Vim in an IDE

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2003
      Many times have I been asked to support running a debugger in Vim. I
      always responded that Vim is an editor, not an IDE. If you want to
      debug your code with Vim, make a framework that integrates Vim with
      other tools, such as a debugger.

      That framework was never made... Until Agide was born!

      Agide stands for A-A-P GUI IDE. This IDE is designed as a framework in
      which separate tools can work together. This makes it very flexible.
      Currently Vim and gdb are supported, making it possible to debug C
      programs. Read the tutorial to get an idea how this works:

      http://www.agide.org/agidetutor.html

      There are plenty of pictures, thus you can also read this if you didn't
      install Agide (yet).

      The current version is just a starting point. It is easy to add more
      tools, thus with help from volunteers Agide should grow pretty fast.

      Notes:

      - Do read the remarks about downloading and installation. You probably
      won't get very far without that:

      http://www.a-a-p.org/download.html#Agide

      - It only works properly on Unix. If you do use Agide on MS-Windows,
      please report problems you notice. It's even better if you know how
      to fix them!

      - Obviously many more features can and should be added. But I do not
      have much time available. Agide will only grow with the help of
      others. If you want to add a tool, the file Agide/Tools/README.txt
      describes the interface.

      64. The remote to the T.V. is missing...and you don't even care.