Re: new vim binary for OS X (Jaguar)

  • Rain Dog
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2003
      On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 10:57 AM, Rain Dog wrote:

      > Jay Lawrence wrote:
      >
      >> If you're routing around on focus code - one other thing that I would
      >> really really appreciate is when Vim starts up can it become the top
      >> window and be focused? As of now it starts at a much lower Z-level
      >> and I have to click to raise and focus.
      >
      > Attached is a patch that should fix this.

      No luck with Mail.app attachments. Here's the patch:

      ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8<
      ----------

      *** src/gui_mac.c Sat Nov 30 12:21:04 2002
      --- src/gui_mac.c Sat Dec 28 18:21:12 2002
      ***************
      *** 2816,2821 ****
      --- 2816,2834 ----

      if (gui_win_x != -1 && gui_win_y != -1)
      gui_mch_set_winpos(gui_win_x, gui_win_y);
      +
      + #ifdef USE_CARBONIZED
      + /*
      + * Make the GUI the foreground process (in case it was launched
      + * from the Terminal or via :gui).
      + */
      + {
      + ProcessSerialNumber psn;
      + if (GetCurrentProcess(&psn) == noErr)
      + SetFrontProcess(&psn);
      + }
      + #endif
      +
      return OK;
      }
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 10, 2003
        Rain Dog wrote:
        > On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 10:57 AM, Rain Dog wrote:
        >
        >> Jay Lawrence wrote:
        >>
        >>> If you're routing around on focus code - one other thing that I would
        >>> really really appreciate is when Vim starts up can it become the top
        >>> window and be focused? As of now it starts at a much lower Z-level
        >>> and I have to click to raise and focus.

        Perhaps I should remind everybody: my ability to code on the Mac
        is limited to "make" and variants. I maintain the binaries and the web
        page at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX but all the credit for improving the
        code goes to others.

        >> Attached is a patch that should fix this.
        [snip]

        This is great news! This has been at the top of my bug list for
        as long as I have had a bug list! <hint>
        http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs </hint>

        With this patch, it is much easier for other programs to
        communicate with vim. For example, a TeX previewer can call Vim with
        +222 to start at line 222 of the source file. I think I am now ready to
        ask Apple to post Vim on http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ .

        There is only one minor problem I notice. It is not directly
        related to this patch: it happens any time I start vim from the command
        line, which I never do without this patch. (Actually, it is not a
        problem when I start Vim from the command line with "open -a Vim" .) I
        get and "Error 254: cannot allocate color grey90" when I try

        :hi Normal guibg=grey90

        Any idea how to fix this? If not, I may modify the gvimrc_example.vim
        that I distribute, but I would rather not.

        --Benji Fisher
      • Rain Dog
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 10, 2003
          On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > Rain Dog wrote:
          >> Jay Lawrence wrote:
          >>
          >>> If you're routing around on focus code - one other thing that I
          >>> would really really
          >>> appreciate is when Vim starts up can it become the top window and be
          >>> focused?
          >>> As of now it starts at a much lower Z-level and I have to click to
          >>> raise and focus.
          >>
          >> Attached is a patch that should fix this.
          >
          > This is great news! This has been at the top of my bug list for as
          > long as I have had
          > a bug list! <hint> http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs </hint>

          Note that the patch doesn't address the problem of Vim not forking
          when it is launched from the command line--that is, Vim launched as
          "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g" behaves like
          "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -fg".

          Peter
        • Rain Dog
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10, 2003
            On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > There is only one minor problem I notice. It is not directly
            > related to this patch: it happens any time I start vim from the
            > command line, which I never do without this patch. (Actually, it is
            > not a problem when I start Vim from the command line with "open -a
            > Vim" .) I get and "Error 254: cannot allocate color grey90" when I
            > try
            >
            > :hi Normal guibg=grey90
            >
            > Any idea how to fix this? If not, I may modify the gvimrc_example.vim
            > that I distribute, but I would rather not.

            Looks like your $VIMRUNTIME isn't getting set correctly. Vim looks up
            colors
            in the file $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt, which should be
            /Applications/vim/vim61/rgb.txt.

            Peter
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 11, 2003
              Rain Dog wrote:
              > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
              >
              >> There is only one minor problem I notice. It is not directly
              >> related to this patch: it happens any time I start vim from the
              >> command line, which I never do without this patch. (Actually, it is
              >> not a problem when I start Vim from the command line with "open -a
              >> Vim" .) I get and "Error 254: cannot allocate color grey90" when I try
              >>
              >> :hi Normal guibg=grey90
              >>
              >> Any idea how to fix this? If not, I may modify the gvimrc_example.vim
              >> that I distribute, but I would rather not.
              >

              > Looks like your $VIMRUNTIME isn't getting set correctly. Vim looks up
              > colors
              > in the file $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt, which should be
              > /Applications/vim/vim61/rgb.txt.

              Good call. I was setting $VIM from my .cshrc . I removed that
              line, and it works fine now. Thanks.

              --Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 11, 2003
                Rain Dog wrote:
                > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
                >
                >> This is great news! This has been at the top of my bug list for as
                >> long as I have had
                >> a bug list! <hint> http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs </hint>
                >

                > Note that the patch doesn't address the problem of Vim not forking
                > when it is launched from the command line--that is, Vim launched as
                > "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g" behaves like
                > "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -fg".

                Maybe I do not understand the problem correctly. In :help
                gui-fork, it says something about running vim in the foreground; maybe I
                read too much into this. It does seem that -gf and -g give the same
                results. Perhaps the question of focus is not related to forking, as I
                thought it was.

                If I run vim in the background, with

                % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &

                then the Terminal is ready for new commands, and Vim comes into focus,
                which is what I usually want. If I do not run it in the background,

                % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g

                then the terminal waits for Vim to finish. Is this different from not
                forking? More to the point: is there a problem? For example, I have
                not tried calling Vim from a mail program or anything that expects Vim
                to finish before doing more work.

                --Benji Fisher
              • The Shrubber
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 11, 2003

                  I just wanted to note that this still has the problem that hitting
                  Ctrl-C while running a shell script causes all processes to die,
                  and for me to return to the Mac OS X login screen.

                  If i run Vim from the command line, it behaves propertly, so my
                  workaround is to write an alias, and never launch Vim from the dock or
                  by double-clicking the icon, but this is not ideal.

                  Cheers,

                  (-S-)

                  On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:26:04 -0500, Benji Fisher benji-at-member.AMS.org |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
                  > Vim Mac users:
                  >
                  > I have just uploaded a nre version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at
                  >
                  > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX
                • Gregory Seidman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 11, 2003
                    Benji Fisher sez:
                    } Rain Dog wrote:
                    [...]
                    } >Note that the patch doesn't address the problem of Vim not forking
                    } >when it is launched from the command line--that is, Vim launched as
                    } >"/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g" behaves like
                    } >"/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -fg".
                    }
                    } Maybe I do not understand the problem correctly. In :help
                    } gui-fork, it says something about running vim in the foreground; maybe I
                    } read too much into this. It does seem that -gf and -g give the same
                    } results. Perhaps the question of focus is not related to forking, as I
                    } thought it was.

                    The problem is that they give the same results. They shouldn't. By
                    default, GUI vim should background itself (i.e. fork), but the -f flag
                    suppresses that behavior.

                    } If I run vim in the background, with
                    }
                    } % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &
                    }
                    } then the Terminal is ready for new commands, and Vim comes into focus,
                    } which is what I usually want. If I do not run it in the background,

                    But you shouldn't need the &, it should Just Do It. This is the expected
                    behavior withou the -f flag.

                    } % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g
                    }
                    } then the terminal waits for Vim to finish. Is this different from not
                    } forking? More to the point: is there a problem? For example, I have
                    } not tried calling Vim from a mail program or anything that expects Vim
                    } to finish before doing more work.

                    This is exactly not forking. This is the expected behavior with the -f
                    flag.

                    } --Benji Fisher
                    --Greg
                  • Jason Alexander
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 12, 2003
                      In the new binary, if I set the font to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt,
                      the display looks rather different from my terminal window, which also
                      has the font set to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt. The fonts in the
                      terminal window are less ugly and a bit thicker, making them easier to
                      read. What accounts for the difference in the two displays, and is it
                      possible to get the displayed fonts in vim to match the appearance of
                      those same fonts in the Terminal?

                      Thanks,

                      Jason

                      --
                      J. McKenzie Alexander
                      Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 14, 2003
                        Jason Alexander wrote:
                        > In the new binary, if I set the font to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt, the
                        > display looks rather different from my terminal window, which also has
                        > the font set to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt. The fonts in the terminal
                        > window are less ugly and a bit thicker, making them easier to read.
                        > What accounts for the difference in the two displays, and is it possible
                        > to get the displayed fonts in vim to match the appearance of those same
                        > fonts in the Terminal?

                        This is probably because Vim uses the older Quicktime rendering
                        instead of Quartz. Peter Cucka is working on enabling Quartz in Vim.

                        --Benji Fisher