Re: No CTRL_^ with german keyboard on 10.2.3

  • Markus Fischer
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
      Am Donnerstag, 06.02.03 um 11:15 Uhr schrieb Dirk Zimmermann:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am using vim 6.1.320 with MacOSX 10.2.3 and german keyboard. Since I
      > changed to Jaguar I cannot use CTRL-^ to switch between buffers anymore
      > (before Jaguar it worked). When I change to an US keyboard layout (via
      > keyboard menu) CTRL-^ works. So it is not really a problem of vim, is
      > it? But to use an US layout on a german keyboard is not very easy, if
      > at
      > all possible.
      >
      > Has someone an idea how to get it working?

      Works fine with Carbon gvim (6.1.317 'official' binary) here, both on a
      Powerbook and a PM G4 with a Pro Keyboard.
      It doesnt work in Terminal, even when i switch the keyboard layout to
      US.

      Mit freundlichem Gruss

      Markus Fischer <fischer@...>
      MSNET phone +49 234 90200
      Dorstener Str. 347 fax +49 234 9020222
      D-44809 Bochum-Germany mailto:fischer@...
    • Dirk Zimmermann
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
        Hello,

        * Markus Fischer <fischer@...> [2003-02-06 12:36]:
        > Works fine with Carbon gvim (6.1.317 'official' binary) here, both on a
        > Powerbook and a PM G4 with a Pro Keyboard.

        Yes here too, but I like/need the teminal version as well.

        > It doesnt work in Terminal, even when i switch the keyboard layout to
        > US.

        That is a little bit strange. I guess you know, that ^ is placed on the
        6 key at US keyboard. Which terminal version do you use?

        Thanks so far,
        Dirk

        --
        The difference between theory and practice is that in theory is no
        difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
          On Thursday, Feb 6, 2003, at 13:04 Europe/Amsterdam, Dirk Zimmermann
          wrote:
          > Yes here too, but I like/need the teminal version as well.
          >
          >> It doesnt work in Terminal, even when i switch the keyboard layout to
          >> US.
          >
          > That is a little bit strange. I guess you know, that ^ is placed on the
          > 6 key at US keyboard. Which terminal version do you use?

          BTW for the people who like using VIM on OS X in the Terminal I can
          heartily recommend GLTerm. I mostly use VIM in a terminal, but I have
          felt that Apple Terminal was too slow when scrolling, and a lot
          keybindings was weird as some apps didn't know about 'Apple Terminal'
          as a recognized type.
          GLTerm behaves like an xterm-color, so it works very well. And for
          those lucky enough to have Queartz Extreme all the rendering is done
          using OpenGL.

          I only have a iBook 500 so no Extreme for me, but it is still faster
          than Apple Terminal for scrolling.

          See: http://www.pollet.net/GLterm/

          gr.

          Etienne
        • Markus Fischer
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
            Am Donnerstag, 06.02.03 um 13:04 Uhr schrieb Dirk Zimmermann:

            >> It doesnt work in Terminal, even when i switch the keyboard layout to
            >> US.
            >
            > That is a little bit strange. I guess you know, that ^ is placed on the
            > 6 key at US keyboard. Which terminal version do you use?

            The Ctrl-Shift-6 key works, ok, i tried the same key...
            Its the same version, i call it from the Resources folder in
            /Applications.
            I have another version (from fink) installed, same behaviour, US
            Keymapping works.

            Both versions called in xterm from the Apple X11 Beta work with Ctrl-6,
            but i have a
            .Xmodmap(downloaded somewhere) for that.