:
      > Hi everybody,
      >
      > I don't konw if what I'm talking about is complete nonsense, or if there
      > exist already a tool that performs my request.
      >
      > I would love to have a shell displayed just underneath MacVim. In other
      > words, I would like to have to avoid to type every time ":!" to execute
      > a command in my actual directory, but I'd rather have a proper shell.
      >
      > Actually, I would be curious to know how you usually deal with this,
      > have you simply got used to type ":!" every time?

      This is really a core Vim request, not a MacVim one, and despite quite a
      bit of popularity, it's unlikely to happen.

      :help design-not

      To avoid typing :! every time, I have

      :map <C-z> :shell<CR>

      So control-Z in MacVim is similar to what it does in a terminal (suspend
      Vim).

      Once you're in the shell, the terminal emulation is pretty poor (well,
      nonexistent, really), but it's OK for simple things. Improving the
      terminal emulation is something I'm going to try to look at over the
      next few months, probably, since it would significantly improve my Vim
      experience, and I think a lot of others would find it helpful too.

      I have a feeling someone has written a patch to Vim that allows you to
      have a shell in a Vim window, but I'm not sure of details.

      Ben.