Updated Quickstart

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
      Hi,

      I have pushed some patches to the Quickstart code in an effort to make
      this feature more transparent and to fix some bugs.

      1. Bug where windows never open, but on Cmd-q MacVim says they're
      there should be fixed
      2. Changes to .vimrc/.gvimrc are detected and clears the cached
      processes to ensure latest rc-files are used
      3. Added an "Advanced" prefs pane to control the cache size
      4. Removed the "Force New Window" menu item

      My thoughts on this: I think "most" users will have .vimrc/.gvimrc
      files that do not source external files (changes to such are not
      detected). Such users could happily have Quickstart enabled without
      any worries...until they start installing plugins inside ~/.vim. When
      this happens (should not be too often) they may have to "clear the
      cache" by going into the "Advanced" prefs pane and disabling, then
      re-enabling the Quickstart feature. At the moment I think this is
      cause enough to keep the Quickstart feature disabled by default, but
      at least now it is easy to enable it.

      Also, the "Advanced" pane feels a bit like overkill at the moment (see
      attached screenshot); a checkbox to enable/disable Quickstart may be
      sufficient for the future. (?)

      I ask anybody brave enough to pull the latest source code and test it
      out to let me know what they think.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
        2008/8/3 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>:

        > I have pushed some patches to the Quickstart code in an effort to make
        > this feature more transparent and to fix some bugs.
        >
        > 2. Changes to .vimrc/.gvimrc are detected and clears the cached
        > processes to ensure latest rc-files are used

        I just noticed that the detection fails if you: quit MacVim, mv
        .gvimrc mygvimrc, start MacVim and wait to let it cache some
        processes, mv mygvimrc .gvimrc, then Cmd-n. I know how to fix this
        though.

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2008
          > 2. Changes to .vimrc/.gvimrc are detected and clears the cached
          > processes to ensure latest rc-files are used
          > 3. Added an "Advanced" prefs pane to control the cache size
          > 4. Removed the "Force New Window" menu item
          >
          > My thoughts on this: I think "most" users will have .vimrc/.gvimrc
          > files that do not source external files (changes to such are not
          > detected). Such users could happily have Quickstart enabled without
          > any worries...until they start installing plugins inside ~/.vim. When
          > this happens (should not be too often) they may have to "clear the
          > cache" by going into the "Advanced" prefs pane and disabling, then
          > re-enabling the Quickstart feature. At the moment I think this is
          > cause enough to keep the Quickstart feature disabled by default, but
          > at least now it is easy to enable it.

          I don't think installing plugins, and particularly altering
          scripts/after-scripts for syntax/etc. is much less common than altering
          .vimrc. For me, it's much more common, as I am often downloading new
          plugins to try from vim.org, or putting stuff in there that vim_use are
          working on to test them, but so I can easily remove them. I'm often
          tweaking syntax files to recognise additional keywords, etc. for certain
          filetypes, so ~/.vim/after/syntax changes a lot. And for that matter, my
          .vimrc is a single line: source ~/.vim/vimrc.vim and I think there are
          quite a number of users who have a similar approach.

          To my mind, having it work for ~/.[g]vimrc but not files sourced by
          them, or in runtimepath, is worse than not having it work at all,
          because if you can see that it works a little bit, you will assume it
          works fully and get yourself in hot water when it doesn't.

          > Also, the "Advanced" pane feels a bit like overkill at the moment (see
          > attached screenshot); a checkbox to enable/disable Quickstart may be
          > sufficient for the future. (?)

          I agree. A checkbox would be enough. If it can be made properly
          transparent, all the explanation/warnings are not needed, and, honestly,
          unless you're testing how fast windows open, how often do you actually
          need to start more than one Vim at a time?

          > I ask anybody brave enough to pull the latest source code and test it
          > out to let me know what they think.

          I will! I am almost at a convenient point in a project to close MacVim,
          too, at which point I'll have a good play with it!

          Ben.

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
            >> My thoughts on this: I think "most" users will have .vimrc/.gvimrc
            >> files that do not source external files (changes to such are not
            >> detected). Such users could happily have Quickstart enabled without
            >> any worries...until they start installing plugins inside ~/.vim.
            >> When
            >> this happens (should not be too often) they may have to "clear the
            >> cache" by going into the "Advanced" prefs pane and disabling, then
            >> re-enabling the Quickstart feature. At the moment I think this is
            >> cause enough to keep the Quickstart feature disabled by default, but
            >> at least now it is easy to enable it.
            >
            > I don't think installing plugins, and particularly altering
            > scripts/after-scripts for syntax/etc. is much less common than
            > altering
            > .vimrc. For me, it's much more common, as I am often downloading new
            > plugins to try from vim.org, or putting stuff in there that vim_use
            > are
            > working on to test them, but so I can easily remove them. I'm often
            > tweaking syntax files to recognise additional keywords, etc. for
            > certain
            > filetypes, so ~/.vim/after/syntax changes a lot. And for that
            > matter, my
            > .vimrc is a single line: source ~/.vim/vimrc.vim and I think there are
            > quite a number of users who have a similar approach.

            FWIW, I install and deinstall lots of stuff in ~/.vim too (the
            GetLatestScript plugin does that as well).

            Nico

          • dv1445@wayne.edu
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
              Thus spake björn [08/03/08 @ 21.52.24 +0200]:
              > I have pushed some patches to the Quickstart code in an effort to make
              > this feature more transparent and to fix some bugs.
              >
              > 1. Bug where windows never open, but on Cmd-q MacVim says they're
              > there should be fixed
              > 2. Changes to .vimrc/.gvimrc are detected and clears the cached
              > processes to ensure latest rc-files are used
              > 3. Added an "Advanced" prefs pane to control the cache size
              > 4. Removed the "Force New Window" menu item
              >
              > My thoughts on this: I think "most" users will have .vimrc/.gvimrc
              > files that do not source external files (changes to such are not
              > detected). Such users could happily have Quickstart enabled without
              > any worries...until they start installing plugins inside ~/.vim. When
              > this happens (should not be too often) they may have to "clear the
              > cache" by going into the "Advanced" prefs pane and disabling, then
              > re-enabling the Quickstart feature. At the moment I think this is
              > cause enough to keep the Quickstart feature disabled by default, but
              > at least now it is easy to enable it.
              >
              > Also, the "Advanced" pane feels a bit like overkill at the moment (see
              > attached screenshot); a checkbox to enable/disable Quickstart may be
              > sufficient for the future. (?)
              >
              > I ask anybody brave enough to pull the latest source code and test it
              > out to let me know what they think.

              OK, I've tried this and the two patches that came before it. Here's a brief report on each, from earliest to latest:

              1. First patch: worked mostly fine. I didn't have any failed opens, but there were some *really* delayed ones. Maybe double the pre-quickstart lag, which in my case makes between 3 and 4 seconds.

              2. Second patch (autosensing of changes to *vimrc): this worked fine too. I noticed that after changing a .vimrc, there was no noticeable quickstart (presumably because MacVim was busy looking for a change, finding it, and destroying/rebuilding the cache). Even with that, it's still a big improvement over unquickstartenabled MacVim because of quickstarts when I'm *not* changing a *vimrc.

              3. Download of latest update to repo. Works great. I don't mind the slider in the prefs. Only comment is that the number of Vim instances *actually* cached doesn't always correspond to what I set in the prefs. Yes, I know I'm supposed to quit MacVim first after changing the slider. E.g., only sometimes when I have the slider set to 6 will there be 6 cached instances. I can see no rhyme or reason to this yet, but will keep looking to see if there's a pattern in what I'm doing.
              -gmn

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
                2008/8/4 <dv1445@...>:

                > Thus spake björn [08/03/08 @ 21.52.24 +0200]:
                >> I have pushed some patches to the Quickstart code in an effort to make
                >> this feature more transparent and to fix some bugs.
                >>
                >> 1. Bug where windows never open, but on Cmd-q MacVim says they're
                >> there should be fixed
                >> 2. Changes to .vimrc/.gvimrc are detected and clears the cached
                >> processes to ensure latest rc-files are used
                >> 3. Added an "Advanced" prefs pane to control the cache size
                >> 4. Removed the "Force New Window" menu item
                >>
                >> My thoughts on this: I think "most" users will have .vimrc/.gvimrc
                >> files that do not source external files (changes to such are not
                >> detected). Such users could happily have Quickstart enabled without
                >> any worries...until they start installing plugins inside ~/.vim. When
                >> this happens (should not be too often) they may have to "clear the
                >> cache" by going into the "Advanced" prefs pane and disabling, then
                >> re-enabling the Quickstart feature. At the moment I think this is
                >> cause enough to keep the Quickstart feature disabled by default, but
                >> at least now it is easy to enable it.
                >>
                >> Also, the "Advanced" pane feels a bit like overkill at the moment (see
                >> attached screenshot); a checkbox to enable/disable Quickstart may be
                >> sufficient for the future. (?)
                >>
                >> I ask anybody brave enough to pull the latest source code and test it
                >> out to let me know what they think.
                >
                > OK, I've tried this and the two patches that came before it. Here's a brief report on each, from earliest to latest:
                >
                > 1. First patch: worked mostly fine. I didn't have any failed opens, but there were some *really* delayed ones. Maybe double the pre-quickstart lag, which in my case makes between 3 and 4 seconds.

                Can you figure out any way to reproduce this?

                > 2. Second patch (autosensing of changes to *vimrc): this worked fine too. I noticed that after changing a .vimrc, there was no noticeable quickstart (presumably because MacVim was busy looking for a change, finding it, and destroying/rebuilding the cache). Even with that, it's still a big improvement over unquickstartenabled MacVim because of quickstarts when I'm *not* changing a *vimrc.

                Yes, if you modify [g]vimrc the next window opened will not be cached
                and hence take the usual (non-quickstart) time to open (regardless of
                the time between modifying [g]vimrc and opening a new window).

                > 3. Download of latest update to repo. Works great. I don't mind the slider in the prefs. Only comment is that the number of Vim instances *actually* cached doesn't always correspond to what I set in the prefs. Yes, I know I'm supposed to quit MacVim first after changing the slider. E.g., only sometimes when I have the slider set to 6 will there be 6 cached instances. I can see no rhyme or reason to this yet, but will keep looking to see if there's a pattern in what I'm doing.

                The number only reflects the maximum number of processes that may be
                in the cache at any given time. Only one processes is loaded at a
                time so it will take several seconds before 6 processes are loaded
                into the cache. This is how it is supposed to be. Setting this
                number to be > 1 (or 2 maybe) is really only useful if you use the
                "open in new window with a window for each file" pref for opening new
                files.

                Thanks for trying the patches out,