Installing xmledit

  • Bill K.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
      Hi, I'm a long time vi user (29 years!), but I'm relatively new to
      MacVim.

      I'm using MacVim to author in DocBook XML, so I'm interested in
      installing the xmledit plugin. But I'm having trouble getting this
      plugin working. Can anyone help me?

      I created ~/.vim/ftdetect/mine.vim, and added a rule for the XML
      files, which in my case have an extension ".pml".

      au BufRead,BufNewFile *.pml set filetype=xml

      This seems to be working, because when I open a .pml file, "set
      filetype" reports "xml" which is correct.

      Then I created ~/.vim/ftplugin/xml.vim containing the following
      commands:

      set ai
      set sw=2

      But when I open a .pml file, these settings are obviously not in
      effect. Why aren't files in my home ftplugin directory being loaded?

      I'd be grateful for any help.

      Regards,
      Bill Karwin

    • Bill K.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
        On Aug 1, 6:32 am, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schm...@...> wrote:
        > > Why aren't files in my home ftplugin directory being loaded?
        >
        > does it say plugin:ON?

        Okay, I think that was the problem. I had checked this before, and it
        did say ON, but I guess it was activating it after it had a chance to
        scan my local directory. Anyway, after I put "filetype plugin on" in
        my ~/.vimrc, it's working.

        Now I have the key mappings from xmledit. For example, "\%" can be
        used to jump to a matching XML tag, and when I close an XML tag, it
        auto-completes, inserting the closing tag. Woo hoo!

        Many thanks for the troubleshooting help.

        Regards,
        Bill Karwin