Multiple windows?

  • Riccardo Ghiglianovich
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2003
      Hi all,

      I am new on Vim for OSX ( I am NOT new fro vim on Linux ;)
      I discovered this version of vim few days ago and I am very happy for
      it !!

      I'd like to know: is it possible to open some files in some windows?
      I mean, to use a window for each file, instead of using buffers.

      Thanks, Ciao!!
      RIccardo

      --
      /* No Comment */
      iChat: ghiglianovichr
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2003
        Riccardo Ghiglianovich wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am new on Vim for OSX ( I am NOT new fro vim on Linux ;)
        > I discovered this version of vim few days ago and I am very happy for it !!
        >
        > I'd like to know: is it possible to open some files in some windows?
        > I mean, to use a window for each file, instead of using buffers.
        >
        > Thanks, Ciao!!
        > RIccardo

        I do not think you can do this starting Vim from the Finder, nor
        with the open command, but it works for me if I start it from
        Terminal.app using the explicit path to the executable. See the FAQ:

        http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#FAQ

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Jay Lawrence
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2003
          > I'd like to know: is it possible to open some files in some windows?
          > I mean, to use a window for each file, instead of using buffers.

          What I do is start multiple instances of Vim from the command line:

          /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g foo.pm bar.pm stuff.pm
          &
          /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g index.html header.html
          &

          My *ONLY* beef about doing this is that the dock items for Vim do not
          have a specific label set for them. So you have to remember which one
          to cmd-Tab to. I'd like to see the option to set the Dock label to
          something other than "Vim" (ie - active file being edited). I checked
          the Carbon and Cocoa docs and did not see any calls to make this
          happen. Seems to be set to the Application's name. Perhaps setting that?

          Anyway, in fact, I have the following in my .tcshrc

          alias vim /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g
          alias pvim 'pushd \!*; vim `cat MANIFEST` &; popd'

          The pvim alias is cool for Perl programmer who work on modules ... as
          it will open an instance of Vim with all your files opened ... in the
          order they are listed in MANIFEST. :) I put my favorite files at the
          top making them easy to switch via :b1 :b2 :b3, etc.

          So, I use multiple instances of Vim running, buffers and split windows
          in vim ... all spanned across my main monitor and my laptop's built-in
          monitor. Coolness! Thanks for Vim on OS X, guys!

          Cheers,
          Jay