Re: Multiple windows?

  • Jay Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14 3:03 PM
      > I'd like to know: is it possible to open some files in some windows?
      > I mean, to use a window for each file, instead of using buffers.

      What I do is start multiple instances of Vim from the command line:

      /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g foo.pm bar.pm stuff.pm
      &
      /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g index.html header.html
      &

      My *ONLY* beef about doing this is that the dock items for Vim do not
      have a specific label set for them. So you have to remember which one
      to cmd-Tab to. I'd like to see the option to set the Dock label to
      something other than "Vim" (ie - active file being edited). I checked
      the Carbon and Cocoa docs and did not see any calls to make this
      happen. Seems to be set to the Application's name. Perhaps setting that?

      Anyway, in fact, I have the following in my .tcshrc

      alias vim /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g
      alias pvim 'pushd \!*; vim `cat MANIFEST` &; popd'

      The pvim alias is cool for Perl programmer who work on modules ... as
      it will open an instance of Vim with all your files opened ... in the
      order they are listed in MANIFEST. :) I put my favorite files at the
      top making them easy to switch via :b1 :b2 :b3, etc.

      So, I use multiple instances of Vim running, buffers and split windows
      in vim ... all spanned across my main monitor and my laptop's built-in
      monitor. Coolness! Thanks for Vim on OS X, guys!

      Cheers,
      Jay