Subject: Feature/Fix Requests

  • ntiozymandias
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2008
      MacVim development has come a long way, and I've lately been using it
      as my primary text editor. I have a couple of minor grievances,
      though.

      1) I usually keep MacVim in full-screen mode. When I change color
      schemes, I have to leave and re-enter full-screen mode to get the
      background area to repaint itself. This is pretty minor, but still
      distracting. Is there some way MacVim could detect color scheme or
      highlighting changes, and repaint the fullscreen background? (I seem
      to recall that there are plans to eventually give the background its
      own highlight group. I'll be especially happy if (1) is fixed as a
      result of that change.)

      2) The external editor plug-in uses an inconvenient keyboard shortcut
      that I can never quite remember. It's possible to change this by using
      third-party software or altering the plug-in itself, but it would be
      nice if there was also a preference to control it.

      3) This one's pretty bizarre: In full-screen mode, if the window is
      displaying an odd number of columns, the text appears blurry... But
      only with certain font/size combinations, with no discernable patter.
      I can get it to work with DejaVu Sans Mono size 18, and a few other
      fonts; I only recently realized it was related to the column width,
      since originally it seemed to me that it had to do with the scrollbar.
      Not urgent by any means, by the way; after all, I can always fix it by
      adding or removing a column.

      I think that's all for now.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
        2008/9/7 ntiozymandias <ntiozymandias@...>:

        > 1) I usually keep MacVim in full-screen mode. When I change color
        > schemes, I have to leave and re-enter full-screen mode to get the
        > background area to repaint itself. This is pretty minor, but still
        > distracting. Is there some way MacVim could detect color scheme or
        > highlighting changes, and repaint the fullscreen background? (I seem
        > to recall that there are plans to eventually give the background its
        > own highlight group. I'll be especially happy if (1) is fixed as a
        > result of that change.)

        I cannot reproduce this problem. The background changes color
        immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
        windowed or full-screen mode. Maybe you can try renaming your
        .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
        are interfering in some way?

        Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?

        > 2) The external editor plug-in uses an inconvenient keyboard shortcut
        > that I can never quite remember. It's possible to change this by using
        > third-party software or altering the plug-in itself, but it would be
        > nice if there was also a preference to control it.

        Currently there is no easy way to change this shortcut. The only way
        is to download the MacVim source code and go to the folder
        "src/MacVim/edit-in-odb". Open the .xcodeproj file in that folder and
        rebuild the project _after_ having changed lines 259 -- 260 in "Edit
        in ODBEditor.mm" to use the key+modifier mask you want. When you've
        rebuilt the project you'll get a new bundle which you have to place
        inside "/Library/InputManagers/Edit in ODBEditor" folder.

        Maybe somebody who uses this input manager (I do not) could fix this
        so that it is possible to change the key equivalent by modifying the
        Info.plist (or something) instead? I'll be waiting for a patch... :-)

        > 3) This one's pretty bizarre: In full-screen mode, if the window is
        > displaying an odd number of columns, the text appears blurry... But
        > only with certain font/size combinations, with no discernable patter.
        > I can get it to work with DejaVu Sans Mono size 18, and a few other
        > fonts; I only recently realized it was related to the column width,
        > since originally it seemed to me that it had to do with the scrollbar.
        > Not urgent by any means, by the way; after all, I can always fix it by
        > adding or removing a column.

        I've noticed this problem with the ATSUI renderer (independent of
        column width and font size), but not with the default renderer. Do
        you see the problem with the default renderer as well, or only with
        ATSUI?

        Jiang: can you reproduce this problem with ATSUI? Do you know what is
        causing it?

        I've attached screenshots showing what some text looks like in
        full-screen (with darkblue color scheme, default MacVim font) using
        the default renderer and the same text rendered in ATSUI.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
          2008/9/7 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>:

          > I've attached screenshots showing what some text looks like in
          > full-screen (with darkblue color scheme, default MacVim font) using
          > the default renderer and the same text rendered in ATSUI.

          UGH! I named the screenshots wrong. The one that says "ATSUI" is the
          default renderer (you can tell because it is sharp), the one that says
          "Default" is the ATSUI renderer (it is blurry).

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
            >> 1) I usually keep MacVim in full-screen mode. When I change color
            >> schemes, I have to leave and re-enter full-screen mode to get the
            >> background area to repaint itself. This is pretty minor, but still
            >> distracting. Is there some way MacVim could detect color scheme or
            >> highlighting changes, and repaint the fullscreen background? (I seem
            >> to recall that there are plans to eventually give the background its
            >> own highlight group. I'll be especially happy if (1) is fixed as a
            >> result of that change.)
            >
            > I cannot reproduce this problem. The background changes color
            > immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
            > windowed or full-screen mode.

            I believe ntiozymandias is using `set fuopts+=background:Normal`.

            > Maybe somebody who uses this input manager (I do not) could fix this
            > so that it is possible to change the key equivalent by modifying the
            > Info.plist (or something) instead? I'll be waiting for a patch... :-)

            I'll take a look at this.

            Nico

          • Jjgod Jiang
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
              Hi Björn,

              On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
              > Jiang: can you reproduce this problem with ATSUI? Do you know what is
              > causing it?

              Yes, I can reproduce that, my guess is the buffer image size
              does not match the text view size. Thus made the image copy
              in drawRect: have to scale down a bit.

              However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
              debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
              MacVim:

              $ build/Release/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim
              2008-09-07 21:06:34.554 MacVim[3389:10b] FATAL ERROR: Failed to register
              connection with name
              '/Users/jjgod/Codes/objc/MacVim/src/MacVim/build/Release/MacVim.app-connection'
              2008-09-07 21:06:34.624 MacVim[3389:10b] *** CFMessagePort:
              bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port =
              0x5603, name = 'org.vim.MacVim.ServiceProvider'
              See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
              2008-09-07 21:06:44.437 Vim[3363:713] WARNING: Timed-out waiting for GUI
              to launch.

              And I'm sure there is no other MacVim / Vim instance running.

              - Jiang
            • Jjgod Jiang
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
                > However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
                > debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
                > MacVim:

                Ah.. sorry, I forgot to rebuild Vim after source updated.

                - Jiang

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                  2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:

                  > On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...> wrote:
                  >> However when I pulled the latest source today and trying to
                  >> debug this problem, I got the following error on launching
                  >> MacVim:
                  >
                  > Ah.. sorry, I forgot to rebuild Vim after source updated.

                  No worries. That really is quite annoying...I keep forgetting to do
                  this myself quite often too. I've been thinking about adding a
                  "Makefile phase" (if there is such a thing?) to the Xcode project so
                  that the Vim binary gets built automatically when you hit Cmd-B in
                  Xcode, but I haven't had the time to look into how to do this (I find
                  it hard to find time to do boring things like this ;-). Perhaps
                  somebody on this list can tell me how this can be achieved and save me
                  some time?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                    2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:
                    > Hi Björn,
                    >
                    > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                    >> Jiang: can you reproduce this problem with ATSUI? Do you know what is
                    >> causing it?
                    >
                    > Yes, I can reproduce that, my guess is the buffer image size
                    > does not match the text view size. Thus made the image copy
                    > in drawRect: have to scale down a bit.

                    That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
                    compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
                    drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
                    faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.

                  • ntiozymandias
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                      On Sep 7, 8:24 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

                      > I cannot reproduce this problem.  The background changes color
                      > immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
                      > windowed or full-screen mode.  Maybe you can try renaming your
                      > .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
                      > are interfering in some way?
                      >
                      > Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?
                      Just so we're on the same page (since reading back over my post, it
                      seems my wording was a little ambiguous) by "background area" I mean
                      the region outside the Vim window that only appears in full-screen
                      mode, rather than the background of any text inside the Vim window.
                      Wasn't sure what else to call it.

                      I've tried fiddling with 'fuoptions', to no avail.

                      > I've noticed this problem with the ATSUI renderer (independent of
                      > column width and font size), but not with the default renderer.  Do
                      > you see the problem with the default renderer as well, or only with
                      > ATSUI?

                      Whoops, I guess my switch to the ATSUI renderer would be the reason I
                      started seeing this. No, I can't recall seeing it with the default
                      renderer.
                    • Jjgod Jiang
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                        On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                        > That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
                        > compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
                        > drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
                        > faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.

                        I applied this way and so far it works pretty well. So here is the
                        patch.

                        - Jiang
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                          2008/9/7 ntiozymandias <ntiozymandias@...>:

                          > On Sep 7, 8:24 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> I cannot reproduce this problem. The background changes color
                          >> immediately when I issue a :colorscheme command, whether I am in
                          >> windowed or full-screen mode. Maybe you can try renaming your
                          >> .vimrc/.gvimrc files and .vim folder and restart MacVim to see if they
                          >> are interfering in some way?
                          >>
                          >> Does this happen every time you issue a :colorscheme command?
                          > Just so we're on the same page (since reading back over my post, it
                          > seems my wording was a little ambiguous) by "background area" I mean
                          > the region outside the Vim window that only appears in full-screen
                          > mode, rather than the background of any text inside the Vim window.
                          > Wasn't sure what else to call it.

                          Aha...I misunderstood you. I guess that will have to be fixed.
                          Hmm...wasn't there another patch in the pipeline for 'fuopt'?

                          Thanks for pointing out the problem.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                            2008/9/7 Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod@...>:
                            > On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                            >> That makes sense. Perhaps a quick fix would be to simply use
                            >> compositeToPoint:operation: instead of
                            >> drawInRect:fromRect:operation:fraction: (the former is supposedly
                            >> faster too)? I haven't tested it myself yet.
                            >
                            > I applied this way and so far it works pretty well. So here is the
                            > patch.

                            Thanks Jiang,

                            I will apply this patch...but do you know why the rects in full-screen
                            and windowed mode aren't the same (and hence explain why this blurring
                            occurred in full-screen)? I can look into myself but I thought I'd
                            ask in case you had an idea as to why this was.

                          • Jjgod Jiang
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008

                              On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, björn wrote:
                              > I will apply this patch...but do you know why the rects in full-screen
                              > and windowed mode aren't the same (and hence explain why this blurring
                              > occurred in full-screen)? I can look into myself but I thought I'd
                              > ask in case you had an idea as to why this was.

                              I did some debugging, found out the rect requested by drawRect: to redraw
                              is sometimes 1 pixel wider than the frame/bounds size of the text view.
                              For example, if I add the following debugging code into drawRect:

                              NSLog(@"rect.size.width: r=%g, f=%g, b=%g", rect.size.width,
                              [self frame].size.width, [self bounds].size.width);

                              I can get this output in full screen mode:

                              2008-09-08 09:10:02.199 MacVim[15316:10b] rect.size.width: r=781, f=780,
                              b=780

                              That's something I've never seen and still unable to find out why,
                              though.

                              - Jiang