Re: new binary for Vim (Carbon for OS X)

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10 12:54 PM
      Benji Fisher sez:
      } Vim Mac users:
      } I have just uploaded a new version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at
      } http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX

      I know you asked if anyone cared about 10.1 earlier, and I don't remember
      if I replied. In any case, I'd like to see a 10.1 version, if possible. I
      haven't bothered upgrading yet.

      [...]
      } Finally, can anyone volunteer to write a shell script (preferably
      } tcsh, since that is Apple's default) to make aliases for vim, gvim, view,
      } ... I would like to include such a script with the distribution for OSX,
      } so that users can copy it into or source it from their cshrc files.

      How about just putting symlinks in the Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin
      directory, and give a scrap of code to add that to the user's path:

      # for csh/tcsh
      set path = ( /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin $path)

      # for sh/bash/zsh
      PATH=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:$PATH
      export PATH

      } Happy vimming!
      } --Benji Fisher
      --Greg
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11 8:50 AM
        Gregory Seidman wrote:
        > Benji Fisher sez:
        > } Vim Mac users:
        > } I have just uploaded a new version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at
        > } http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX
        >
        > I know you asked if anyone cared about 10.1 earlier, and I don't remember
        > if I replied. In any case, I'd like to see a 10.1 version, if possible. I
        > haven't bothered upgrading yet.

        OK, I will try to do it sooner rather than later. Maybe this week.

        > How about just putting symlinks in the Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin
        > directory, and give a scrap of code to add that to the user's path:
        >
        > # for csh/tcsh
        > set path = ( /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin $path)
        >
        > # for sh/bash/zsh
        > PATH=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:$PATH
        > export PATH

        That is an excellent idea, but it does not seem to work. When I
        make a link (hard or symbolic) from MacOS/Vim to MacOS/gvim or to
        MacOS/bin/gvim and then start it from this link, it refuses to come into
        focus, even when I click on it. Any ideas on what is going on?

        --Benji Fisher
      • Gregory Seidman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11 12:39 PM
          Benji Fisher sez:
          } Gregory Seidman wrote:
          [...]
          } >I know you asked if anyone cared about 10.1 earlier, and I don't remember
          } >if I replied. In any case, I'd like to see a 10.1 version, if possible. I
          } >haven't bothered upgrading yet.
          }
          } OK, I will try to do it sooner rather than later. Maybe this week.

          Keen!

          } >How about just putting symlinks in the Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin
          } >directory, and give a scrap of code to add that to the user's path:
          } >
          } ># for csh/tcsh
          } >set path = ( /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin $path)
          } >
          } ># for sh/bash/zsh
          } >PATH=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:$PATH
          } >export PATH
          }
          } That is an excellent idea, but it does not seem to work. When I
          } make a link (hard or symbolic) from MacOS/Vim to MacOS/gvim or to
          } MacOS/bin/gvim and then start it from this link, it refuses to come into
          } focus, even when I click on it. Any ideas on what is going on?

          Crap. That was just off the top of my head, without any testing. I
          didn't actually try it. Hm, and I can't until I have a 10.1-compatible
          app. I'll see what I can see with the older version I have installed.

          } --Benji Fisher
          --Greg