Re: new vim binary for OS X (Jaguar)

  • Rain Dog
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 10 9:27 PM
      On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > There is only one minor problem I notice. It is not directly
      > related to this patch: it happens any time I start vim from the
      > command line, which I never do without this patch. (Actually, it is
      > not a problem when I start Vim from the command line with "open -a
      > Vim" .) I get and "Error 254: cannot allocate color grey90" when I
      > try
      >
      > :hi Normal guibg=grey90
      >
      > Any idea how to fix this? If not, I may modify the gvimrc_example.vim
      > that I distribute, but I would rather not.

      Looks like your $VIMRUNTIME isn't getting set correctly. Vim looks up
      colors
      in the file $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt, which should be
      /Applications/vim/vim61/rgb.txt.

      Peter
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 11 8:21 AM
        Rain Dog wrote:
        > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
        >
        >> There is only one minor problem I notice. It is not directly
        >> related to this patch: it happens any time I start vim from the
        >> command line, which I never do without this patch. (Actually, it is
        >> not a problem when I start Vim from the command line with "open -a
        >> Vim" .) I get and "Error 254: cannot allocate color grey90" when I try
        >>
        >> :hi Normal guibg=grey90
        >>
        >> Any idea how to fix this? If not, I may modify the gvimrc_example.vim
        >> that I distribute, but I would rather not.
        >

        > Looks like your $VIMRUNTIME isn't getting set correctly. Vim looks up
        > colors
        > in the file $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt, which should be
        > /Applications/vim/vim61/rgb.txt.

        Good call. I was setting $VIM from my .cshrc . I removed that
        line, and it works fine now. Thanks.

        --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 11 8:31 AM
          Rain Dog wrote:
          > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          >> This is great news! This has been at the top of my bug list for as
          >> long as I have had
          >> a bug list! <hint> http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs </hint>
          >

          > Note that the patch doesn't address the problem of Vim not forking
          > when it is launched from the command line--that is, Vim launched as
          > "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g" behaves like
          > "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -fg".

          Maybe I do not understand the problem correctly. In :help
          gui-fork, it says something about running vim in the foreground; maybe I
          read too much into this. It does seem that -gf and -g give the same
          results. Perhaps the question of focus is not related to forking, as I
          thought it was.

          If I run vim in the background, with

          % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &

          then the Terminal is ready for new commands, and Vim comes into focus,
          which is what I usually want. If I do not run it in the background,

          % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g

          then the terminal waits for Vim to finish. Is this different from not
          forking? More to the point: is there a problem? For example, I have
          not tried calling Vim from a mail program or anything that expects Vim
          to finish before doing more work.

          --Benji Fisher
        • The Shrubber
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 11 10:37 AM

            I just wanted to note that this still has the problem that hitting
            Ctrl-C while running a shell script causes all processes to die,
            and for me to return to the Mac OS X login screen.

            If i run Vim from the command line, it behaves propertly, so my
            workaround is to write an alias, and never launch Vim from the dock or
            by double-clicking the icon, but this is not ideal.

            Cheers,

            (-S-)

            On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:26:04 -0500, Benji Fisher benji-at-member.AMS.org |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
            > Vim Mac users:
            >
            > I have just uploaded a nre version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at
            >
            > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX
          • Gregory Seidman
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 11 12:37 PM
              Benji Fisher sez:
              [...]
              }
              } Maybe I do not understand the problem correctly. In :help
              } gui-fork, it says something about running vim in the foreground; maybe I
              } read too much into this. It does seem that -gf and -g give the same
              } results. Perhaps the question of focus is not related to forking, as I
              } thought it was.

              The problem is that they give the same results. They shouldn't. By
              default, GUI vim should background itself (i.e. fork), but the -f flag
              suppresses that behavior.

              } If I run vim in the background, with
              }
              } % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &
              }
              } then the Terminal is ready for new commands, and Vim comes into focus,
              } which is what I usually want. If I do not run it in the background,

              But you shouldn't need the &, it should Just Do It. This is the expected
              behavior withou the -f flag.

              } % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g
              }
              } then the terminal waits for Vim to finish. Is this different from not
              } forking? More to the point: is there a problem? For example, I have
              } not tried calling Vim from a mail program or anything that expects Vim
              } to finish before doing more work.

              This is exactly not forking. This is the expected behavior with the -f
              flag.

              } --Benji Fisher
              --Greg
            • Jason Alexander
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12 4:03 AM
                In the new binary, if I set the font to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt,
                the display looks rather different from my terminal window, which also
                has the font set to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt. The fonts in the
                terminal window are less ugly and a bit thicker, making them easier to
                read. What accounts for the difference in the two displays, and is it
                possible to get the displayed fonts in vim to match the appearance of
                those same fonts in the Terminal?

                Thanks,

                Jason

                --
                J. McKenzie Alexander
                Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 14 7:36 AM
                  Jason Alexander wrote:
                  > In the new binary, if I set the font to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt, the
                  > display looks rather different from my terminal window, which also has
                  > the font set to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt. The fonts in the terminal
                  > window are less ugly and a bit thicker, making them easier to read.
                  > What accounts for the difference in the two displays, and is it possible
                  > to get the displayed fonts in vim to match the appearance of those same
                  > fonts in the Terminal?

                  This is probably because Vim uses the older Quicktime rendering
                  instead of Quartz. Peter Cucka is working on enabling Quartz in Vim.

                  --Benji Fisher