MacVim.app - snapshot 33

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 5, 2008
      Hi all,

      I have uploaded a new snapshot to

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

      Please download and test so that I may update the Appcast.

      This snapshot includes contributions from three new MacVim developers:
      Kyle Lippincott has added support for proxy icons, Matt Tolton has
      implemented a Plug-In architecture, and Kaoru Yoshida has rewritten
      the Input Manager support. Let me just say that I find it very
      encouraging to get more help with this project! While we're on the
      topic of MacVim development; if you are interested in getting started
      with the source code you should take a look at the newly updated file
      "src/MacVim/README". I have also written some documentation on how to
      contribute with patches using Git, see

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Contributing

      If you want to get started with plug-in development you should take a
      look at the example plug-in (FileBrowser.tgz) that Matt posted to this
      list (the thread is called "Initial Plugin Architecture patch"). I'm
      sure Matt will be happy to help out with any question you may have (as
      will I).

      I think that the new Input Manager support is a big improvement, but
      we need feedback from more IM users to let us know exactly how well it
      works. Kaoru seems to be on top of fixing bugs as they are reported,
      so if you have any problems or comments please make yourself heard.

      More changes since snapshot 32:
      - The file open dialog has a check-box to show hidden files (patch by
      Nico Weber)
      - Cmd-? now works
      - Partial printing support: Cmd-p opens up Preview.app (Nico Weber)
      - Uses Vim 7.2a BETA source code
      - Latest runtime files
      - Minor bug fixes (see http://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git)

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008

        > I have uploaded a new snapshot to
        >
        > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
        >
        > Please download and test so that I may update the Appcast.

        works fine over here.

        Nico

      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
          Nico Weber wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          >> I have uploaded a new snapshot to
          >>
          >> http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
          >>
          >> Please download and test so that I may update the Appcast.
          >
          > works fine over here.

          And here.

          Ben.

        • Ted Pavlic
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
            >>> I have uploaded a new snapshot to
            >>>
            >>> http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
            >>>
            >>> Please download and test so that I may update the Appcast.
            >> works fine over here.
            >
            > And here.

            Ditto (PowerBook G4 (PPC) -- 10.4.11)

            --
            Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

          • Yi
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 6, 2008
              Works great here, thanks for the good work!

              On Jul 5, 11:30 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I have uploaded a new snapshot to
              >
              > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
              >
              > Please download and test so that I may update the Appcast.
              >
              > This snapshot includes contributions from three new MacVim developers:
              > Kyle Lippincott has added support for proxy icons, Matt Tolton has
              > implemented a Plug-In architecture, and Kaoru Yoshida has rewritten
              > the Input Manager support.  Let me just say that I find it very
              > encouraging to get more help with this project!  While we're on the
              > topic of MacVim development; if you are interested in getting started
              > with the source code you should take a look at the newly updated file
              > "src/MacVim/README".  I have also written some documentation on how to
              > contribute with patches using Git, see
              >
              > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Contributing
              >
              > If you want to get started with plug-in development you should take a
              > look at the example plug-in (FileBrowser.tgz) that Matt posted to this
              > list (the thread is called "Initial Plugin Architecture patch").  I'm
              > sure Matt will be happy to help out with any question you may have (as
              > will I).
              >
              > I think that the new Input Manager support is a big improvement, but
              > we need feedback from more IM users to let us know exactly how well it
              > works.  Kaoru seems to be on top of fixing bugs as they are reported,
              > so if you have any problems or comments please make yourself heard.
              >
              > More changes since snapshot 32:
              > - The file open dialog has a check-box to show hidden files (patch by
              > Nico Weber)
              > - Cmd-? now works
              > - Partial printing support: Cmd-p opens up Preview.app (Nico Weber)
              > - Uses Vim 7.2a BETA source code
              > - Latest runtime files
              > - Minor bug fixes (seehttp://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git)
              >
              > Björn
            • Yongwei Wu
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008
                2008/7/6 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I have uploaded a new snapshot to
                >
                > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
                >
                > Please download and test so that I may update the Appcast.
                >
                > This snapshot includes contributions from three new MacVim developers:
                > Kyle Lippincott has added support for proxy icons, Matt Tolton has
                > implemented a Plug-In architecture, and Kaoru Yoshida has rewritten
                > the Input Manager support. Let me just say that I find it very
                > encouraging to get more help with this project! While we're on the
                > topic of MacVim development; if you are interested in getting started
                > with the source code you should take a look at the newly updated file
                > "src/MacVim/README". I have also written some documentation on how to
                > contribute with patches using Git, see
                >
                > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Contributing
                >
                > If you want to get started with plug-in development you should take a
                > look at the example plug-in (FileBrowser.tgz) that Matt posted to this
                > list (the thread is called "Initial Plugin Architecture patch"). I'm
                > sure Matt will be happy to help out with any question you may have (as
                > will I).
                >
                > I think that the new Input Manager support is a big improvement, but
                > we need feedback from more IM users to let us know exactly how well it
                > works. Kaoru seems to be on top of fixing bugs as they are reported,
                > so if you have any problems or comments please make yourself heard.
                >
                > More changes since snapshot 32:
                > - The file open dialog has a check-box to show hidden files (patch by
                > Nico Weber)
                > - Cmd-? now works
                > - Partial printing support: Cmd-p opens up Preview.app (Nico Weber)
                > - Uses Vim 7.2a BETA source code
                > - Latest runtime files
                > - Minor bug fixes (see http://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git)
                >
                > Björn

                It looks very good, and I find no issues, except that I want to query
                about an previously existing issue. When anything "special" (like
                echoing an expression), a second Vim icon will appear on the dock, and
                jump there for some time. It is a little annoying. Any way to get rid
                of it?

                I am using Mac OS X 10.5.4.

                Best regards,

                Yongwei

                --
                Wu Yongwei

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 7, 2008
                  2008/7/7 Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@...>:

                  > It looks very good, and I find no issues, except that I want to query
                  > about an previously existing issue. When anything "special" (like
                  > echoing an expression), a second Vim icon will appear on the dock, and
                  > jump there for some time. It is a little annoying. Any way to get rid
                  > of it?

                  This has been reported here:

                  http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56

                  That thread also contains a potential fix to the problem you are
                  seeing, so please try it out and let us know if it worked or not.

                  Thanks,

                • Yongwei Wu
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008
                    2008/7/8 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>:

                    > 2008/7/7 Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@...>:
                    >>
                    >> It looks very good, and I find no issues, except that I want to query
                    >> about an previously existing issue. When anything "special" (like
                    >> echoing an expression), a second Vim icon will appear on the dock, and
                    >> jump there for some time. It is a little annoying. Any way to get rid
                    >> of it?
                    >
                    > This has been reported here:
                    >
                    > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56
                    >
                    > That thread also contains a potential fix to the problem you are
                    > seeing, so please try it out and let us know if it worked or not.

                    Interesting. __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0 fixes it for me too.
                    My older value is 0x1F5:25:52. I use Chinese.

                    Best regards,

                    Yongwei

                    --
                    Wu Yongwei

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008
                      2008/7/8 Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@...>:

                      > 2008/7/8 björn <bjorn.winckler@...>:
                      >>
                      >> 2008/7/7 Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@...>:
                      >>>
                      >>> It looks very good, and I find no issues, except that I want to query
                      >>> about an previously existing issue. When anything "special" (like
                      >>> echoing an expression), a second Vim icon will appear on the dock, and
                      >>> jump there for some time. It is a little annoying. Any way to get rid
                      >>> of it?
                      >>
                      >> This has been reported here:
                      >>
                      >> http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56
                      >>
                      >> That thread also contains a potential fix to the problem you are
                      >> seeing, so please try it out and let us know if it worked or not.
                      >
                      > Interesting. __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0 fixes it for me too.
                      > My older value is 0x1F5:25:52. I use Chinese.

                      Good. Thanks for letting us know.

                      Now, what on earth is this variable doing and why would it cause a
                      second icon to appear on the dock!?! Can somebody answer that
                      question?

                    • Nico Weber
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008
                        >>> This has been reported here:
                        >>>
                        >>> http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56
                        >>>
                        >>> That thread also contains a potential fix to the problem you are
                        >>> seeing, so please try it out and let us know if it worked or not.
                        >>
                        >> Interesting. __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0 fixes it for me too.
                        >> My older value is 0x1F5:25:52. I use Chinese.
                        >
                        > Good. Thanks for letting us know.
                        >
                        > Now, what on earth is this variable doing and why would it cause a
                        > second icon to appear on the dock!?! Can somebody answer that
                        > question?

                        I doubt anyone outside of Apple knows this. It'd be very interesting
                        to know, though.

                        Anyways, I filed a bug at bugreport.apple.com about this a while back.
                        I read somewhere they prioritize their bugs by dupe count, so perhaps
                        you want to file it as well. Just copy and paste the following:

                        <title>Impossible to launch Firefox if CFUserTextEncoding doesn't
                        contain default value</title>
                        <text>
                        The file ~/.CFUserTextEncoding seems to store the active keyboard
                        layout and text encoding (it's not documented anywhere, sadly). If it
                        does not contain the default setting (US, represented by '0:0'), some
                        applications like Firefox and MacVim fail to launch, due to what seems
                        to be a problem with OS X.

                        See http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56#makechanges
                        and http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=hu&forumId=1&comments_parentId=2293
                        for more information.
                        </text>

                        Nico

                      • Yongwei Wu
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
                          2008/7/9 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                          >>> Interesting. __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0 fixes it for me too.
                          >>> My older value is 0x1F5:25:52. I use Chinese.
                          >>
                          >> Good. Thanks for letting us know.
                          >>
                          >> Now, what on earth is this variable doing and why would it cause a
                          >> second icon to appear on the dock!?! Can somebody answer that
                          >> question?
                          >

                          > I doubt anyone outside of Apple knows this. It'd be very interesting
                          > to know, though.
                          >
                          > Anyways, I filed a bug at bugreport.apple.com about this a while back.
                          > I read somewhere they prioritize their bugs by dupe count, so perhaps
                          > you want to file it as well. Just copy and paste the following:
                          >
                          > <title>Impossible to launch Firefox if CFUserTextEncoding doesn't
                          > contain default value</title>
                          > <text>
                          > The file ~/.CFUserTextEncoding seems to store the active keyboard
                          > layout and text encoding (it's not documented anywhere, sadly). If it
                          > does not contain the default setting (US, represented by '0:0'), some
                          > applications like Firefox and MacVim fail to launch, due to what seems
                          > to be a problem with OS X.
                          >
                          > See http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56#makechanges
                          > and http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=hu&forumId=1&comments_parentId=2293
                          > for more information.
                          > </text>

                          Except that my Firefox 3 runs perfectly well, and shows no such problems....

                          Best regards,

                          Yongwei

                          --
                          Wu Yongwei

                        • Ben Schmidt
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 13, 2008
                            Yongwei Wu wrote:

                            >>> Good. Thanks for letting us know.
                            >>>
                            >>> Now, what on earth is this variable doing and why would it cause a
                            >>> second icon to appear on the dock!?! Can somebody answer that
                            >>> question?
                            >>
                            >> I doubt anyone outside of Apple knows this. It'd be very interesting
                            >> to know, though.
                            >>
                            >> Anyways, I filed a bug at bugreport.apple.com about this a while back.
                            >> I read somewhere they prioritize their bugs by dupe count, so perhaps
                            >> you want to file it as well. Just copy and paste the following:
                            >>
                            >> <title>Impossible to launch Firefox if CFUserTextEncoding doesn't
                            >> contain default value</title>
                            >> <text>
                            >> The file ~/.CFUserTextEncoding seems to store the active keyboard
                            >> layout and text encoding (it's not documented anywhere, sadly). If it
                            >> does not contain the default setting (US, represented by '0:0'), some
                            >> applications like Firefox and MacVim fail to launch, due to what seems
                            >> to be a problem with OS X.
                            >>
                            >> See http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=56#makechanges
                            >> and http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=hu&forumId=1&comments_parentId=2293
                            >> for more information.
                            >> </text>
                            >
                            > Except that my Firefox 3 runs perfectly well, and shows no such problems....

                            Did earlier FireFoxes work? If not, maybe the FireFox guys found a fix/workaround
                            and we can borrow it?

                            Ben.

                          • Ben Schmidt
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 13, 2008
                              >> Interesting. __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0 fixes it for me too.
                              >> My older value is 0x1F5:25:52. I use Chinese.
                              >
                              > Good. Thanks for letting us know.
                              >
                              > Now, what on earth is this variable doing and why would it cause a
                              > second icon to appear on the dock!?! Can somebody answer that
                              > question?

                              I think the CF is Core Foundation. I came across that encoding option
                              when I was investigating the clipboard and the pbcopy and pbpaste
                              commandline utilities and such things. I think it sets the default text
                              encoding used in Core Foundation, which I think particularly affects
                              Carbon apps.

                              Why would it cause a second icon in the dock?! Here are a bunch of
                              ideas...

                              - I would have thought only if a new process is started or somehow the
                              application is initialised twice, perhaps by calling some Core
                              Foundation function that automatically initialises Core Foundation and
                              it somehow lost track of the fact it was initialised already--perhaps
                              when MacVim forks to execute a new Vim process, or Vim forks to launch
                              MacVim, somehow something from Core Foundation is called where it
                              shouldn't be?--perhaps via a Cocoa API...this could be hard to track
                              down....

                              - Or perhaps it's to do with the environment that is inherited on a
                              fork; perhaps for some reason that variable isn't copied across; maybe
                              this changed in Leopard (e.g. environment variables starting with _
                              may have been decided not to be inherited by default or something). Or
                              maybe it happens if that environment variable somehow becomes
                              different in the Vim and MacVim processes. Can we check the value of
                              the variable somehow in all MacVim and Vim processes? Maybe we need to
                              pass the value from MacVim to all Vim processes when they connect to
                              standardise it or something.

                              - Or could be to do with default keyboard layouts being
                              application-specific: is there an option to remember them for separate
                              applications in Mac OS X Preferences? If so, does it have an effect? I
                              guess if this does help it suggests the potential solution above.

                              Ben.

                            • Yongwei Wu
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 15, 2008
                                2008/7/13 Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...>:
                                > - Or could be to do with default keyboard layouts being
                                > application-specific: is there an option to remember them for separate
                                > applications in Mac OS X Preferences? If so, does it have an effect? I
                                > guess if this does help it suggests the potential solution above.

                                Wonderful guess. MacVim used to have the strange behaviour that
                                whenever I entered insert mode, the input method becomes
                                Chinese--annoying to me really. When I inserted "export
                                __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0" into mvim, this ceased to occur.

                                My languages under International have Simplified Chinese before English.

                                Best regards,

                                Yongwei

                                --
                                Wu Yongwei

                              • Larry.Liu
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                                  Hi yongwei,

                                  I am also facing this problem, can you tell me how to avoid this problem?

                                  You mentioned you

                                  When I inserted "export __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0" into mvim

                                  But I don't know how to do this.

                                  Could you please help me?

                                  Regards.

                                  On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei@...> wrote:

                                  2008/7/13 Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...>:
                                  > - Or could be to do with default keyboard layouts being
                                  >   application-specific: is there an option to remember them for separate
                                  >   applications in Mac OS X Preferences? If so, does it have an effect? I
                                  >   guess if this does help it suggests the potential solution above.

                                  Wonderful guess. MacVim used to have the strange behaviour that
                                  whenever I entered insert mode, the input method becomes
                                  Chinese--annoying to me really. When I inserted "export
                                  __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0" into mvim, this ceased to occur.

                                  My languages under International have Simplified Chinese before English.

                                  Best regards,

                                  Yongwei

                                  --
                                  Wu Yongwei

                                  --
                                  --------------------------------------
                                  Larry.Liu

                                • Yongwei Wu
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                                    2008/9/8 Larry. Liu <smartlitchi@...>:
                                    > Hi yongwei,
                                    > I am also facing this problem, can you tell me how to avoid this problem?
                                    > You mentioned you
                                    > When I inserted "export __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0" into mvim
                                    > But I don't know how to do this.

                                    I copied Vim.app to /Applications, and the file mvim to
                                    /usr/local/bin. Then, I can start MacVim by typing mvim on the
                                    command line.

                                    I meant I could edit the file /usr/local/bin/mvim to add the above
                                    line near the bottom of the script, before launching MacVim.

                                    I also have found no side-effects by simply removing the file
                                    ~/.CFUserTextEncoding (I am not on a Mac, and cannot be sure of the
                                    file name). It seems to work well.

                                    People also mentioned setting

                                    __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0

                                    in