'mvim' problem

  • clarkbai
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 3 3:41 PM
      Hey, guys. I copy the mvim into the Path '~\bin', but in terminal :'-
      bash: mvim: command not found'.
      I guess that is why my pdfsync can not used.
      I have opened the option in preference about shell.

      Any idea? Thanks!

      Bai

      ps: I am freaked out by XXX- -!

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 3 7:01 PM
        clarkbai wrote:
        > Hey, guys. I copy the mvim into the Path '~\bin', but in terminal :'-
        > bash: mvim: command not found'.
        > I guess that is why my pdfsync can not used.
        > I have opened the option in preference about shell.

        I suppose this isn't a Vim problem but a $PATH problem generally.

        Where do set your $PATH (to include ~/bin)? It should be set in
        ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile (and you probably should
        only have one of those, as bash will only read the first one it
        finds--the most common one to use is ~/.profile).

        You should NOT set it in ~/.bashrc which is used for interactive
        non-login shells, or ssh non-interactive logins (why this horrible
        inconsistency, I don't know, but bash is really strange...). (If you do
        need a different path for non-interactive ssh logins you will have to do
        some jiggerypokery...)

        The simple solution is probably to add this to your ~/.profile file (create that
        file if necessary):

        export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

        and if you had something similar in ~/.bashrc, remove it.

        Ben.

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 3 7:03 PM
          clarkbai wrote:
          > In addition, double click seems "Error detected while processing /
          > Users/bp/.vimrc:
          > line 1:
          > E492: Not an editor command: vxvx
          > "
          > What is the correct path for .vimrc??
          >
          > I am so confused.

          That's the right place for .vimrc. But :vxvx isn't a Vim command, so you
          shouldn't have that in your .vimrc! It doesn't make sense as a normal
          command either. So what are you trying to do with .vimrc? Are you sure
          it is sensible?

          Ben.

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 4 3:35 AM

            > Hey, guys. I copy the mvim into the Path '~\bin', but in terminal :'-
            > bash: mvim: command not found'.
            > I guess that is why my pdfsync can not used.
            > I have opened the option in preference about shell.

            ~/bin does not help. You can see the directories in your path by doing
            `echo $PATH` in the terminal. You can for example do

            sudo cp ~/Downloads/MacVim/mvim /usr/bin

            Nico

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 4 3:36 AM

              On 04.08.2008, at 00:45, clarkbai wrote:

              > In addition, double click seems "Error detected while processing /
              > Users/bp/.vimrc:
              > line 1:
              > E492: Not an editor command: vxvx
              > "
              > What is the correct path for .vimrc??

              It looks like your .vimrc is at its correct path, but it contains
              garbage. What's the content of your ~/.vimrc?

            • clarkbai
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 4 4:33 AM
                my .vimrc path is :
                " System vimrc file for MacVim
                "
                " Maintainer: Bjorn Winckler <bjorn.winckler@...>
                " Last Change: Sun May 25 2008

                set nocompatible

                " The default for 'backspace' is very confusing to new users, so
                change it to a
                " more sensible value. Add "set backspace&" to your ~/.vimrc to reset
                it.
                set backspace+=indent,eol,start

                """set highlight search""""
                set hlsearch
                " REQUIRED. This makes vim invoke latex-suite when you open a tex
                file.
                filetype plugin on

                " IMPORTANT: win32 users will need to have 'shellslash' set so that
                latex
                " can be called correctly.
                set shellslash

                " IMPORTANT: grep will sometimes skip displaying the file name if you
                " search in a singe file. This will confuse latex-suite. Set your grep
                " program to alway generate a file-name.
                set grepprg=grep\ -nH\ $*

                " OPTIONAL: This enables automatic indentation as you type.
                filetype indent on
                let g:tex_flavor='latex'
                -------------------------------

                and path is /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/vimrc

                Any problem?

                BW

                Bai

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 4 5:02 AM

                  > my .vimrc path is :

                  no, that's MacVim's ~/.vimrc, not _your_ .vimrc. It is in ~/.vimrc
                  (see error message below). Open a terminal, type in `pbcopy <
                  ~/.vimrc`, then press ⌘V in mail.app to paste the contents.

                  Nico

                  > On Aug 4, 11:36 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
                  >> Hi,
                  >>
                  >> On 04.08.2008, at 00:45, clarkbai wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> In addition, double click seems "Error detected while processing /
                  >>> Users/bp/.vimrc:
                  >>> line 1:
                  >>> E492: Not an editor command: vxvx
                  >>> "
                  >>> What is the correct path for .vimrc??
                  >>
                  >> It looks like your .vimrc is at its correct path, but it contains
                  >> garbage. What's the content of your ~/.vimrc?

                • Ted Pavlic
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 4 5:07 AM
                    Bai --

                    > Hey, guys. I copy the mvim into the Path '~\bin', but in terminal :'-
                    > bash: mvim: command not found'.

                    How did you copy mvim into your bin directory?

                    *) Make sure that you used the directory

                    ~/bin

                    that is, you want to use a SLASH and *NOT* a backslash. For example, if
                    you did:

                    cp mvim ~\bin

                    then you would simply create a file called "~bin" (in the current
                    directory) that was identical to mvim. On the other hand, if you did:

                    cp mvim ~/bin

                    you would copy mvim into your ~/bin directory.

                    *) Can you verify that you *have* a bin directory? Look through your
                    home directory and make sure that you can open your "bin" directory and
                    verify that mvim is INSIDE it. If you didn't have a bin directory, you
                    would just copy mvim to a file called "bin" inside your home directory.

                    *) As others have mentioned, you need to make sure that your home
                    directory is in your path. The command:

                    echo $PATH

                    will list your path (with entries separated by colons).

                    --Ted

                    --
                    Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                  • clarkbai
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 4 5:21 AM
                      That is: vxvx.

                      That means there are two .vimrc files? one for ~/.vimrc, and another
                      one is in macvim package?

                      Which one should I use?

                      How can I modify the ~/.vimrc?

                      Best wishes.

                      Bai

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 4 5:31 AM

                        On 04.08.2008, at 14:21, clarkbai wrote:

                        > That is: vxvx.

                        So you're ~/.vimrc contains garbage. You can do `rm ~/.vimrc` to fix
                        this.

                        > That means there are two .vimrc files? one for ~/.vimrc, and another
                        > one is in macvim package?

                        Yes. The one in the macvim package will be overwritten each time you
                        update macvim.

                        > Which one should I use?

                        You should use ~/.vimrc .

                        > How can I modify the ~/.vimrc?

                        With any text editor, for example with (duh) MacVim. In terminal, do
                        `mvim ~/.vimrc` to open the file, then put in there anything you want.

                        Nico

                      • clarkbai
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 4 5:41 AM
                          So, the path '~/vim' still means the one in macvim package?
                          or others?
                          I create a '~/bin' file in my homedirectory and copy mvim into it.

                          but---dyn1212-200:~ bp$ mvim ~/.vimrc
                          -bash: mvim: command not found

                          ???Sorry to bother you again. I am - -!

                          Thanks.

                          Bai

                          On Aug 4, 1:31 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > On 04.08.2008, at 14:21, clarkbai wrote:
                          >
                          > > That is: vxvx.
                          >
                          > So you're ~/.vimrc contains garbage. You can do `rm ~/.vimrc` to fix
                          > this.
                          >
                          > > That means there are two .vimrc files? one for ~/.vimrc, and another
                          > > one is in macvim package?
                          >
                          > Yes. The one in the macvim package will be overwritten each time you
                          > update macvim.
                          >
                          > > Which one should I use?
                          >
                          > You should use ~/.vimrc .
                          >
                          > > How can I modify the ~/.vimrc?
                          >
                          > With any text editor, for example with (duh) MacVim. In terminal, do
                          > `mvim ~/.vimrc` to open the file, then put in there anything you want.
                          >
                          > Nico
                        • Robin
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 4 5:54 AM
                            In UNIX "~/" is just a shortcut to get to your users home directory.

                            There are two vimrc files - the standard one inside the macvim package
                            which you shouldn't change, and an (optional) .vimrc in your home
                            directory (/Users/bp) which is often referred to as ~/.vimrc.

                            ~/bin is a folder a lot of people use for putting personal things they
                            want on the path. The important thing is it should be a folder not a
                            file, and it should be on your path. In this case the simplest thing
                            to do is probably to delete ~/bin or /Users/bc/bin (both refer to the
                            same file - I am just trying to get across the meaning of the ~). Then
                            just copy 'mvim' to /usr/local/bin. You can do this in the Finder if
                            you are having trouble with the command line. This directory is
                            already on your path so you should then be able to run mvim to edit or
                            create a .vimrc as required.

                            On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:41 PM, clarkbai <clarkbai@...> wrote:

                            > So, the path '~/vim' still means the one in macvim package?
                            > or others?

                            I don't think anyone has references a ~/vim. ~/ is your home directory
                            so ~/vim would be a file called vim in your home directory.
                            When people say ~/.vimrc they mean the file /Users/bc/.vimrc which is
                            your personal copy not in the macvim pacakge.

                            > I create a '~/bin' file in my homedirectory and copy mvim into it.

                            See above - must be a folder not a directory, and besides ~/bin isn't
                            on your path anyway.

                            Robin

                          • clarkbai
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 4 6:09 AM
                              Thanks, I solve the first problem about copying mvim in proper
                              directory.

                              The second is :copy sth into ~/.vim , is this path for home or macvim
                              package,
                              if for home, where is it, should I create myself.

                              - -! Thanks

                              Bai

                              On Aug 4, 1:54 pm, Robin <robi...@...> wrote:
                              > In UNIX "~/" is just a shortcut to get to your users home directory.
                              >
                              > There are two vimrc files - the standard one inside the macvim package
                              > which you shouldn't change, and an (optional) .vimrc in your home
                              > directory (/Users/bp) which is often referred to as ~/.vimrc.
                              >
                              > ~/bin is a folder a lot of people use for putting personal things they
                              > want on the path. The important thing is it should be a folder not a
                              > file, and it should be on your path. In this case the simplest thing
                              > to do is probably to delete ~/bin or /Users/bc/bin (both refer to the
                              > same file - I am just trying to get across the meaning of the ~). Then
                              > just copy 'mvim' to /usr/local/bin. You can do this in the Finder if
                              > you are having trouble with the command line. This directory is
                              > already on your path so you should then be able to run mvim to edit or
                              > create a .vimrc as required.
                              >
                              > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:41 PM, clarkbai <clark...@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > So, the path '~/vim' still means the one in macvim package?
                              > > or others?
                              >
                              > I don't think anyone has references a ~/vim. ~/ is your home directory
                              > so ~/vim would be a file called vim in your home directory.
                              > When people say ~/.vimrc they mean the file /Users/bc/.vimrc which is
                              > your personal copy not in the macvim pacakge.
                              >
                              > > I create a '~/bin' file in my homedirectory and copy mvim into it.
                              >
                              > See above - must be a folder not a directory, and besides ~/bin isn't
                              > on your path anyway.
                              >
                              > Robin
                            • Robin
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 4 6:15 AM
                                On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM, clarkbai <clarkbai@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks, I solve the first problem about copying mvim in proper
                                > directory.
                                >
                                > The second is :copy sth into ~/.vim , is this path for home or macvim
                                > package,
                                > if for home, where is it, should I create myself.

                                I'm afraid I don't really understand your question. As I tried to
                                explain there is not ~/.vim file with any meaning - I'm not sure where
                                you've got that idea from.

                                For personalised configuration of MacVim you should use a .vimrc file
                                in your home directory - that is a file /Users/bc/.vimrc
                                This is what people on the list refer to as ~/.vimrc since in UNIX ~/
                                means /Users/bc/

                                Robin

                              • Robin
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 4 6:17 AM
                                  On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Robin <robince@...> wrote:
                                  > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM, clarkbai <clarkbai@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Thanks, I solve the first problem about copying mvim in proper
                                  >> directory.
                                  >>
                                  >> The second is :copy sth into ~/.vim , is this path for home or macvim
                                  >> package,
                                  >> if for home, where is it, should I create myself.
                                  >
                                  > I'm afraid I don't really understand your question. As I tried to
                                  > explain there is not ~/.vim file with any meaning - I'm not sure where
                                  > you've got that idea from.

                                  Sorry - looked through again... ~/.vim or /Users/bc/.vim is a
                                  directory containing macvim configuration and plugin files. You
                                  probably won't need to touch this. The everyday configuration should
                                  go in the /Users/bc/.vimrc file..

                                • clarkbai
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 4 6:21 AM
                                    I mean in http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download
                                    for the step 1, is it copy the file to ~/vim?
                                    where is it? is that the one in package?

                                    Best wishes.

                                    Bai

                                    On Aug 4, 2:17 pm, Robin <robi...@...> wrote:
                                    > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Robin <robi...@...> wrote:
                                    > > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM, clarkbai <clark...@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > >> Thanks, I solve the first problem about copying mvim in proper
                                    > >> directory.
                                    >
                                    > >> The second is :copy sth into ~/.vim , is this path for home or macvim
                                    > >> package,
                                    > >> if for home, where is it, should I create myself.
                                    >
                                    > > I'm afraid I don't really understand your question. As I tried to
                                    > > explain there is not ~/.vim file with any meaning - I'm not sure where
                                    > > you've got that idea from.
                                    >
                                    > Sorry - looked through again... ~/.vim or /Users/bc/.vim is a
                                    > directory containing macvim configuration and plugin files. You
                                    > probably won't need to touch this. The everyday configuration should
                                    > go in the /Users/bc/.vimrc file..
                                  • Robin
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 4 6:38 AM
                                      Ah sorry again -
                                      no it isn't in the package. If you don't have a directory called .vim
                                      in your home folder you will need to create it.
                                      So make a directory /Users/bc/.vim and extract there...

                                      Try the following commands (don't type anything following the # - they
                                      are just comments)

                                      cd # this returns you to the home directory
                                      mkdir .vim # this creates the .vim directory
                                      tar -xvzf Desktop/latexSuite20060325.tar.gz -C ~/.vim

                                      the last line assumes the archive is on the desktop - if not you will
                                      need to put the path to it. The -C ~/.vim tells it to extract to the
                                      .vim directory you just created.

                                      Sorry for the confusion - I thought it was just the .vimrc you were
                                      having problems with.

                                      Robin

                                      On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:21 PM, clarkbai <clarkbai@...> wrote:

                                      > I mean in http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download
                                      > for the step 1, is it copy the file to ~/vim?
                                      > where is it? is that the one in package?
                                      >
                                      > Best wishes.
                                      >
                                      > Bai
                                      >
                                      > On Aug 4, 2:17 pm, Robin <robi...@...> wrote:

                                      >> > I'm afraid I don't really understand your question. As I tried to
                                      >> > explain there is not ~/.vim file with any meaning - I'm not sure where
                                      >> > you've got that idea from.
                                      >>
                                      >> Sorry - looked through again... ~/.vim or /Users/bc/.vim is a
                                      >> directory containing macvim configuration and plugin files. You
                                      >> probably won't need to touch this. The everyday configuration should
                                      >> go in the /Users/bc/.vimrc file..

                                    • Ben Schmidt
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 4 6:43 AM
                                        > The second is :copy sth into ~/.vim , is this path for home or macvim
                                        > package,
                                        > if for home, where is it, should I create myself.

                                        Home.

                                        ~ always means home directory.

                                        So always ~ = Users/bp for you when you are logged in as bp.

                                        ~/.vim = .vim directory inside home directory.

                                        Yes, you need to create it yourself.

                                        After you copy vim-latex inside it, you should have folders with names
                                        like plugin, ftplugin and doc inside ~/.vim.

                                        Ben.

                                      • Nico Weber
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 4 6:44 AM

                                          On 04.08.2008, at 13:48, clarkbai wrote:

                                          > That is the echo for $PATH:
                                          >
                                          > dyn1212-200:~ bp$ echo $PATH
                                          > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/usr/bin:/
                                          > bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin
                                          >
                                          > seems including the correct path. But for mvim- -!
                                          >
                                          > Any idea?

                                          Ok, so do

                                          cp ~/Downloads/MacVim/mvim /usr/local/bin

                                          and you should be set (you need to adapt the first path to where you
                                          unzipped the MacVim package).

                                          Nico

                                        • clarkbai
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 4 7:42 AM
                                            When I try to open a .tex file, it shows a attention window:

                                            'Swap file' "xxxxxxx" already exists.

                                            even when I open ~\.vimrc.

                                            Anyone can tell me why.

                                            Thank you,guys -very much!!!

                                            Bai

                                            On Aug 4, 2:44 pm, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
                                            > Hi,
                                            >
                                            > On 04.08.2008, at 13:48, clarkbai wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > That is the echo for $PATH:
                                            >
                                            > > dyn1212-200:~ bp$ echo $PATH
                                            > > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/usr/bin:/
                                            > > bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin
                                            >
                                            > > seems including the correct path. But for mvim- -!
                                            >
                                            > > Any idea?
                                            >
                                            > Ok, so do
                                            >
                                            >      cp ~/Downloads/MacVim/mvim /usr/local/bin
                                            >
                                            > and you should be set (you need to adapt the first path to where you
                                            > unzipped the MacVim package).
                                            >
                                            > Nico
                                          • Nico Weber
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 4 10:28 AM

                                              On 04.08.2008, at 14:41, clarkbai wrote:

                                              > So, the path '~/vim' still means the one in macvim package?
                                              > or others?
                                              > I create a '~/bin' file in my homedirectory and copy mvim into it.

                                              No, ~ is unix-speak for your home directory. In your case, ~ means /
                                              Users/bc (and terminal.app automatically replaces ~ with your home
                                              directory). So ~/.vim means the directory called ".vim" in your home
                                              directory. You can create it in the terminal with

                                              mkdir ~/.vim

                                              Then, in Finder, you can hit ⌘⇧G, followed by ~/.vim to see the new
                                              directory in the Finder (the Finder hides files whose names start with
                                              a dot by default).

                                              > but---dyn1212-200:~ bp$ mvim ~/.vimrc
                                              > -bash: mvim: command not found

                                              As I said, you need to copy mvim to /usr/local/bin or to /usr/bin (/
                                              usr is by default hidden in Finder too -- if you want to copy mvim
                                              with the Finder, you need to hit ⌘⇧G as well and then enter /usr).

                                              Nico
                                            • Nico Weber
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 4 1:10 PM

                                                On 04.08.2008, at 16:42, clarkbai wrote:

                                                > When I try to open a .tex file, it shows a attention window:
                                                >
                                                > 'Swap file' "xxxxxxx" already exists.
                                                >
                                                > even when I open ~\.vimrc.
                                                >
                                                > Anyone can tell me why.

                                                this is usually because the file is already open in another vim window.

                                                If the dialog shows a "Delete it" option, simply click that.

                                                Otherwise, another vim instance (possibly another MacVim window) still
                                                has that file opened. You can open Activity Monitor and search for
                                                processes called "vim". There will be one for each MacVim window (and
                                                more, if you have some vims running in a terminal). Close all MacVim
                                                windows and then re-open the file. Now, the dialog should be gone (or
                                                at least offer a "Delete it" option for the swap file).

                                                HTH,
                                                Nico

                                              • clarkbai
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 4 3:19 PM