Re: X11 for OS X

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
      Benji Fisher sez:
      [...]
      } If this catches on, we may not need the Carbon version anymore. Then
      } again, there may still be users who would rather download a 3-MB text
      } editor than a who-knows-how-big windowing system. (Did anyone say
      } GIMP?)
      }
      } I know some on this list are already using Vim with XDarwin. Any
      } comments on pros and cons?

      Executive summary: Keep going with the Carbon version, the X11 version
      is an enhancement, not a replacement.

      I use three different varieties of vim on my MacOS X box. I use the
      (Fink-installed) X11 vim when I am working in X. I use the Carbon
      version when I am working from a Terminal window. I use the terminal
      version when I am logged in over ssh. I do all three and find it vastly
      convenient that I can have multiple vim windows open in XDarwin, or use
      a GUI vim even though XDarwin isn't currently running, or run in the
      terminal when I want to start it quickly or when I don't have a GUI
      available. For that matter, I use vim on Windows when I am forced to use
      windows. A vim for every UI and a UI for every need.

      Incidentally, it would give me a warm, tingly feeling if I could install
      a single package and have Carbon, X11, and terminal versions all in the
      same binary. That would rock.

      } --Benji Fisher
      --Greg
    • Baptiste Calmès
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2003
        Hello,

        11 jan 2003, à 12:33 Asia/Muscat, Sébastien Pierre wrote:

        > CarbonVim does not make proper text encoding... ie. if you want to
        > edit a text in latin-1, latin-2 or utf-8 you will have a lot of
        > problems. That's why I'm using the X11 version of Vim, and I'm pretty
        > sure I'm not the only one to do so.
        >
        > CarbonVim would be more attractive otherwise (mainly because of the
        > menubar and the Monaco font)...maybe someone will finally use iconv in
        > CarbonVim ?
        >
        > -- Sébastien

        I use the X11 vim exactly for the same reason.

        Baptiste Calmès