No CTRL_^ with german keyboard on 10.2.3

  • Dirk Zimmermann
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
      Hello,

      I am using vim 6.1.320 with MacOSX 10.2.3 and german keyboard. Since I
      changed to Jaguar I cannot use CTRL-^ to switch between buffers anymore
      (before Jaguar it worked). When I change to an US keyboard layout (via
      keyboard menu) CTRL-^ works. So it is not really a problem of vim, is
      it? But to use an US layout on a german keyboard is not very easy, if at
      all possible.

      Has someone an idea how to get it working?

      Best,
      Dirk

      --
      The difference between theory and practice is that in theory is no
      difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
        Am Donnerstag, 06.02.03 um 11:15 Uhr schrieb Dirk Zimmermann:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am using vim 6.1.320 with MacOSX 10.2.3 and german keyboard. Since I
        > changed to Jaguar I cannot use CTRL-^ to switch between buffers anymore
        > (before Jaguar it worked). When I change to an US keyboard layout (via
        > keyboard menu) CTRL-^ works. So it is not really a problem of vim, is
        > it? But to use an US layout on a german keyboard is not very easy, if
        > at
        > all possible.
        >
        > Has someone an idea how to get it working?

        Works fine with Carbon gvim (6.1.317 'official' binary) here, both on a
        Powerbook and a PM G4 with a Pro Keyboard.
        It doesnt work in Terminal, even when i switch the keyboard layout to
        US.

        Mit freundlichem Gruss

        Markus Fischer <fischer@...>
        MSNET phone +49 234 90200
        Dorstener Str. 347 fax +49 234 9020222
        D-44809 Bochum-Germany mailto:fischer@...
      • Dirk Zimmermann
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
          Hello,

          * Markus Fischer <fischer@...> [2003-02-06 12:36]:
          > Works fine with Carbon gvim (6.1.317 'official' binary) here, both on a
          > Powerbook and a PM G4 with a Pro Keyboard.

          Yes here too, but I like/need the teminal version as well.

          > It doesnt work in Terminal, even when i switch the keyboard layout to
          > US.

          That is a little bit strange. I guess you know, that ^ is placed on the
          6 key at US keyboard. Which terminal version do you use?

          Thanks so far,
          Dirk

          --
          The difference between theory and practice is that in theory is no
          difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
        • Etienne Posthumus
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
            On Thursday, Feb 6, 2003, at 13:04 Europe/Amsterdam, Dirk Zimmermann
            wrote:
            > Yes here too, but I like/need the teminal version as well.
            >
            >> It doesnt work in Terminal, even when i switch the keyboard layout to
            >> US.
            >
            > That is a little bit strange. I guess you know, that ^ is placed on the
            > 6 key at US keyboard. Which terminal version do you use?

            BTW for the people who like using VIM on OS X in the Terminal I can
            heartily recommend GLTerm. I mostly use VIM in a terminal, but I have
            felt that Apple Terminal was too slow when scrolling, and a lot
            keybindings was weird as some apps didn't know about 'Apple Terminal'
            as a recognized type.
            GLTerm behaves like an xterm-color, so it works very well. And for
            those lucky enough to have Queartz Extreme all the rendering is done
            using OpenGL.

            I only have a iBook 500 so no Extreme for me, but it is still faster
            than Apple Terminal for scrolling.

            See: http://www.pollet.net/GLterm/

            gr.

            Etienne
          • Markus Fischer
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
              Am Donnerstag, 06.02.03 um 13:04 Uhr schrieb Dirk Zimmermann:

              >> It doesnt work in Terminal, even when i switch the keyboard layout to
              >> US.
              >
              > That is a little bit strange. I guess you know, that ^ is placed on the
              > 6 key at US keyboard. Which terminal version do you use?

              The Ctrl-Shift-6 key works, ok, i tried the same key...
              Its the same version, i call it from the Resources folder in
              /Applications.
              I have another version (from fink) installed, same behaviour, US
              Keymapping works.

              Both versions called in xterm from the Apple X11 Beta work with Ctrl-6,
              but i have a
              .Xmodmap(downloaded somewhere) for that.