Re: Simple printing "patch" for MacVim

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2008
      2008/6/28 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:

      >> It works for me without the delete() part as well. I don't mind
      >> including something like this in $SYS/gvimrc, but what should we do
      >> about the "delete"?
      >
      > Well...I suggested a solution in my last response. :) It would also
      > probably be ok to just drop the delete like Nico suggested.

      So, should I just add this line to $SYS/gvimrc:

      set printexpr=system('open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in)\ .\ +\ v:shell_error

      Or, should I change it in the source code? I don't understand the
      implications of not deleting the file afterwards, or how/if the
      delayed delete would work.

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 1, 2008

        >>> It works for me without the delete() part as well. I don't mind
        >>> including something like this in $SYS/gvimrc, but what should we do
        >>> about the "delete"?
        >>
        >> Well...I suggested a solution in my last response. :) It would also
        >> probably be ok to just drop the delete like Nico suggested.
        >
        > So, should I just add this line to $SYS/gvimrc:
        >
        > set printexpr=system('open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in)\ .\ +\
        > v:shell_error

        set printexpr=system('open\ '.v:fname_in)\ +\ v:shell_error
        (without the '.' at the end).

        > Or, should I change it in the source code? I don't understand the
        > implications of not deleting the file afterwards, or how/if the
        > delayed delete would work.

        I'd add it to $SYS/gvimrc. I'm not sure what happens if the file is
        not deleted, I guess it is deleted when you reboot your computer (the
        temporary file was created in a subdir in /private/var/folders/. I
        have since rebooted my Mac, and now it's gone).

        Nico

      • Steven Michalske
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 1, 2008
          automator to the rescue

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
            2008/7/2 Steven Michalske <smichalske@...>:
            > automator to the rescue
            >
            > then you would set the printing command to:
            >
            > automator -i FILE_NAME_HERE ~/Documents/printToOreo.workflow
            >
            > here in automator.app I set it to my preferred printer, your other
            > option is to use the default printer.
            >
            > it wont show a print dialog box.... but it works.

            That's a pretty neat idea too. I'm guessing most people would expect
            a print dialog box though (I would) so in that sense I think Nico's
            idea is slightly better. What do other people think?

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
              >> automator to the rescue
              >>
              >> then you would set the printing command to:
              >>
              >> automator -i FILE_NAME_HERE ~/Documents/printToOreo.workflow
              >>
              >> here in automator.app I set it to my preferred printer, your other
              >> option is to use the default printer.
              >>
              >> it wont show a print dialog box.... but it works.
              >
              > That's a pretty neat idea too. I'm guessing most people would expect
              > a print dialog box though (I would) so in that sense I think Nico's
              > idea is slightly better. What do other people think?

              I prefer opening the file in Preview. As far as I understand the
              automator action does not give any visual feedback (?), which is
              confusing to me.

              Nico

            • Matt Tolton
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                >> That's a pretty neat idea too. I'm guessing most people would expect
                >> a print dialog box though (I would) so in that sense I think Nico's
                >> idea is slightly better. What do other people think?
                >
                > I prefer opening the file in Preview. As far as I understand the
                > automator action does not give any visual feedback (?), which is
                > confusing to me.

                I also prefer opening the file in preview.

              • Steven Michalske
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                  under the print finder items action's options you can turn on show
                  this action check box.

                  This will put a simple dialog box on the screen with the option to
                  select the printer.

                  With hardcopy on my linux installs I don't get feedback..... it just
                  prints.....

                  to monitor status of large jobs, the printer dialog box will be in
                  your dock till the job is sent to the printer.

                  :-)

                  hardkrash

                  On Jul 2, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Nico Weber wrote:

                  >>> automator to the rescue
                  >>>
                  >>> then you would set the printing command to:
                  >>>
                  >>> automator -i FILE_NAME_HERE ~/Documents/printToOreo.workflow
                  >>>
                  >>> here in automator.app I set it to my preferred printer, your other
                  >>> option is to use the default printer.
                  >>>
                  >>> it wont show a print dialog box.... but it works.
                  >>
                  >> That's a pretty neat idea too. I'm guessing most people would expect
                  >> a print dialog box though (I would) so in that sense I think Nico's
                  >> idea is slightly better. What do other people think?
                  >
                  > I prefer opening the file in Preview. As far as I understand the
                  > automator action does not give any visual feedback (?), which is
                  > confusing to me.
                  >
                  > Nico

                • Steven Michalske
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                    install the workfolw to ~/.vim

                    and set this

                    printexpr=system('automator\ -i\ '.v:fname_in.'\ ~/.vim/print.workflow')

                    edit the workflow's options for the option for it to ask you for which
                    printer to use.

                    hardkrash

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008
                      2008/7/3 Steven Michalske <smichalske@...>:

                      > install the workfolw to ~/.vim
                      >
                      > and set this
                      >
                      > printexpr=system('automator\ -i\ '.v:fname_in.'\ ~/.vim/print.workflow')
                      >
                      > edit the workflow's options for the option for it to ask you for which
                      > printer to use.

                      That is much better, but I still prefer being able to see the file to
                      be printed in Preview first. Attached is a patch that builds on both
                      Nico's and Steven's ideas. Automator is used to open the file from
                      :hardcopy in Preview, then the it deletes the temporary file.

                      Two nuisances:

                      1. Preview doesn't always get the focus
                      2. When quitting Preview you get a dialog box asking if you want to
                      save the pdf since it converted the ps that :hardcopy generated

                      Can somebody please test the attached patch before I merge this into
                      the public repo?

                      Thanks,

                    • Nico Weber
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008

                        > Two nuisances:
                        >
                        > 1. Preview doesn't always get the focus
                        > 2. When quitting Preview you get a dialog box asking if you want to
                        > save the pdf since it converted the ps that :hardcopy generated

                        (2.) happens with the system('open') call as well.

                        > Can somebody please test the attached patch before I merge this into
                        > the public repo?

                        Seems to work over here. Does the automator action guarantee that
                        "Open Finder Items" does not return until the file is opened? If not,
                        this has the same problem as using system('open') and then deleting
                        the file (with the difference that automator is several orders of
                        magnitude slower, so that the problem is not observable). Hm, it works
                        with a 82 pages document (6000 lines of 'aaaaaaaa'), so this is
                        probably ok.

                        It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte change.
                        But who cares about 5k these days :-P

                        Nico

                      • Matt Tolton
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008
                          > It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte change.
                          > But who cares about 5k these days :-P

                          TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
                          necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:

                          set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\ 60;rm\
                          '.v:fname_in.')&')

                          Matt

                        • Frank Hellenkamp
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008

                            >> It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte change.
                            >> But who cares about 5k these days :-P
                            >
                            > TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
                            > necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
                            >
                            > set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\ 60;rm\
                            > '.v:fname_in.')&')

                            And what about:

                            set printexpr=system('(ps2pdf\ '.v:fname_in.'\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;open\
                            -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;sleep\ 60;rm\ '.v:fname_in.';rm\
                            '.v:fname_in.'.pdf)&')

                            It first converts the postscript to pdf, so you won't be asked to save
                            the file.

                            Frank

                            --
                            frank hellenkamp | interface designer
                            jonas.info@... | mail
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                              > set printexpr=system('(ps2pdf\ '.v:fname_in.'\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;open\ -a\
                              > Preview\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;sleep\ 60;rm\ '.v:fname_in.';rm\
                              > '.v:fname_in.'.pdf)&')

                              Don't you have to have ghostscript installed to have ps2pdf on your system?

                            • Nico Weber
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                                >>> It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte
                                >>> change.
                                >>> But who cares about 5k these days :-P
                                >> TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
                                >> necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
                                >> set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\
                                >> 60;rm\
                                >> '.v:fname_in.')&')
                                >
                                > And what about:
                                >
                                > set printexpr=system('(ps2pdf\ '.v:fname_in.'\
                                > '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;sleep\ 60;rm
                                > \ '.v:fname_in.';rm\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf)&')
                                >
                                > It first converts the postscript to pdf, so you won't be asked to
                                > save the file.

                                That deletes the pdf after 60 seconds as well. I don't know if Preview
                                is happy about that.

                                Nico

                              • Nico Weber
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                                  >> It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte
                                  >> change.
                                  >> But who cares about 5k these days :-P
                                  >
                                  > TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
                                  > necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
                                  >
                                  > set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\ 60;rm\
                                  > '.v:fname_in.')&')

                                  This fails if Preview takes more than 60 seconds to open the file
                                  (entirely reasonable on my iBook when lots of other programs are
                                  open). The automator solution seems to work fine, and while it's a bit
                                  complex, it (seemingly) works reliably.

                                  Nico

                                • Frank Hellenkamp
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                                    >> set printexpr=system('(ps2pdf\ '.v:fname_in.'\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;open\ -a\
                                    >> Preview\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;sleep\ 60;rm\ '.v:fname_in.';rm\
                                    >> '.v:fname_in.'.pdf)&')
                                    >
                                    > Don't you have to have ghostscript installed to have ps2pdf on your system?

                                    I have a ps2pdf in /usr/bin/ so I *think* it's part of the system (I'm
                                    not sure.)

                                    Have someone a clean system without that much fiddling, which I have
                                    done with mine?

                                    I *have* an extra ghostscript install but it's in /opt/local/bin/,
                                    because it's a macports install.

                                    Frank

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                                      >>> It's a bit sad that this has to be 5k what could be a 120 byte
                                      >>> change.
                                      >>> But who cares about 5k these days :-P
                                      >> TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
                                      >> necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
                                      >>
                                      >> set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\ 60;rm\
                                      >> '.v:fname_in.')&')
                                      >
                                      > This fails if Preview takes more than 60 seconds to open the file
                                      > (entirely reasonable on my iBook when lots of other programs are
                                      > open). The automator solution seems to work fine, and while it's a bit
                                      > complex, it (seemingly) works reliably.

                                      The thing is, that the automator workflow in itself eats much resources,
                                      and thereof takes longer. The simpler scripting solution works much
                                      faster on my g4 powerbook, than the automator-solution.

                                      So it depends. We could wait much longer than 60 seconds, but sure, it
                                      is a hack, and you will have an extra process in the background for that
                                      time.

                                      Frank

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                                        >>> TBH, I think that the automator solution is more complex than
                                        >>> necessary for this task. Why aren't we doing something like this:
                                        >>> set printexpr=system('(open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.';sleep\
                                        >>> 60;rm\
                                        >>> '.v:fname_in.')&')
                                        >> And what about:
                                        >>
                                        >> set printexpr=system('(ps2pdf\ '.v:fname_in.'\
                                        >> '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;open\ -a\ Preview\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf;sleep\ 60;rm
                                        >> \ '.v:fname_in.';rm\ '.v:fname_in.'.pdf)&')
                                        >>
                                        >> It first converts the postscript to pdf, so you won't be asked to
                                        >> save the file.
                                        >
                                        > That deletes the pdf after 60 seconds as well. I don't know if Preview
                                        > is happy about that.

                                        That won't be a problem, when the file is open. The actual file won't be
                                        removed from the filesystem until it's closed.

                                        Frank

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                                          > This fails if Preview takes more than 60 seconds to open the file
                                          > (entirely reasonable on my iBook when lots of other programs are
                                          > open). The automator solution seems to work fine, and while it's a bit
                                          > complex, it (seemingly) works reliably.

                                          Let's just not delete the file, then. It will be cleared after
                                          awhile, anyway. The automator solution is slower, and it is overkill.

                                        • Matt Tolton
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 4, 2008
                                            > I have a ps2pdf in /usr/bin/ so I *think* it's part of the system (I'm not
                                            > sure.)

                                            I don't have ps2pdf on my system. However, I poked around a bit and
                                            found pstopdf, which DOES look like it is distributed with OS X.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 5, 2008

                                              I've pushed a patch which uses Nico's original suggestion without the
                                              "delete", i.e. just open the file in Preview and let it handle
                                              conversion to pdf.

                                              Although pstopdf is installed by default on both 10.4 and 10.5 it does
                                              not give the user any feedback that its processing the file. This is
                                              weird when you're trying to print a large file because it seems like
                                              nothing is happening. So using that is out.

                                              Lots of people think using Automator is overkill. I agree. For now
                                              we'll rely on OS X to delete the temp files for us. I guess this
                                              could create problems if somebody never reboots their computer and
                                              prints large documents several times a day, each day of the year.
                                              When that user complains we may already have implemented a nicer
                                              printing system so that we may smugly reply "download the latest
                                              release!". (One can always hope!)