[Fwd: Re: Using Vim with OzTeX 5.0]

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2003
      > Hi Benji,
      >
      >> Thanks to some recent work, it is now more convenient to start Vim.app (Carbon version for OSX) from the command line. With
      >>
      >> % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g +17 .vimrc &
      >>
      >> I start up Vim on Line 17 of my vimrc file. It used to be that Terminal would still have the focus, but with the latest version, Vim comes to the front.
      >>
      >> I spent a couple of minutes looking through ozuser.dvi and did not find any way to specify the editor using a unix command. Is there a way, or is adding a line to my Tools menu the best I can do? I have not yet tried overriding the keyboard shortcut for calling the editor...
      >
      > First thing: does your app still use "????" for its creator code?
      > If so please give it a more sensible (but unique) code like "vimB".
      > I think there is another Mac version of Vim that uses "VIM!", so
      > avoid that.
      >
      > Then you can put "text_editor = vimB" at the top of your Local file
      > and the Oz* apps will be able to find your app when you select
      > "Edit <file>" from the bottom of their Edit menus. That's assuming
      > your app supports the standard odoc Apple event -- does it?
      > Also, all (new) TEXT files created by Oz* will have that creator code.
      > But make sure you get this latest OzTeX 5.1 beta version which has
      > a much more reliable search strategy for finding apps:
      >
      > ftp://ftp.trevorrow.com/beta/oztex51b2.sit
      >
      > The archive assumes you are already using OzTeX 5.0. Just replace your
      > existing Oz* apps with the new versions in the archive.
      >
      > Now, if for some reason you don't want to give your app a sensible
      > creator code then you should still be able to call it from OzTeX's
      > Tools menu via an extra_tools entry like this:
      >
      > extra_tools = $c |
      > "unix,quiet /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g +1 %f,Vim,tex"
      >
      > That should open foo.tex in Vim and go to the 1st line if I understand
      > you correctly. Maybe if you don't have that "-g +1" then it will open
      > the file at the most recent position?
      >
      > Andrew

      The mail quoted above is an exchange between me and Andrew Trevorrow, who
      wrote the OzTeX package of TeX. Is there any chance of getting a reasonable
      creator code and dealing with Apple events? (If this requires Project Builder
      instead of Muraoka Taro's Makefile, as modified by Peter Cucka, has anyone
      figured out how to get Perl support with PB?) Or should I concentrate on the
      second method for calling Vim from OzTeX?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Rain Dog
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2003
        On Saturday, March 8, 2003, at 04:07 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Is there any chance of getting a reasonable creator code and dealing
        > with Apple events? (If this requires Project Builder instead of
        > Muraoka Taro's Makefile, as modified by Peter Cucka, has anyone
        > figured out how to get Perl support with PB?) Or should I concentrate
        > on the second method for calling Vim from OzTeX?

        Haven't had time to look into setting the creator code, but Vim does
        already support
        the Open and Quit Apple events (and maybe others).

        The file Vim.app/Contents/PkgInfo, which is generated by the makefile,
        contains the
        type and creator codes (currently "APPL????", should be "APPLVIM!").
        It's necessary,
        but probably not sufficient, to change this file to get the behavior
        you want.
        Other things you might try are creating a Finder copy of the modified
        Vim.app/
        and then restarting the Finder or logging out and back in again.

        Peter