Re: quartz.diff

  • Rain Dog
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2003
      On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 05:53 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > Rain Dog wrote:
      >> Attached is a patch to gui_mac.c (current CVS version) that enables
      >> Quartz text antialiasing under OSX 10.2.0 ("Jaguar") and higher.
      >
      > I tried this with OSX 10.2.3 . Two problems:
      >
      > 1. Status messages (such as the More prompt and the Hit ENTER prompt)
      > are not rendered correctly. If you cannot reproduce this, I will give
      > a better description.

      I'm not seeing this. Is it a problem with all boldface text, or just
      status messages?

      > 2. The text looks fuzzy to me. As you say, this is a matter of taste.
      > I tried it with
      >
      > :set gfn=courier:h12
      >
      > What font do you use?

      courier:h12 does seem a bit fuzzy to me. I use monaco:h11, which is
      more legible,
      and actually somewhat larger.

      Peter
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2003
        Rain Dog wrote:

        > I'm not seeing this. Is it a problem with all boldface text, or just
        > status messages?

        Good question. It is all bold face text. It seems to be a font
        problem. With monaco:h11 there is no problem, but with the default font
        or with monaco:h12 or monaco:h10 there is a problem. The bold versions
        of these fonts act as if they are not mono-spaced. (At least, I have
        seen similar problems with Linux gvim using variable-width fonts.) With
        standard syntax highlighting, I looked at a C file (src/version.c) and
        type declarations (static int) are in green bold, and they are messed up.

        > courier:h12 does seem a bit fuzzy to me. I use monaco:h11, which is
        > more legible,
        > and actually somewhat larger.

        OK, monaco looks pretty good, but there is much less difference
        between the two rendering schemes. In fact, I cannot tell them apart.
        Also, I hate the "#" character in this font. YMMV.

        --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2003
          Rain Dog wrote:
          > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:05 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          >> Rain Dog wrote:
          >>
          >>> I'm not seeing this. Is it a problem with all boldface text, or just
          >>> status messages?
          >>

          >> Good question. It is all bold face text. It seems to be a font
          >> problem. With monaco:h11 there is no problem, but with the default
          >> font or with monaco:h12 or monaco:h10 there is a problem. The bold
          >> versions of these fonts act as if they are not mono-spaced.
          >

          > In the General category of System Preferences there's an option to turn
          > off text
          > smoothing for small font sizes. If it isn't already, would you mind to
          > set yours
          > to the lowest value (8) and let me know if you still see problems with
          > Monaco and
          > Courier at the sizes we've been discussing?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Peter

          I still see a problem with monaco:h10 but not with monaco:h12 .
          (Maybe I was mistaken when I said that was a problem.) There is also a
          problem with courier:h10 .

          I had it set to 9 before. When I set it to the largest possible
          value (12) the text looks much less fuzzy. (I see there is also a
          choice for "Font smoothing style." Since I have a PowerBook, maybe I
          should change that. ...)

          HTH --Benji Fisher