Re: Initial Plugin Architecture patch

  • Matt Tolton
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
      Bjorn,

      While I'm thinking about it, I have a question:

      Where should I put menu items that belong to the plugin system, but
      not to a plugin. For example, I need to add something like "Toggle
      Left Drawer". Should I just add these to the plugin menu when the
      plugin system starts up, and add a separator after them? It seems
      like it might be nice to have that one specifically in the Window
      menu, but isn't that essentially owned by the vim process?

      Matt

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008

        > I've pushed your patch to the public repo. I did some rearrangement
        > to get a nice commit history so please go over it quickly to make sure
        > I didn't introduce any errors (I've looked it over too, of course).

        from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
        called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
        (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
        menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
        have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.

        Nico

      • Matt Tolton
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
          > from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
          > called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
          > (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
          > menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
          > have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.

          Yep. Have a suggestion as to an alternative?

          Matt

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
            >> from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
            >> called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
            >> (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
            >> menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
            >> have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.
            >
            > Yep. Have a suggestion as to an alternative?

            The MacVim plugins menu could be called "Plugin" as well, and contain
            vim plugin menu entries at the bottom, after a separator. I.e.:

            Plugins:
            General MacVim plugin stuff
            separator
            list of MacVim plugins
            separator
            menu entries of vim plugins

            Nico

          • Matt Tolton
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
              > Plugins:
              > General MacVim plugin stuff
              > separator
              > list of MacVim plugins
              > separator
              > menu entries of vim plugins

              I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
              MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?

            • Nico Weber
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                >> Plugins:
                >> General MacVim plugin stuff
                >> separator
                >> list of MacVim plugins
                >> separator
                >> menu entries of vim plugins
                >
                > I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
                > MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?

                Yes.

              • George Harker
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Plugin stuff looks awesome.

                  One small thing - I couldn't tell how to reopen the drawer if I close
                  it. I may just be stupidly missing it

                  Cheers

                  George

                  On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                  >>> Plugins:
                  >>> General MacVim plugin stuff
                  >>> separator
                  >>> list of MacVim plugins
                  >>> separator
                  >>> menu entries of vim plugins
                  >>
                  >> I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
                  >> MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?
                  >
                  > Yes.

                • Matt Tolton
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                    Hi George,

                    > One small thing - I couldn't tell how to reopen the drawer if I close
                    > it. I may just be stupidly missing it

                    Right now there isn't a way to reopen it. I will be adding this sometime soon.

                    Matt