Re: Subject: Feature/Fix Requests

  • Jjgod Jiang
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
      Hi Björn,

      On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
      > Jiang: can you reproduce this problem with ATSUI? Do you know what is
      > causing it?

      Yes, I can reproduce that, my guess is the buffer image size
      does not match the text view size. Thus made the image copy
      in drawRect: have to scale down a bit.

      However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
      debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
      MacVim:

      $ build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim
      2008-09-07 21:06:34.554 MacVim[3389:10b] FATAL ERROR: Failed to register
      connection with name
      '/Users/jjgod/Codes/objc/MacVim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app-connection'
      2008-09-07 21:06:34.624 MacVim[3389:10b] *** CFMessagePort:
      bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port =
      0x5603, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
      See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
      2008-09-07 21:06:44.437 Vim[3363:713] WARNING: Timed-out waiting for GUI
      to launch.

      And I'm sure there is no other MacVim / Vim instance running.

      - Jiang
    • Jjgod Jiang
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
        On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
        > However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
        > debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
        > MacVim:

        Ah.. sorry, I forgot to rebuild Vim after source updated.

        - Jiang

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
          2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:

          > On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
          >> However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
          >> debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
          >> MacVim:
          >
          > Ah.. sorry, I forgot to rebuild Vim after source updated.

          No worries. That really is quite annoying...I keep forgetting to do
          this myself quite often too. I've been thinking about adding a
          "Makefile phase" (if there is such a thing?) to the Xcode project so
          that the Vim binary gets built automatically when you hit Cmd-B in
          Xcode, but I haven't had the time to look into how to do this (I find
          it hard to find time to do boring things like this ;-). Perhaps
          somebody on this list can tell me how this can be achieved and save me
          some time?

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
            2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:
            > Hi Björn,
            >
            > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
            >> Jiang: can you reproduce this problem with ATSUI? Do you know what is
            >> causing it?
            >
            > Yes, I can reproduce that, my guess is the buffer image size
            > does not match the text view size. Thus made the image copy
            > in drawRect: have to scale down a bit.

            That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
            compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
            drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
            faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.

          • ntiozymandias
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
              On Sep 7, 8:24 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

              > I cannot reproduce this problem.  The background changes color
              > immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
              > windowed or full-screen mode.  Maybe you can try renaming your
              > .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
              > are interfering in some way?
              >
              > Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?
              Just so we're on the same page (since reading back over my post, it
              seems my wording was a little ambiguous) by "background area" I mean
              the region outside the Vim window that only appears in full-screen
              mode, rather than the background of any text inside the Vim window.
              Wasn't sure what else to call it.

              I've tried fiddling with 'fuoptions', to no avail.

              > I've noticed this problem with the ATSUI renderer (independent of
              > column width and font size), but not with the default renderer.  Do
              > you see the problem with the default renderer as well, or only with
              > ATSUI?

              Whoops, I guess my switch to the ATSUI renderer would be the reason I
              started seeing this. No, I can't recall seeing it with the default
              renderer.
            • Jjgod Jiang
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                > That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
                > compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
                > drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
                > faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.

                I applied this way and so far it works pretty well. So here is the
                patch.

                - Jiang
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                  2008/9/7 ntiozymandias <ntiozymandias@...>:

                  > On Sep 7, 8:24 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I cannot reproduce this problem. The background changes color
                  >> immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
                  >> windowed or full-screen mode. Maybe you can try renaming your
                  >> .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
                  >> are interfering in some way?
                  >>
                  >> Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?
                  > Just so we're on the same page (since reading back over my post, it
                  > seems my wording was a little ambiguous) by "background area" I mean
                  > the region outside the Vim window that only appears in full-screen
                  > mode, rather than the background of any text inside the Vim window.
                  > Wasn't sure what else to call it.

                  Aha...I misunderstood you. I guess that will have to be fixed.
                  Hmm...wasn't there another patch in the pipeline for 'fuopt'?

                  Thanks for pointing out the problem.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                    2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:
                    > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                    >> That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
                    >> compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
                    >> drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
                    >> faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.
                    >
                    > I applied this way and so far it works pretty well. So here is the
                    > patch.

                    Thanks Jiang,

                    I will apply this patch...but do you know why the rects in full-screen
                    and windowed mode aren't the same (and hence explain why this blurring
                    occurred in full-screen)? I can look into myself but I thought I'd
                    ask in case you had an idea as to why this was.

                  • Jjgod Jiang
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008

                      On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                      > I will apply this patch...but do you know why the rects in full-screen
                      > and windowed mode aren't the same (and hence explain why this blurring
                      > occurred in full-screen)? I can look into myself but I thought I'd
                      > ask in case you had an idea as to why this was.

                      I did some debugging, found out the rect requested by drawRect: to redraw
                      is sometimes 1 pixel wider than the frame/bounds size of the text view.
                      For example, if I add the following debugging code into drawRect:

                      NSLog(@"rect.size.width: r=%g, f=%g, b=%g", rect.size.width,
                      [self frame].size.width, [self bounds].size.width);

                      I can get this output in full screen mode:

                      2008-09-08 09:10:02.199 MacVim[15316:10b] rect.size.width: r=781, f=780,
                      b=780

                      That's something I've never seen and still unable to find out why,
                      though.

                      - Jiang