Re: new binary for Vim (Carbon for OS X)

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10 12:54 PM
      Benji Fisher sez:
      } Vim Mac users:
      } I have just uploaded a new version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at
      } http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX

      I know you asked if anyone cared about 10.1 earlier, and I don't remember
      if I replied. In any case, I'd like to see a 10.1 version, if possible. I
      haven't bothered upgrading yet.

      [...]
      } Finally, can anyone volunteer to write a shell script (preferably
      } tcsh, since that is Apple's default) to make aliases for vim, gvim, view,
      } ... I would like to include such a script with the distribution for OSX,
      } so that users can copy it into or source it from their cshrc files.

      How about just putting symlinks in the Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin
      directory, and give a scrap of code to add that to the user's path:

      # for csh/tcsh
      set path = ( /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin $path)

      # for sh/bash/zsh
      PATH=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:$PATH
      export PATH

      } Happy vimming!
      } --Benji Fisher
      --Greg
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10 12:56 PM
        Vim Mac users:

        I have just uploaded a new version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at

        http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX

        This version includes all the latest official patches and the latest
        patches from Peter Cucka. In particular, you can now start vim from the
        command line:

        % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g +17 foo.txt &

        The -g flag starts the GUI version, and with this patch, it will come
        into focus. The +17 starts at line 17, and of course you can pass other
        options. This should be useful for starting vim from other applications.

        I have also added a "Preferences..." item to the Edit menu.
        Please let me know what you think of this. I have two questions myself:

        1. Is there any way to add items to the Vim menu?
        2. When my Preferences() function pops up a dialogue box, the default
        response is not highlighted. Do others see this? Am I doing something
        wrong?

        Finally, can anyone volunteer to write a shell script (preferably
        tcsh, since that is Apple's default) to make aliases for vim, gvim,
        view, ... I would like to include such a script with the distribution
        for OSX, so that users can copy it into or source it from their cshrc files.

        TODO: Update the FAQ and Bugs list on the web site!

        Happy vimming!

        --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11 8:50 AM
          Gregory Seidman wrote:
          > Benji Fisher sez:
          > } Vim Mac users:
          > } I have just uploaded a new version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at
          > } http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX
          >
          > I know you asked if anyone cared about 10.1 earlier, and I don't remember
          > if I replied. In any case, I'd like to see a 10.1 version, if possible. I
          > haven't bothered upgrading yet.

          OK, I will try to do it sooner rather than later. Maybe this week.

          > How about just putting symlinks in the Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin
          > directory, and give a scrap of code to add that to the user's path:
          >
          > # for csh/tcsh
          > set path = ( /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin $path)
          >
          > # for sh/bash/zsh
          > PATH=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:$PATH
          > export PATH

          That is an excellent idea, but it does not seem to work. When I
          make a link (hard or symbolic) from MacOS/Vim to MacOS/gvim or to
          MacOS/bin/gvim and then start it from this link, it refuses to come into
          focus, even when I click on it. Any ideas on what is going on?

          --Benji Fisher
        • Gregory Seidman
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11 12:39 PM
            Benji Fisher sez:
            } Gregory Seidman wrote:
            [...]
            } >I know you asked if anyone cared about 10.1 earlier, and I don't remember
            } >if I replied. In any case, I'd like to see a 10.1 version, if possible. I
            } >haven't bothered upgrading yet.
            }
            } OK, I will try to do it sooner rather than later. Maybe this week.

            Keen!

            } >How about just putting symlinks in the Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin
            } >directory, and give a scrap of code to add that to the user's path:
            } >
            } ># for csh/tcsh
            } >set path = ( /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin $path)
            } >
            } ># for sh/bash/zsh
            } >PATH=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/bin:$PATH
            } >export PATH
            }
            } That is an excellent idea, but it does not seem to work. When I
            } make a link (hard or symbolic) from MacOS/Vim to MacOS/gvim or to
            } MacOS/bin/gvim and then start it from this link, it refuses to come into
            } focus, even when I click on it. Any ideas on what is going on?

            Crap. That was just off the top of my head, without any testing. I
            didn't actually try it. Hm, and I can't until I have a 10.1-compatible
            app. I'll see what I can see with the older version I have installed.

            } --Benji Fisher
            --Greg