Re: Initial Plugin Architecture patch

    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
      Matt,

      I've pushed your patch to the public repo. I did some rearrangement
      to get a nice commit history so please go over it quickly to make sure
      I didn't introduce any errors (I've looked it over too, of course).

      I have two feature requests for you:

      1. Add plugin versioning. Just something simple like
      "<major>.<minor>" where the plugin manager only loads the plugin if
      its major version matches (which would change if the interface
      changes). You can use CFBundleVersion inside each plugin's Info.plist
      for the version number (starting with e.g. 1.0). We're already doing
      something similar in the "Integration pane" of the prefs panel with
      the input manager, if you want to take a look at that. I'm sure you
      know what I mean, but let me know if I'm being vague.

      2. Add plugin preference pane. It would be nice to be able to
      enable/disable plugins by ticking a check-box (it's ok if you have to
      restart for this to take effect).

      I'd say the former is important and the second is not. We need a
      versioning scheme before people start writing plugins or chaos will
      ensue.

    • Matt Tolton
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
        > I've pushed your patch to the public repo. I did some rearrangement
        > to get a nice commit history so please go over it quickly to make sure
        > I didn't introduce any errors (I've looked it over too, of course).

        Great! I'll look at it.

        > I have two feature requests for you:
        >
        > 1. Add plugin versioning. Just something simple like
        > "<major>.<minor>" where the plugin manager only loads the plugin if
        > its major version matches (which would change if the interface
        > changes). You can use CFBundleVersion inside each plugin's Info.plist
        > for the version number (starting with e.g. 1.0). We're already doing
        > something similar in the "Integration pane" of the prefs panel with
        > the input manager, if you want to take a look at that. I'm sure you
        > know what I mean, but let me know if I'm being vague.

        Ok, I'll do this soon.

        > 2. Add plugin preference pane. It would be nice to be able to
        > enable/disable plugins by ticking a check-box (it's ok if you have to
        > restart for this to take effect).

        I will probably wait on this until it feels more necessary, if that's
        ok. There are some other things that I'd like to do that seem more
        important (like implementing autocmd notifications).

        Matt

        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
          2008/7/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:

          >> 2. Add plugin preference pane. It would be nice to be able to
          >> enable/disable plugins by ticking a check-box (it's ok if you have to
          >> restart for this to take effect).
          >
          > I will probably wait on this until it feels more necessary, if that's
          > ok. There are some other things that I'd like to do that seem more
          > important (like implementing autocmd notifications).

          Of course. I don't think this is very important...it's easy to just
          move the plugin from its folder so that it does not get loaded.
          Auto-command support seem by far more important (and useful).

        • Matt Tolton
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
            Bjorn,

            While I'm thinking about it, I have a question:

            Where should I put menu items that belong to the plugin system, but
            not to a plugin. For example, I need to add something like "Toggle
            Left Drawer". Should I just add these to the plugin menu when the
            plugin system starts up, and add a separator after them? It seems
            like it might be nice to have that one specifically in the Window
            menu, but isn't that essentially owned by the vim process?

            Matt

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008

              > I've pushed your patch to the public repo. I did some rearrangement
              > to get a nice commit history so please go over it quickly to make sure
              > I didn't introduce any errors (I've looked it over too, of course).

              from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
              called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
              (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
              menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
              have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.

              Nico

            • Matt Tolton
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                > from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
                > called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
                > (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
                > menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
                > have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.

                Yep. Have a suggestion as to an alternative?

                Matt

              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                  >> from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
                  >> called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
                  >> (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
                  >> menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
                  >> have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.
                  >
                  > Yep. Have a suggestion as to an alternative?

                  The MacVim plugins menu could be called "Plugin" as well, and contain
                  vim plugin menu entries at the bottom, after a separator. I.e.:

                  Plugins:
                  General MacVim plugin stuff
                  separator
                  list of MacVim plugins
                  separator
                  menu entries of vim plugins

                  Nico

                • Matt Tolton
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                    > Plugins:
                    > General MacVim plugin stuff
                    > separator
                    > list of MacVim plugins
                    > separator
                    > menu entries of vim plugins

                    I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
                    MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?

                  • Nico Weber
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                      >> Plugins:
                      >> General MacVim plugin stuff
                      >> separator
                      >> list of MacVim plugins
                      >> separator
                      >> menu entries of vim plugins
                      >
                      > I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
                      > MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?

                      Yes.

                    • George Harker
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                        Plugin stuff looks awesome.

                        One small thing - I couldn't tell how to reopen the drawer if I close
                        it. I may just be stupidly missing it

                        Cheers

                        George

                        On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                        >>> Plugins:
                        >>> General MacVim plugin stuff
                        >>> separator
                        >>> list of MacVim plugins
                        >>> separator
                        >>> menu entries of vim plugins
                        >>
                        >> I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
                        >> MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?
                        >
                        > Yes.

                      • Matt Tolton
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Hi George,

                          > One small thing - I couldn't tell how to reopen the drawer if I close
                          > it. I may just be stupidly missing it

                          Right now there isn't a way to reopen it. I will be adding this sometime soon.

                          Matt