[vim-mac] Re: Multibyte vim 5.7 for Macintosh available

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2000
      Kenichi Asai wrote:

      > I prepared a compressed version which is available at:
      >
      > http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/vim.mcp.sit.hqx

      Very good. I'd like to hear from others if I should include this one.

      > You can either
      >
      > - change its name to os_mac.cw5.hqx, or
      >
      > - change its name to os_mac.cw5.sit.hqx and change src/INSTALL_mac.txt
      > accordingly.

      I prefer short names, otherwise "ls" shows only three columns. How about
      "os_mac.sit.hqx"? The "sit" shows it's compressed. Or would it be more
      important to use the "cw5"?

      > Both should work fine.
      >
      > >I have trouble downloaing this file with Netscape, it insists on decoding it
      > >and I can't find how to disable that...
      >
      > Select Preferences from the Edit menu, click Applications under
      > Navigator folder, find "Macintosh Binhex Archive", click Edit, and
      > select "Save To Disk". This is how I did it with my Netscape
      > Communicator 4.6.

      It wasn't there in my version (I'm using the Linux version on FreeBSD).
      Perhaps the "netscape default" is catching it. I'll add an entry for ".hqx"
      with "save to disk", lets see if that works...

      132. You come back and check this list every half-hour.

    • Sven Guckes
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2000
        * Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000628 13:27]:
        > I have not tested this recently, but IIRC the only file that
        > matters is the tags file, which should be in Mac format.
        > In older versions of vim (around 5.3, when i started using it)
        > any file that was :sourced had to be in UNIX format,
        > but that has been fixed.

        I wonder - can it be fixed that the format of the
        tags file has to be in DOS/Mac/Unix format?

        If so then there would be no need to convert any files
        and there would be no need for extra runtime archives.

        Please keepin mind that this will make it
        just more complicated for the database
        used to download Vim and the runtime files:

        Download Vim:
        what: [Archive] (binary/runtime/source)
        for: [Operating System] (Windows*, Linux, FreeBSD,...)
        from: [Mirror] (ftp.country.vim.org)

        Sven