Re: new vim binary for OS X (Jaguar)

  • Jay Lawrence
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8 6:17 AM
      > I get the same behavior when I open Vim from the finder. I
      > tested these on the new version and also an older version. It looks
      > to me as if these bugs were already there, so they are not caused by
      > the latest patch. So far, the patch still looks good to me.
      >
      > TODO: update the bugs list on http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX .

      If you're routing around on focus code - one other thing that I would
      really really appreciate is when Vim starts up can it become the top
      window and be focused? As of now it starts at a much lower Z-level and
      I have to click to raise and focus.

      Oooh, and one other thing that would be super helpful is setting the
      application's name while in the dock. Personally I run several
      instances of Vim all the time. I get confused as to which is which. It
      would be excellent to see the same name as in the title bar... This,
      however, does not appear to be a Dock feature....

      So my wishlist to date:

      a - set application to current and raise at app startup
      b - set dock label to filename like in title bar - if Dock can do it
      c - scroll mouse support

      Cheers,
    • Rain Dog
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8 10:57 AM
        Jay Lawrence wrote:

        > - Bottom scroll bar seems broken ( not visible ) but toggling does
        > create / remove the space where it would reside.

        The horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear while line wrapping is enabled.
        Did you try :set nowrap?

        > If you're routing around on focus code - one other thing that I would
        > really really appreciate is when Vim starts up can it become the top
        > window and be focused? As of now it starts at a much lower Z-level and
        > I have to click to raise and focus.

        Attached is a patch that should fix this.

        Peter
      • Rain Dog
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8 11:19 AM
          On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 10:57 AM, Rain Dog wrote:

          > Jay Lawrence wrote:
          >
          >> If you're routing around on focus code - one other thing that I would
          >> really really appreciate is when Vim starts up can it become the top
          >> window and be focused? As of now it starts at a much lower Z-level
          >> and I have to click to raise and focus.
          >
          > Attached is a patch that should fix this.

          No luck with Mail.app attachments. Here's the patch:

          ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8<
          ----------

          *** src/gui_mac.c Sat Nov 30 12:21:04 2002
          --- src/gui_mac.c Sat Dec 28 18:21:12 2002
          ***************
          *** 2816,2821 ****
          --- 2816,2834 ----

          if (gui_win_x != -1 && gui_win_y != -1)
          gui_mch_set_winpos(gui_win_x, gui_win_y);
          +
          + #ifdef USE_CARBONIZED
          + /*
          + * Make the GUI the foreground process (in case it was launched
          + * from the Terminal or via :gui).
          + */
          + {
          + ProcessSerialNumber psn;
          + if (GetCurrentProcess(&psn) == noErr)
          + SetFrontProcess(&psn);
          + }
          + #endif
          +
          return OK;
          }
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 10 7:36 AM
            Rain Dog wrote:
            > On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 10:57 AM, Rain Dog wrote:
            >
            >> Jay Lawrence wrote:
            >>
            >>> If you're routing around on focus code - one other thing that I would
            >>> really really appreciate is when Vim starts up can it become the top
            >>> window and be focused? As of now it starts at a much lower Z-level
            >>> and I have to click to raise and focus.

            Perhaps I should remind everybody: my ability to code on the Mac
            is limited to "make" and variants. I maintain the binaries and the web
            page at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX but all the credit for improving the
            code goes to others.

            >> Attached is a patch that should fix this.
            [snip]

            This is great news! This has been at the top of my bug list for
            as long as I have had a bug list! <hint>
            http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs </hint>

            With this patch, it is much easier for other programs to
            communicate with vim. For example, a TeX previewer can call Vim with
            +222 to start at line 222 of the source file. I think I am now ready to
            ask Apple to post Vim on http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ .

            There is only one minor problem I notice. It is not directly
            related to this patch: it happens any time I start vim from the command
            line, which I never do without this patch. (Actually, it is not a
            problem when I start Vim from the command line with "open -a Vim" .) I
            get and "Error 254: cannot allocate color grey90" when I try

            :hi Normal guibg=grey90

            Any idea how to fix this? If not, I may modify the gvimrc_example.vim
            that I distribute, but I would rather not.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Rain Dog
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10 8:14 PM
              On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
              > Rain Dog wrote:
              >> Jay Lawrence wrote:
              >>
              >>> If you're routing around on focus code - one other thing that I
              >>> would really really
              >>> appreciate is when Vim starts up can it become the top window and be
              >>> focused?
              >>> As of now it starts at a much lower Z-level and I have to click to
              >>> raise and focus.
              >>
              >> Attached is a patch that should fix this.
              >
              > This is great news! This has been at the top of my bug list for as
              > long as I have had
              > a bug list! <hint> http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs </hint>

              Note that the patch doesn't address the problem of Vim not forking
              when it is launched from the command line--that is, Vim launched as
              "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g" behaves like
              "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -fg".

              Peter
            • Rain Dog
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 10 9:27 PM
                On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                > There is only one minor problem I notice. It is not directly
                > related to this patch: it happens any time I start vim from the
                > command line, which I never do without this patch. (Actually, it is
                > not a problem when I start Vim from the command line with "open -a
                > Vim" .) I get and "Error 254: cannot allocate color grey90" when I
                > try
                >
                > :hi Normal guibg=grey90
                >
                > Any idea how to fix this? If not, I may modify the gvimrc_example.vim
                > that I distribute, but I would rather not.

                Looks like your $VIMRUNTIME isn't getting set correctly. Vim looks up
                colors
                in the file $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt, which should be
                /Applications/vim/vim61/rgb.txt.

                Peter
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 11 8:21 AM
                  Rain Dog wrote:
                  > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
                  >
                  >> There is only one minor problem I notice. It is not directly
                  >> related to this patch: it happens any time I start vim from the
                  >> command line, which I never do without this patch. (Actually, it is
                  >> not a problem when I start Vim from the command line with "open -a
                  >> Vim" .) I get and "Error 254: cannot allocate color grey90" when I try
                  >>
                  >> :hi Normal guibg=grey90
                  >>
                  >> Any idea how to fix this? If not, I may modify the gvimrc_example.vim
                  >> that I distribute, but I would rather not.
                  >

                  > Looks like your $VIMRUNTIME isn't getting set correctly. Vim looks up
                  > colors
                  > in the file $VIMRUNTIME/rgb.txt, which should be
                  > /Applications/vim/vim61/rgb.txt.

                  Good call. I was setting $VIM from my .cshrc . I removed that
                  line, and it works fine now. Thanks.

                  --Benji Fisher
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 11 8:31 AM
                    Rain Dog wrote:
                    > On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 07:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
                    >
                    >> This is great news! This has been at the top of my bug list for as
                    >> long as I have had
                    >> a bug list! <hint> http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs </hint>
                    >

                    > Note that the patch doesn't address the problem of Vim not forking
                    > when it is launched from the command line--that is, Vim launched as
                    > "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g" behaves like
                    > "/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -fg".

                    Maybe I do not understand the problem correctly. In :help
                    gui-fork, it says something about running vim in the foreground; maybe I
                    read too much into this. It does seem that -gf and -g give the same
                    results. Perhaps the question of focus is not related to forking, as I
                    thought it was.

                    If I run vim in the background, with

                    % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &

                    then the Terminal is ready for new commands, and Vim comes into focus,
                    which is what I usually want. If I do not run it in the background,

                    % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g

                    then the terminal waits for Vim to finish. Is this different from not
                    forking? More to the point: is there a problem? For example, I have
                    not tried calling Vim from a mail program or anything that expects Vim
                    to finish before doing more work.

                    --Benji Fisher
                  • The Shrubber
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 11 10:37 AM

                      I just wanted to note that this still has the problem that hitting
                      Ctrl-C while running a shell script causes all processes to die,
                      and for me to return to the Mac OS X login screen.

                      If i run Vim from the command line, it behaves propertly, so my
                      workaround is to write an alias, and never launch Vim from the dock or
                      by double-clicking the icon, but this is not ideal.

                      Cheers,

                      (-S-)

                      On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:26:04 -0500, Benji Fisher benji-at-member.AMS.org |vim-mac@.../1.0-Allow| wrote:
                      > Vim Mac users:
                      >
                      > I have just uploaded a nre version of vim for OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) at
                      >
                      > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX
                    • Gregory Seidman
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 11 12:37 PM
                        Benji Fisher sez:
                        } Rain Dog wrote:
                        [...]
                        } >Note that the patch doesn't address the problem of Vim not forking
                        } >when it is launched from the command line--that is, Vim launched as
                        } >"/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g" behaves like
                        } >"/Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -fg".
                        }
                        } Maybe I do not understand the problem correctly. In :help
                        } gui-fork, it says something about running vim in the foreground; maybe I
                        } read too much into this. It does seem that -gf and -g give the same
                        } results. Perhaps the question of focus is not related to forking, as I
                        } thought it was.

                        The problem is that they give the same results. They shouldn't. By
                        default, GUI vim should background itself (i.e. fork), but the -f flag
                        suppresses that behavior.

                        } If I run vim in the background, with
                        }
                        } % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &
                        }
                        } then the Terminal is ready for new commands, and Vim comes into focus,
                        } which is what I usually want. If I do not run it in the background,

                        But you shouldn't need the &, it should Just Do It. This is the expected
                        behavior withou the -f flag.

                        } % /Applications/vim/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g
                        }
                        } then the terminal waits for Vim to finish. Is this different from not
                        } forking? More to the point: is there a problem? For example, I have
                        } not tried calling Vim from a mail program or anything that expects Vim
                        } to finish before doing more work.

                        This is exactly not forking. This is the expected behavior with the -f
                        flag.

                        } --Benji Fisher
                        --Greg
                      • Jason Alexander
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 12 4:03 AM
                          In the new binary, if I set the font to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt,
                          the display looks rather different from my terminal window, which also
                          has the font set to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt. The fonts in the
                          terminal window are less ugly and a bit thicker, making them easier to
                          read. What accounts for the difference in the two displays, and is it
                          possible to get the displayed fonts in vim to match the appearance of
                          those same fonts in the Terminal?

                          Thanks,

                          Jason

                          --
                          J. McKenzie Alexander
                          Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 14 7:36 AM
                            Jason Alexander wrote:
                            > In the new binary, if I set the font to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt, the
                            > display looks rather different from my terminal window, which also has
                            > the font set to be Monaco (regular) at 12pt. The fonts in the terminal
                            > window are less ugly and a bit thicker, making them easier to read.
                            > What accounts for the difference in the two displays, and is it possible
                            > to get the displayed fonts in vim to match the appearance of those same
                            > fonts in the Terminal?

                            This is probably because Vim uses the older Quicktime rendering
                            instead of Quartz. Peter Cucka is working on enabling Quartz in Vim.

                            --Benji Fisher