Re: Initial Plugin Architecture patch

  • Matt Tolton
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 30, 2008
      > I did apply your patches, recompiled, build the plugin example
      > and put it into ~/Library/Application Support/MacVim.

      Wrong directory...it should be:

      ~/Library/Application Support/MacVim/PlugIns/

      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
        Matt,

        I've pushed your patch to the public repo. I did some rearrangement
        to get a nice commit history so please go over it quickly to make sure
        I didn't introduce any errors (I've looked it over too, of course).

        I have two feature requests for you:

        1. Add plugin versioning. Just something simple like
        "<major>.<minor>" where the plugin manager only loads the plugin if
        its major version matches (which would change if the interface
        changes). You can use CFBundleVersion inside each plugin's Info.plist
        for the version number (starting with e.g. 1.0). We're already doing
        something similar in the "Integration pane" of the prefs panel with
        the input manager, if you want to take a look at that. I'm sure you
        know what I mean, but let me know if I'm being vague.

        2. Add plugin preference pane. It would be nice to be able to
        enable/disable plugins by ticking a check-box (it's ok if you have to
        restart for this to take effect).

        I'd say the former is important and the second is not. We need a
        versioning scheme before people start writing plugins or chaos will
        ensue.

      • Matt Tolton
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
          > I've pushed your patch to the public repo. I did some rearrangement
          > to get a nice commit history so please go over it quickly to make sure
          > I didn't introduce any errors (I've looked it over too, of course).

          Great! I'll look at it.

          > I have two feature requests for you:
          >
          > 1. Add plugin versioning. Just something simple like
          > "<major>.<minor>" where the plugin manager only loads the plugin if
          > its major version matches (which would change if the interface
          > changes). You can use CFBundleVersion inside each plugin's Info.plist
          > for the version number (starting with e.g. 1.0). We're already doing
          > something similar in the "Integration pane" of the prefs panel with
          > the input manager, if you want to take a look at that. I'm sure you
          > know what I mean, but let me know if I'm being vague.

          Ok, I'll do this soon.

          > 2. Add plugin preference pane. It would be nice to be able to
          > enable/disable plugins by ticking a check-box (it's ok if you have to
          > restart for this to take effect).

          I will probably wait on this until it feels more necessary, if that's
          ok. There are some other things that I'd like to do that seem more
          important (like implementing autocmd notifications).

          Matt

          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
            2008/7/1 Matt Tolton <matt@...>:

            >> 2. Add plugin preference pane. It would be nice to be able to
            >> enable/disable plugins by ticking a check-box (it's ok if you have to
            >> restart for this to take effect).
            >
            > I will probably wait on this until it feels more necessary, if that's
            > ok. There are some other things that I'd like to do that seem more
            > important (like implementing autocmd notifications).

            Of course. I don't think this is very important...it's easy to just
            move the plugin from its folder so that it does not get loaded.
            Auto-command support seem by far more important (and useful).

          • Matt Tolton
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
              Bjorn,

              While I'm thinking about it, I have a question:

              Where should I put menu items that belong to the plugin system, but
              not to a plugin. For example, I need to add something like "Toggle
              Left Drawer". Should I just add these to the plugin menu when the
              plugin system starts up, and add a separator after them? It seems
              like it might be nice to have that one specifically in the Window
              menu, but isn't that essentially owned by the vim process?

              Matt

            • Nico Weber
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008

                > I've pushed your patch to the public repo. I did some rearrangement
                > to get a nice commit history so please go over it quickly to make sure
                > I didn't introduce any errors (I've looked it over too, of course).

                from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
                called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
                (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
                menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
                have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.

                Nico

              • Matt Tolton
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                  > from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
                  > called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
                  > (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
                  > menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
                  > have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.

                  Yep. Have a suggestion as to an alternative?

                  Matt

                • Nico Weber
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                    >> from the patch this looks as if there will be a menu item inserted
                    >> called "Plug-Ins" when there's at least one plug-in. Many vim plugins
                    >> (NERDCommenter, Rails, VCSCommand) put stuff into a global "Plugin"
                    >> menu. So if you have both MacVim plugins and those plugins, you'll
                    >> have both "Plugin" and "Plug-Ins" in your menu bar. This is weird.
                    >
                    > Yep. Have a suggestion as to an alternative?

                    The MacVim plugins menu could be called "Plugin" as well, and contain
                    vim plugin menu entries at the bottom, after a separator. I.e.:

                    Plugins:
                    General MacVim plugin stuff
                    separator
                    list of MacVim plugins
                    separator
                    menu entries of vim plugins

                    Nico

                  • Matt Tolton
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                      > Plugins:
                      > General MacVim plugin stuff
                      > separator
                      > list of MacVim plugins
                      > separator
                      > menu entries of vim plugins

                      I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
                      MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?

                    • Nico Weber
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                        >> Plugins:
                        >> General MacVim plugin stuff
                        >> separator
                        >> list of MacVim plugins
                        >> separator
                        >> menu entries of vim plugins
                        >
                        > I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
                        > MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?

                        Yes.

                      • George Harker
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Plugin stuff looks awesome.

                          One small thing - I couldn't tell how to reopen the drawer if I close
                          it. I may just be stupidly missing it

                          Cheers

                          George

                          On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                          >>> Plugins:
                          >>> General MacVim plugin stuff
                          >>> separator
                          >>> list of MacVim plugins
                          >>> separator
                          >>> menu entries of vim plugins
                          >>
                          >> I assume "list of MacVim plugins" just means "menu entries added by
                          >> MacVim plugins"? Is that correct?
                          >
                          > Yes.

                        • Matt Tolton
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 1, 2008
                            Hi George,

                            > One small thing - I couldn't tell how to reopen the drawer if I close
                            > it. I may just be stupidly missing it

                            Right now there isn't a way to reopen it. I will be adding this sometime soon.

                            Matt