Re: Subject: Feature/Fix Requests

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
      >> 1) I usually keep MacVim in full-screen mode. When I change color
      >> schemes, I have to leave and re-enter full-screen mode to get the
      >> background area to repaint itself. This is pretty minor, but still
      >> distracting. Is there some way MacVim could detect color scheme or
      >> highlighting changes, and repaint the fullscreen background? (I seem
      >> to recall that there are plans to eventually give the background its
      >> own highlight group. I'll be especially happy if (1) is fixed as a
      >> result of that change.)
      >
      > I cannot reproduce this problem. The background changes color
      > immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
      > windowed or full-screen mode.

      I believe ntiozymandias is using `set fuopts+=background:Normal`.

      > Maybe somebody who uses this input manager (I do not) could fix this
      > so that it is possible to change the key equivalent by modifying the
      > Info.plist (or something) instead? I'll be waiting for a patch... :-)

      I'll take a look at this.

      Nico

    • Jjgod Jiang
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
        Hi Björn,

        On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
        > Jiang: can you reproduce this problem with ATSUI? Do you know what is
        > causing it?

        Yes, I can reproduce that, my guess is the buffer image size
        does not match the text view size. Thus made the image copy
        in drawRect: have to scale down a bit.

        However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
        debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
        MacVim:

        $ build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim
        2008-09-07 21:06:34.554 MacVim[3389:10b] FATAL ERROR: Failed to register
        connection with name
        '/Users/jjgod/Codes/objc/MacVim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app-connection'
        2008-09-07 21:06:34.624 MacVim[3389:10b] *** CFMessagePort:
        bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port =
        0x5603, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
        See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
        2008-09-07 21:06:44.437 Vim[3363:713] WARNING: Timed-out waiting for GUI
        to launch.

        And I'm sure there is no other MacVim / Vim instance running.

        - Jiang
      • Jjgod Jiang
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
          On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
          > However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
          > debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
          > MacVim:

          Ah.. sorry, I forgot to rebuild Vim after source updated.

          - Jiang

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
            2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:

            > On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
            >> However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
            >> debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
            >> MacVim:
            >
            > Ah.. sorry, I forgot to rebuild Vim after source updated.

            No worries. That really is quite annoying...I keep forgetting to do
            this myself quite often too. I've been thinking about adding a
            "Makefile phase" (if there is such a thing?) to the Xcode project so
            that the Vim binary gets built automatically when you hit Cmd-B in
            Xcode, but I haven't had the time to look into how to do this (I find
            it hard to find time to do boring things like this ;-). Perhaps
            somebody on this list can tell me how this can be achieved and save me
            some time?

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
              2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:
              > Hi Björn,
              >
              > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
              >> Jiang: can you reproduce this problem with ATSUI? Do you know what is
              >> causing it?
              >
              > Yes, I can reproduce that, my guess is the buffer image size
              > does not match the text view size. Thus made the image copy
              > in drawRect: have to scale down a bit.

              That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
              compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
              drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
              faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.

            • ntiozymandias
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                On Sep 7, 8:24 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

                > I cannot reproduce this problem.  The background changes color
                > immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
                > windowed or full-screen mode.  Maybe you can try renaming your
                > .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
                > are interfering in some way?
                >
                > Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?
                Just so we're on the same page (since reading back over my post, it
                seems my wording was a little ambiguous) by "background area" I mean
                the region outside the Vim window that only appears in full-screen
                mode, rather than the background of any text inside the Vim window.
                Wasn't sure what else to call it.

                I've tried fiddling with 'fuoptions', to no avail.

                > I've noticed this problem with the ATSUI renderer (independent of
                > column width and font size), but not with the default renderer.  Do
                > you see the problem with the default renderer as well, or only with
                > ATSUI?

                Whoops, I guess my switch to the ATSUI renderer would be the reason I
                started seeing this. No, I can't recall seeing it with the default
                renderer.
              • Jjgod Jiang
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                  On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                  > That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
                  > compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
                  > drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
                  > faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.

                  I applied this way and so far it works pretty well. So here is the
                  patch.

                  - Jiang
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                    2008/9/7 ntiozymandias <ntiozymandias@...>:

                    > On Sep 7, 8:24 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I cannot reproduce this problem. The background changes color
                    >> immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
                    >> windowed or full-screen mode. Maybe you can try renaming your
                    >> .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
                    >> are interfering in some way?
                    >>
                    >> Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?
                    > Just so we're on the same page (since reading back over my post, it
                    > seems my wording was a little ambiguous) by "background area" I mean
                    > the region outside the Vim window that only appears in full-screen
                    > mode, rather than the background of any text inside the Vim window.
                    > Wasn't sure what else to call it.

                    Aha...I misunderstood you. I guess that will have to be fixed.
                    Hmm...wasn't there another patch in the pipeline for 'fuopt'?

                    Thanks for pointing out the problem.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                      2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:
                      > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                      >> That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
                      >> compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
                      >> drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
                      >> faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.
                      >
                      > I applied this way and so far it works pretty well. So here is the
                      > patch.

                      Thanks Jiang,

                      I will apply this patch...but do you know why the rects in full-screen
                      and windowed mode aren't the same (and hence explain why this blurring
                      occurred in full-screen)? I can look into myself but I thought I'd
                      ask in case you had an idea as to why this was.

                    • Jjgod Jiang
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008

                        On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                        > I will apply this patch...but do you know why the rects in full-screen
                        > and windowed mode aren't the same (and hence explain why this blurring
                        > occurred in full-screen)? I can look into myself but I thought I'd
                        > ask in case you had an idea as to why this was.

                        I did some debugging, found out the rect requested by drawRect: to redraw
                        is sometimes 1 pixel wider than the frame/bounds size of the text view.
                        For example, if I add the following debugging code into drawRect:

                        NSLog(@"rect.size.width: r=%g, f=%g, b=%g", rect.size.width,
                        [self frame].size.width, [self bounds].size.width);

                        I can get this output in full screen mode:

                        2008-09-08 09:10:02.199 MacVim[15316:10b] rect.size.width: r=781, f=780,
                        b=780

                        That's something I've never seen and still unable to find out why,
                        though.

                        - Jiang