updated vim binary for OSX

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2003
      Vim Mac users:

      I recently uploaded a new version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at

      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX

      This version includes the official patches through 6.1.411 and gives vim a
      creator code of VIM!. This does not work properly on my development system, but
      when I installed it on my employer's machine, it worked partially. New files I
      create with vim have no creator code, but if a file already has VIM! as its CC,
      then it opens with (the new version of) vim by default. Further suggestions and
      testing will be welcome!

      Also, OzTeX fails to open vim. This may already be fixed: I am still
      using 5.0, and Andrew Trevorrow recommends trying the beta for 5.1.

      I am still waiting for advice on how to associate "vim document" icons
      with files created by vim. Douglas Stebila has kindly offered to design more
      variants of his icons if it will be useful.

      Happy vimming!

      --Benji Fisher
    • Erik Westra
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
        Hi Benji,

        > I am still waiting for advice on how to associate "vim document"
        > icons with files created by vim. Douglas Stebila has kindly offered to
        > design more variants of his icons if it will be useful.

        I'm very keen to help you out with this, but I'm working 16-hour days at
        the moment, so it'll have to wait until things quieten down. Hopefully
        within the next week things will return to normal.

        I'll let you know when I have a chance to look at this for you...

        Cheers,

        - Erik.
      • Rain Dog
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
          On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 03:02 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > I am still waiting for advice on how to associate "vim document" icons
          > with files created by vim. Douglas Stebila has kindly offered to
          > design more variants of his icons if it will be useful.

          FWIW:

          I looked into this a while ago. The association of documents with
          applications via Type and Creator codes is deprecated under OSX.
          As far as I can tell, applications are no longer supposed to own the
          documents they create. Instead, all documents of a certain type, as
          identified by a filename extension like ".tex" or ".mov", are
          associated with a single, default application, although the
          association can be overridden for individual documents via the Finder.
          Surprisingly, although the resource fork is also deprecated under OSX,
          a new resource type, 'usro', was introduced in OSX to implement this
          behavior; a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
          file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
          able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.

          That being said, the Type/Creator code mechanism is still alive
          (in Carbon, at least), and I've been successful in getting Vim to
          associate its Creator code with the documents it creates.
          Unfortunately, I haven't been successful in getting the Finder to
          associate the nice new Vim icon with these files, only the old
          32x32 icon.

          Peter
        • Eugene Lee
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
            On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:06:26PM -0800, Rain Dog wrote:
            :
            : I looked into this a while ago. The association of documents with
            : applications via Type and Creator codes is deprecated under OSX.
            : As far as I can tell, applications are no longer supposed to own the
            : documents they create. Instead, all documents of a certain type, as
            : identified by a filename extension like ".tex" or ".mov", are
            : associated with a single, default application, although the
            : association can be overridden for individual documents via the Finder.
            : Surprisingly, although the resource fork is also deprecated under OSX,
            : a new resource type, 'usro', was introduced in OSX to implement this
            : behavior; a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
            : file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
            : able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.

            Do you have a link to any Apple document that even talks about this new
            "usro" resource for OS X?

            --
            Eugene Lee
          • Rain Dog
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2003
              On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 11:37 PM, Eugene Lee wrote:

              > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:06:26PM -0800, Rain Dog wrote:
              > :
              > : a resource fork containing a 'usro' resource is added to any
              > : file whose default application has been overridden. I have not been
              > : able to locate any documentation on the format of this resource.
              >
              > Do you have a link to any Apple document that even talks about this new
              > "usro" resource for OS X?

              No. A search of the ADC site reveals nothing at all.

              You can, of course, Derez a 'usro' resource, but that's not too
              illuminating.
              Mostly binary (possibly icon-related?) data.

              Peter