fortran highlighting not working

  • Srinath
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 25, 2008
      With the most recent snapshot, the fortran highlighting for
      fortran_free_form is not working.
    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 26, 2008
        Hi Srinath,

        On 26.08.2008, at 08:09, Srinath wrote:

        > With the most recent snapshot, the fortran highlighting for
        > fortran_free_form is not working.

        does it work with the system stock `vim` in Terminal.app? If so,
        please do `:e $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/fortran.vim`. What's the version of
        that file (third line)? MacVim ships with version 0.88, which is the
        official fortran syntax file -- also included with vim7.2 (7.0 even).

        If highlighting for `fortran_free_form` stopped working, it's probably
        because the fortran syntax file was changed.

        Hm, after some googling I suspect that you're talking about
        `fortran_free_source`. Could you elaborate on the problem?

        Nico

      • Srinath
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 26, 2008
          I got things to work by using the snap shot right before the last
          stable release (7-2?). I will elaborate later today.

          On Aug 26, 6:24 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
          > Hi Srinath,
          >
          > On 26.08.2008, at 08:09, Srinath wrote:
          >

          > > With the most recent snapshot, the fortran highlighting for
          > > fortran_free_form is not working.
          >
          > does it work with the system stock `vim` in Terminal.app? If so,
          > please do `:e $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/fortran.vim`. What's the version of
          > that file (third line)? MacVim ships with version 0.88, which is the
          > official fortran syntax file -- also included with vim7.2 (7.0 even).
          >
          > If highlighting for `fortran_free_form` stopped working, it's probably
          > because the fortran syntax file was changed.
          >
          > Hm, after some googling I suspect that you're talking about
          > `fortran_free_source`. Could you elaborate on the problem?
          >
          > Nico
        • Srinath
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
            Is it the case that the .gvimrc is sourced only once upon starting
            MacVim? I now know what is my issue.
            Normally in this modern age ;), one would have "let
            fortran_free_source=1" in their .gvimrc file. If one was to get fancy
            (hey...fortran is to a modern language ;)), then one would comment out
            the quoted above and instead use:
            "or comment-out the above and uncomment this:
            let s:extfname = expand("%:e") " .f90 wil be free, .f fixed
            if s:extfname ==? "f90"
            let fortran_free_source=1
            elseif s:extfname ==? "F90"
            let fortran_free_source=1
            else
            unlet! fortran_free_source
            endif

            and free form would be selected because of file extension, and all
            excluded would be considered fixed form. Now, if one starts with
            "macvim <foo>.f90", then all further opened files will be opened with
            "let fortran_free_source=1". But, if one starts "macvim <bar>.f" it
            is properly highlighted as fixed form fortran, but if I open a new tab
            for <foo>.f90, MacVim is still using "unlet fortran_free_source", and
            thus is incorrectly highlighted.

            So, how do get the .vimrc or .gvimrc source with every new tab? Also,
            can I get an explanation for the different purposes for .vimrc
            and .gvimrc?

            Thanks so much for making MacVim what it is,
            <>Srinath

            On Aug 26, 8:21 am, Srinath <srinath.vadlam...@...> wrote:
            > I got things to work by using the snap shot right before the last
            > stable release (7-2?).   I will elaborate later today.
            >
            > On Aug 26, 6:24 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Srinath,
            >
            > > On 26.08.2008, at 08:09, Srinath wrote:
            >
            > > > With the most recent snapshot, the fortran highlighting for
            > > > fortran_free_form is not working.
            >
            > > does it work with the system stock `vim` in Terminal.app? If so,
            > > please do `:e $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/fortran.vim`. What's the version of
            > > that file (third line)? MacVim ships with version 0.88, which is the
            > > official fortran syntax file -- also included with vim7.2 (7.0 even).
            >
            > > If highlighting for `fortran_free_form` stopped working, it's probably
            > > because the fortran syntax file was changed.
            >
            > > Hm, after some googling I suspect that you're talking about
            > > `fortran_free_source`. Could you elaborate on the problem?
            >
            > > Nico
          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hi Srinath,

              On 02.09.2008, at 20:04, Srinath wrote:

              > Is it the case that the .gvimrc is sourced only once upon starting
              > MacVim?

              Yes. That's normal vim behavior.

              > So, how do get the .vimrc or .gvimrc source with every new tab?

              You do not really want to do that :-) What you want is a file plugin.
              `:h vimrc-filetype` gives an overview what this is, but a not very
              good one. Here's what you want to do, in a nutshell:

              1. Put `filetype plugin on` in your .vimrc

              2. Add a file called `f90.vim` to the folder ~/.vim/ftplugin/. This
              file will be execute every time you edit a .f90 file

              3. Put `let fortran_free_source=1` in that file.

              Now everything should work fine. If not, get back to us.

              > Also, can I get an explanation for the different purposes for .vimrc
              > and .gvimrc?

              Sure. .vimrc is read ever time you start MacVim. .gvimrc is only read
              when starting in gui mode (type `vim` in a terminal and hit enter to
              see vim in non-gui mode).

              HTH,
              Nico

            • Srinath
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
                I had to create ~/.vim/ftplugin directories. I added f90.vim
                and also added a F90.vim with the solo line:

                let fortran_free_source=1

                This did not work. I must be missing some.
                <>Srinath

                On Sep 2, 1:40 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
                > Hi Srinath,
                >
                > On 02.09.2008, at 20:04, Srinath wrote:
                >
                > > Is it the case that the .gvimrc is sourced only once upon starting
                > > MacVim?
                >
                > Yes. That's normal vim behavior.
                >
                > > So, how do get the .vimrc or .gvimrc source with every new tab?
                >
                > You do not really want to do that :-) What you want is a file plugin.
                > `:h vimrc-filetype` gives an overview what this is, but a not very
                > good one. Here's what you want to do, in a nutshell:
                >
                > 1. Put `filetype plugin on` in your .vimrc
                >
                > 2. Add a file called `f90.vim` to the folder ~/.vim/ftplugin/. This
                > file will be execute every time you edit a .f90 file
                >
                > 3. Put `let fortran_free_source=1` in that file.
                >
                > Now everything should work fine. If not, get back to us.
                >
                > >  Also, can I get an explanation for the different purposes for .vimrc
                > > and .gvimrc?
                >
                > Sure. .vimrc is read ever time you start MacVim. .gvimrc is only read
                > when starting in gui mode (type `vim` in a terminal and hit enter to
                > see vim in non-gui mode).
                >

                > HTH,
                > Nico
              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008

                  On 03.09.2008, at 06:35, Srinath wrote:

                  > I had to create ~/.vim/ftplugin directories. I added f90.vim
                  > and also added a F90.vim with the solo line:
                  >
                  > let fortran_free_source=1
                  >
                  > This did not work. I must be missing some.

                  my fault, I'm just not familiar with that fortran stuff :-P So, remove
                  f90.vim and F90.vim and instead put a file called 'fortran.vim' into
                  ~/.vim/ftplugin (the file needs to be called like the filetype it
                  should be loaded for -- the output of `:set filetype?` is hopefully
                  "fortran" on your system, too). In that file fortran.vim put

                  let s:extfname = expand("%:e")
                  if s:extfname ==? "f90"
                  let fortran_free_source=1
                  unlet! fortran_fixed_source
                  else
                  let fortran_fixed_source=1
                  unlet! fortran_free_source
                  endif

                  Note that this will work only if the "filetype plugin indent on" command
                  precedes the "syntax on" command in your .vimrc file.

                  (taken from `:h fortran`).

                  Does this help?

                  Nico