Re: Multibyte vim 5.7 for Macintosh available

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2000
      Kenichi Asai wrote:

      > One thing that I noticed during compilation was that the name of the
      > CodeWarrior project file is not very appropriate.
      >
      > - In src/INSTALL_mac.txt, it should have the name `os_mac.cw5.hqx' but
      > actually it is `os_mac.cw5.sit.hqx'.

      I think the difference is that the ".sit" file is compressed. It is about 28
      Kbyte, while your file is about 143 Kbyte. I would like to include your
      improved version (if others agree) but preferably in the compressed version.

      I have trouble downloaing this file with Netscape, it insists on decoding it
      and I can't find how to disable that...

      123. You ask the car dealer to install an extra cigarette lighter
      on your new car to power your notebook.

    • Kenichi Asai
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2000
        Dear MacVim developpers,

        Eugene Lee wrote:
        >I went to your site and tried to download your 5.7 binaries. However,
        >none of the links to the binaries worked. I didn't know if there was
        >some strange problem with the web server, or maybe the filenames are
        >different.

        Sorry for this and thank you for pointing this out. I forgot to
        insert a directory name in the file path. I think you can get them
        now.

        # If you could successfully use your language (Hangul?), I can include
        # that information together with necessary options.

        Bram wrote:
        >> - In src/INSTALL_mac.txt, it should have the name `os_mac.cw5.hqx' but
        >> actually it is `os_mac.cw5.sit.hqx'.
        >
        >I think the difference is that the ".sit" file is compressed. It is about 28
        >Kbyte, while your file is about 143 Kbyte. I would like to include your
        >improved version (if others agree) but preferably in the compressed version.

        I prepared a compressed version which is available at:

        http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/vim.mcp.sit.hqx

        You can either

        - change its name to os_mac.cw5.hqx, or

        - change its name to os_mac.cw5.sit.hqx and change src/INSTALL_mac.txt
        accordingly.

        Both should work fine.

        >I have trouble downloaing this file with Netscape, it insists on decoding it
        >and I can't find how to disable that...

        Select Preferences from the Edit menu, click Applications under
        Navigator folder, find "Macintosh Binhex Archive", click Edit, and
        select "Save To Disk". This is how I did it with my Netscape
        Communicator 4.6.

        Sincerely,

        ---
        Kenichi Asai
      • Eugene Lee
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2000

          :
          :Sorry for this and thank you for pointing this out. I forgot to
          :insert a directory name in the file path. I think you can get them
          :now.

          I did, thanks for the quick reply!

          I just have a quick question. Can I just download and use the normal
          Vim 5.7 runtime files (vim-5.7-rt.tar.gz), or are there MacOS changes
          that need to be made (e.g. converting Unix newlines to Mac newlines)?

          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2000
            Eugene Lee worte:
            >I just have a quick question. Can I just download and use the normal
            >Vim 5.7 runtime files (vim-5.7-rt.tar.gz), or are there MacOS changes
            >that need to be made (e.g. converting Unix newlines to Mac newlines)?

            It seems that it is better to change Unix newlines to Mac newlines.
            Without doing this, vim starts up, but if I type :help uganda, vim
            says it has no help for uganda. After converting newlines, it works
            fine.

            What I usually do is to check "convert newlines when text files"
            option found in my StuffItExpander.

            Other than this, I make no changes from vim-5.7-rt.tar.gz.

            Sincerely,

            ---
            Kenichi Asai
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2000
              Kenichi Asai wrote:

              > Eugene Lee worte:
              > >I just have a quick question. Can I just download and use the normal
              > >Vim 5.7 runtime files (vim-5.7-rt.tar.gz), or are there MacOS changes
              > >that need to be made (e.g. converting Unix newlines to Mac newlines)?
              >
              > It seems that it is better to change Unix newlines to Mac newlines.
              > Without doing this, vim starts up, but if I type :help uganda, vim
              > says it has no help for uganda. After converting newlines, it works
              > fine.
              >
              > What I usually do is to check "convert newlines when text files"
              > option found in my StuffItExpander.
              >
              > Other than this, I make no changes from vim-5.7-rt.tar.gz.
              >
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > ---
              > Kenichi Asai

              I have not tested this recently, but IIRC the only file that
              matters is the tags file, which should be in Mac format. In older
              versions of vim (around 5.3, when i started using it) any file that was
              :sourced had to be in UNIX format, but that has been fixed.

              HTH --Benji Fisher
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2000
                Kenichi Asai wrote:

                > I prepared a compressed version which is available at:
                >
                > http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim/vim.mcp.sit.hqx

                Very good. I'd like to hear from others if I should include this one.

                > You can either
                >
                > - change its name to os_mac.cw5.hqx, or
                >
                > - change its name to os_mac.cw5.sit.hqx and change src/INSTALL_mac.txt
                > accordingly.

                I prefer short names, otherwise "ls" shows only three columns. How about
                "os_mac.sit.hqx"? The "sit" shows it's compressed. Or would it be more
                important to use the "cw5"?

                > Both should work fine.
                >
                > >I have trouble downloaing this file with Netscape, it insists on decoding it
                > >and I can't find how to disable that...
                >
                > Select Preferences from the Edit menu, click Applications under
                > Navigator folder, find "Macintosh Binhex Archive", click Edit, and
                > select "Save To Disk". This is how I did it with my Netscape
                > Communicator 4.6.

                It wasn't there in my version (I'm using the Linux version on FreeBSD).
                Perhaps the "netscape default" is catching it. I'll add an entry for ".hqx"
                with "save to disk", lets see if that works...

                132. You come back and check this list every half-hour.

              • Sven Guckes
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 8, 2000
                  * Benji Fisher <fisherbb@...> [000628 13:27]:
                  > I have not tested this recently, but IIRC the only file that
                  > matters is the tags file, which should be in Mac format.
                  > In older versions of vim (around 5.3, when i started using it)
                  > any file that was :sourced had to be in UNIX format,
                  > but that has been fixed.

                  I wonder - can it be fixed that the format of the
                  tags file has to be in DOS/Mac/Unix format?

                  If so then there would be no need to convert any files
                  and there would be no need for extra runtime archives.

                  Please keepin mind that this will make it
                  just more complicated for the database
                  used to download Vim and the runtime files:

                  Download Vim:
                  what: [Archive] (binary/runtime/source)
                  for: [Operating System] (Windows*, Linux, FreeBSD,...)
                  from: [Mirror] (ftp.country.vim.org)

                  Sven