Re: Simple printing "patch" for MacVim

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
      >>> It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte
      >>> change.
      >>> But who cares about 5k these days :-P
      >> TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
      >> necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
      >> set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\
      >> 60;rm\
      >> '.v:fname_in.')&')
      >
      > And what about:
      >
      > set printexpr=system('(ps2pdf\ '.v:fname_in.'\
      > '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;sleep\ 60;rm
      > \ '.v:fname_in.';rm\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf)&')
      >
      > It first converts the postscript to pdf, so you won't be asked to
      > save the file.

      That deletes the pdf after 60 seconds as well. I don't know if Preview
      is happy about that.

      Nico

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
        >> It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte
        >> change.
        >> But who cares about 5k these days :-P
        >
        > TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
        > necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
        >
        > set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\ 60;rm\
        > '.v:fname_in.')&')

        This fails if Preview takes more than 60 seconds to open the file
        (entirely reasonable on my iBook when lots of other programs are
        open). The automator solution seems to work fine, and while it's a bit
        complex, it (seemingly) works reliably.

        Nico

      • Frank Hellenkamp
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
          >> set printexpr=system('(ps2pdf\ '.v:fname_in.'\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;open\ -a\
          >> Preview\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;sleep\ 60;rm\ '.v:fname_in.';rm\
          >> '.v:fname_in.'.pdf)&')
          >
          > Don't you have to have ghostscript installed to have ps2pdf on your system?

          I have a ps2pdf in /usr/bin/ so I *think* it's part of the system (I'm
          not sure.)

          Have someone a clean system without that much fiddling, which I have
          done with mine?

          I *have* an extra ghostscript install but it's in /opt/local/bin/,
          because it's a macports install.

          Frank

          --
          frank hellenkamp | interface designer
          jonas.info@... | mail
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
            >>> It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte
            >>> change.
            >>> But who cares about 5k these days :-P
            >> TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
            >> necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
            >>
            >> set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\ 60;rm\
            >> '.v:fname_in.')&')
            >
            > This fails if Preview takes more than 60 seconds to open the file
            > (entirely reasonable on my iBook when lots of other programs are
            > open). The automator solution seems to work fine, and while it's a bit
            > complex, it (seemingly) works reliably.

            The thing is, that the automator workflow in itself eats much resources,
            and thereof takes longer. The simpler scripting solution works much
            faster on my g4 powerbook, than the automator-solution.

            So it depends. We could wait much longer than 60 seconds, but sure, it
            is a hack, and you will have an extra process in the background for that
            time.

            Frank

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
              >>> TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
              >>> necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
              >>> set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\
              >>> 60;rm\
              >>> '.v:fname_in.')&')
              >> And what about:
              >>
              >> set printexpr=system('(ps2pdf\ '.v:fname_in.'\
              >> '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;sleep\ 60;rm
              >> \ '.v:fname_in.';rm\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf)&')
              >>
              >> It first converts the postscript to pdf, so you won't be asked to
              >> save the file.
              >
              > That deletes the pdf after 60 seconds as well. I don't know if Preview
              > is happy about that.

              That won't be a problem, when the file is open. The actual file won't be
              removed from the filesystem until it's closed.

              Frank

              --
              frank hellenkamp | interface designer
              jonas.info@... | mail
              +49.30.49 78 20 70 | tel
              +49.173.70 55 781 | mbl
              +49.1805.4002.243 912 | fax
            • Matt Tolton
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                > This fails if Preview takes more than 60 seconds to open the file
                > (entirely reasonable on my iBook when lots of other programs are
                > open). The automator solution seems to work fine, and while it's a bit
                > complex, it (seemingly) works reliably.

                Let's just not delete the file, then. It will be cleared after
                awhile, anyway. The automator solution is slower, and it is overkill.

              • Matt Tolton
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                  > I have a ps2pdf in /usr/bin/ so I *think* it's part of the system (I'm not
                  > sure.)

                  I don't have ps2pdf on my system. However, I poked around a bit and
                  found pstopdf, which DOES look like it is distributed with OS X.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 5, 2008

                    I've pushed a patch which uses Nico's original suggestion without the
                    "delete", i.e. just open the file in Preview and let it handle
                    conversion to pdf.

                    Although pstopdf is installed by default on both 10.4 and 10.5 it does
                    not give the user any feedback that its processing the file. This is
                    weird when you're trying to print a large file because it seems like
                    nothing is happening. So using that is out.

                    Lots of people think using Automator is overkill. I agree. For now
                    we'll rely on OS X to delete the temp files for us. I guess this
                    could create problems if somebody never reboots their computer and
                    prints large documents several times a day, each day of the year.
                    When that user complains we may already have implemented a nicer
                    printing system so that we may smugly reply "download the latest
                    release!". (One can always hope!)