Re: Subject: Feature/Fix Requests

  • Jjgod Jiang
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
      On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
      > However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
      > debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
      > MacVim:

      Ah.. sorry, I forgot to rebuild Vim after source updated.

      - Jiang

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
        2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:

        > On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
        >> However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
        >> debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
        >> MacVim:
        >
        > Ah.. sorry, I forgot to rebuild Vim after source updated.

        No worries. That really is quite annoying...I keep forgetting to do
        this myself quite often too. I've been thinking about adding a
        "Makefile phase" (if there is such a thing?) to the Xcode project so
        that the Vim binary gets built automatically when you hit Cmd-B in
        Xcode, but I haven't had the time to look into how to do this (I find
        it hard to find time to do boring things like this ;-). Perhaps
        somebody on this list can tell me how this can be achieved and save me
        some time?

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
          2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:
          > Hi Björn,
          >
          > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
          >> Jiang: can you reproduce this problem with ATSUI? Do you know what is
          >> causing it?
          >
          > Yes, I can reproduce that, my guess is the buffer image size
          > does not match the text view size. Thus made the image copy
          > in drawRect: have to scale down a bit.

          That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
          compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
          drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
          faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.

        • ntiozymandias
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
            On Sep 7, 8:24 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

            > I cannot reproduce this problem.  The background changes color
            > immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
            > windowed or full-screen mode.  Maybe you can try renaming your
            > .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
            > are interfering in some way?
            >
            > Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?
            Just so we're on the same page (since reading back over my post, it
            seems my wording was a little ambiguous) by "background area" I mean
            the region outside the Vim window that only appears in full-screen
            mode, rather than the background of any text inside the Vim window.
            Wasn't sure what else to call it.

            I've tried fiddling with 'fuoptions', to no avail.

            > I've noticed this problem with the ATSUI renderer (independent of
            > column width and font size), but not with the default renderer.  Do
            > you see the problem with the default renderer as well, or only with
            > ATSUI?

            Whoops, I guess my switch to the ATSUI renderer would be the reason I
            started seeing this. No, I can't recall seeing it with the default
            renderer.
          • Jjgod Jiang
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
              On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
              > That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
              > compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
              > drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
              > faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.

              I applied this way and so far it works pretty well. So here is the
              patch.

              - Jiang
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                2008/9/7 ntiozymandias <ntiozymandias@...>:

                > On Sep 7, 8:24 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I cannot reproduce this problem. The background changes color
                >> immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
                >> windowed or full-screen mode. Maybe you can try renaming your
                >> .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
                >> are interfering in some way?
                >>
                >> Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?
                > Just so we're on the same page (since reading back over my post, it
                > seems my wording was a little ambiguous) by "background area" I mean
                > the region outside the Vim window that only appears in full-screen
                > mode, rather than the background of any text inside the Vim window.
                > Wasn't sure what else to call it.

                Aha...I misunderstood you. I guess that will have to be fixed.
                Hmm...wasn't there another patch in the pipeline for 'fuopt'?

                Thanks for pointing out the problem.

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                  2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:
                  > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                  >> That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
                  >> compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
                  >> drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
                  >> faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.
                  >
                  > I applied this way and so far it works pretty well. So here is the
                  > patch.

                  Thanks Jiang,

                  I will apply this patch...but do you know why the rects in full-screen
                  and windowed mode aren't the same (and hence explain why this blurring
                  occurred in full-screen)? I can look into myself but I thought I'd
                  ask in case you had an idea as to why this was.

                • Jjgod Jiang
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008

                    On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                    > I will apply this patch...but do you know why the rects in full-screen
                    > and windowed mode aren't the same (and hence explain why this blurring
                    > occurred in full-screen)? I can look into myself but I thought I'd
                    > ask in case you had an idea as to why this was.

                    I did some debugging, found out the rect requested by drawRect: to redraw
                    is sometimes 1 pixel wider than the frame/bounds size of the text view.
                    For example, if I add the following debugging code into drawRect:

                    NSLog(@"rect.size.width: r=%g, f=%g, b=%g", rect.size.width,
                    [self frame].size.width, [self bounds].size.width);

                    I can get this output in full screen mode:

                    2008-09-08 09:10:02.199 MacVim[15316:10b] rect.size.width: r=781, f=780,
                    b=780

                    That's something I've never seen and still unable to find out why,
                    though.

                    - Jiang